New Mazda!

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

So, after driving my 17GT for awhile, my wife is talking about getting a 17 or 18 model year. She knows that she wants the same drive level as mine, but we are torn on whether or not we should get the Premium Package is HUD, etc.?

We did drive one with that package and it was pretty neat, but we are not sure if we can justify the extra money for it. I personally could careless. I love my GT. Sometimes I wonder if the HUD would be more distracting than anything.

Anyway, what did you all do? Is the HUD worth it? I know you get the rear heated seats as well, but the HUD is the important factor here.

I’ve got the HUD but if I’d had the option of opting out for a suitable reduction I certainly don’t need it. The Speedo is only just underneath it.

I have a plastic Hud that pops up when you start the Engine and has all the information that the on windshield hud has but is cheaper. It does not distract because the focus Point for the road Surface and the hud is slightly different. You can easily ignore it or even shut it completely if you want to. It has navigation directions , along with the lane change and cross traffic alert on the hood. And that is nice.

I like the HUD. You can get all the info you need without glancing down. It is adjustable as well up and down plus you can determine what to put up there. Is it necessary? Nope but I wouldn’t turn it down on a good deal.

After test drives of the CX-9 and CX-5, I'm uncertain about the HUD because the readability depends on what it's projected in front of. When there was good contrast between the HUD and the background, it was definitely quicker to read the HUD than looking down into the instrument cluster. But there were times during my test drives where it was hard to read the HUD, and in those cases I think I would be more distracted by trying to read the HUD first and then falling back on the instrument cluster.

After test drives of the CX-9 and CX-5, I'm uncertain about the HUD because the readability depends on what it's projected in front of. When there was good contrast between the HUD and the background, it was definitely quicker to read the HUD than looking down into the instrument cluster. But there were times during my test drives where it was hard to read the HUD, and in those cases I think I would be more distracted by trying to read the HUD first and then falling back on the instrument cluster.

You can change the position, and brightness (i.e. how well it stands out).

Hello!

So, after driving my 17GT for awhile, my wife is talking about getting a 17 or 18 model year. She knows that she wants the same drive level as mine, but we are torn on whether or not we should get the Premium Package is HUD, etc.?

We did drive one with that package and it was pretty neat, but we are not sure if we can justify the extra money for it. I personally could careless. I love my GT. Sometimes I wonder if the HUD would be more distracting than anything.

Anyway, what did you all do? Is the HUD worth it? I know you get the rear heated seats as well, but the HUD is the important factor here.

I just got a 2018 CX-5 GT with the Tech package. I am not entirely sure how it differs from the U.S.Premium package as the GT here in Canada already has the heated steering wheel, heated rear passenger seats, etc but the Tech package has the HUD, but also high beam control system, distance recognition support, smart brake support, radar cruise control, traffic sign recognition, lane assist, lane departure warning system, etc. The HUD alone would not have been "worth" the extra $1,500 for me but with all that other stuff...it is. I did have the HUD activated all weekend and I actually really like it, did not find it distracting at all.

The HUD is a very nice feature and adjustable as like other said. I test drove it on the '17 and it was visible even on a bright day. Plus you can show this off to your friends for a quick amazement. Can't wait to see it on mine. Like RedCatSoul, you are not just paying for the HUD, you are also paying for other safety features that I wish it is a mandatory add-on on all cars without an extra fee.

A little off topic for RedCatSoul, just wondering if yours come with paddle shifters as it is stated on the Mazda Canada website. I am just waiting to pick up my '18 GT Tech this Saturday and wondering if it does come with paddle shifters.

The 2 times I test drove the GT and Akera confirmed to me yes HUD is worth extra cost

The HUD Is the reason I would get the Premium Package. It's too expensive, but I'd probably pay more if I had to.

The HUD is my favourite part of the car, I think it's great having the information right in front of you, I've never had a problem seeing it and I missed it over Christmas when I was away with a rental car.

Totally worth it in my book.

2018s have safety suite even in Sport trim. See if a Sport with iActiv works. Check out the seats etc. 18 is going to have more feature but might have less discount on avg.
Even if you go for 17s I see virtually no reason for above Touring with PEP. PEP is awesome. Gives you all the things that are common favorites - does not force you to get moonroof etc like MY16 did.
Never will I recommend a GT to anyone - Windshield replacement is about 1100 - 1500 bucks lol. 19s are probably going to run $150-250 extra a set and ride would be harsh for a family.

2018s have safety suite even in Sport trim. See if a Sport with iActiv works. Check out the seats etc. 18 is going to have more feature but might have less discount on avg.
Even if you go for 17s I see virtually no reason for above Touring with PEP. PEP is awesome. Gives you all the things that are common favorites - does not force you to get moonroof etc like MY16 did.
Never will I recommend a GT to anyone - Windshield replacement is about 1100 - 1500 bucks lol. 19s are probably going to run $150-250 extra a set and ride would be harsh for a family.

I want leather and Head Up Display, and integrated garage opener transmitter. Don't need moonroof, ugly 19" wheels, satellite radio, or more speakers.

Windshield replacement is getting to be expensive even without a HUD, thanks to things like acoustic interlayers and wiper heating elements.

Is the HUD auto-dimming at night?

At the moments when I found it hard to read, it was because of sun glare, glint, a bright license plate right in front of it, etc. I'd probably want the brightness cranked up during the day, but turned down a bit at night.

I had the HUD on my 3, but didn't get premium on the CX5, and I kinda miss it. It probably wouldn't make a difference if you never had it, but once you have it, you definitely get spoiled by it. Next Mazda will have it.

My 2014 Mazda 3 has the flip up HUD so I'm used to having it and appreciate it on that car that it projects directly to the windshield. Only issue I had was when wearing polarized sunglasses. I have rx Oakley sunglasses and it makes the HUD really dim. Ever since I tinted the windshield I never had any issues with it since. I love the HUD :)

Windshield replacement is getting to be expensive even without a HUD, thanks to things like acoustic interlayers and wiper heating elements.

Is the HUD auto-dimming at night?

At the moments when I found it hard to read, it was because of sun glare, glint, a bright license plate right in front of it, etc. I'd probably want the brightness cranked up during the day, but turned down a bit at night.

Should be. have you checked the settings in MZD connect (uhm)

Back