Just back from dealership - and below are some interesting findings!

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Just back from dealership for fixing my latch in the center console. It seems with my car, they have now officially touched 100 - i.e. 100 cars where this center latch broke within warranty.
I asked them what's the list looking like and here's the list:

Years: 2015 and up:
CX-3 : Smoked/cloudy/foggy headlights , around 90 as of now (few CX-5, but exclusively 2016, not even 2016.5)
CX-5 : Windshield replacement - head to toe with headlights.
CX-5 : Transmission replacement - around 30 with max as part of power train warranty. [Note: The owner/management is spread across 3 dealerships in NJ, NY and CT]
Both : Rear brake pads ~ about 30 till now, within base warranty.
Both : Something called EGR or EVR related to emissions - around 30 till now but spread to include the emissions warranty and goes from start of CX-3/CX-5 line-up.

Should mention - no electrical - they dont have numbers as its done by specialized tech.

Just back from dealership for fixing my latch in the center console. It seems with my car, they have now officially touched 100 - i.e. 100 cars where this center latch broke within warranty.

CX-3 : Smoked/cloudy/foggy headlights , around 90 as of now (few CX-5, but exclusively 2016, not even 2016.5)
CX-5 : Transmission replacement - around 30 with max as part of power train warranty. [Note: The owner/management is spread across 3 dealerships in NJ, NY and CT]
Both : Something called EGR or EVR related to emissions - around 30 till now but spread to include the emissions warranty and goes from start of CX-3/CX-5 line-up.

I’m surprised (and impressed) they shared all that with you.

Im surprised (and impressed) they shared all that with you.
Because youre here not long enough and you dont know what bmninada had been dealing with Mazda North American Operations ⋯ ;)

Well my years of testing vehicles still won’t let me react to this information. For example, the rear brake pads were only ever changed as part of the electric parking brake warranty. Think about that.

There are several other anomalies too. I don’t know why somebody would fabricate this stuff but it’s too vague for my liking.

Well my years of testing vehicles still won’t let me react to this information. For example, the rear brake pads were only ever changed as part of the electric parking brake warranty. Think about that.

There are several other anomalies too. I don’t know why somebody would fabricate this stuff but it’s too vague for my liking.

Anchorman: I have a huge respect for your knowledge about Mazda, which you've repeatedly exhibited. This is the information I received directly from the dealership's management who manages 3 dealerships across the 3 states. The reason they provided this information is known contacts I have with them which is extremely close relationship with someone. 2 of the dealerships also has Toyota. In reality, they (management) have more complaints with Toyota than Mazda even after taking into account the higher sale of Toyota. This information is gleamed via a software called "Hyperion" by Oracle which essentially performs business intelligence reports.
Your comment against rear brake pads: I will be frank here - I did not go into specifics of whether these were replaced due to wear of pads or due to electronic brakes. However, if I am to take a guess then you're right as they did mention its under base or 36 month warranty. I know 100% in this dealership they wont repair pads beyond 1 year under warranty.

My focus was more on the transmission - and I hope to get more inputs which I'll post shortly.

I followed up with NA Operations on this. I have also sent an International post to a particular address and person in JP. As and when will get something, will respond. Currently, I have been asked to do a survey for them and I'm in discussion with them (JP) on 1 item: viability of family friendly car - 7 to 8 seat but not a "van".

Interesting. My son's brand new Mazda 3 had foggy lights from day 1. They replaced them within a month of ownership and did not think much more about it.

Why were the Windshields replaced? Mine is cracked (foot long) and chipped pretty bad, I was wondering if there was a defect in manufacturing or something...I have the Soul Red and the paint is chipping off too, I know that is a whole other thread...

Why were the Windshields replaced? Mine is cracked (foot long) and chipped pretty bad, I was wondering if there was a defect in manufacturing or something...I have the Soul Red and the paint is chipping off too, I know that is a whole other thread...
There're many cracked windshield discussions on CX-5 in this forum. And there’re way too many cracked windshield complaints at NHTSA website too.

re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Currently, I have been asked to do a survey for them and I'm in discussion with them (JP) on 1 item: viability of family friendly car - 7 to 8 seat but not a "van".

They need a survey to determine the viability of the second fastest growing segment of the market????

And don't they have a North American division to do these sorts of surveys?

They need a survey to determine the viability of the second fastest growing segment of the market????

And don't they have a North American division to do these sorts of surveys?

@ Red : Call me stupid but I shot my own foot here. I needed car #2. A friend of mine told me to band together and it seems FB is great for that. I sent out a message and also in LinkedIn. Within 15 days, I had altogether 8 of us all wanting vehicle #2 - a compact to mid-size sedan. Anyways, long story short in Dec. we started hunting but guess what : most families do NOT want Mazda as their wives/family members want to more sedate car, etc., etc. So - I as an idiot decided to inform Mazda US via an email. Next thing I know I get a call from an heavily accented individual from JP, someone Kogai-san. Anyways, I had some other inputs to share, collected some data also and he asked me if I can participate, once monthly only. I agreed. We both agreed there's no $$ benefits, etc. Thus: my inputs.

On a side note - my old peeve - i.e. integrated traffic: I also reiterated. LOL.

Are you able to get inside info about Apple CarPlay and Android Auto? (sorry, had to ask!)

@ Red : Call me stupid but I shot my own foot here. I needed car #2. A friend of mine told me to band together and it seems FB is great for that. I sent out a message and also in LinkedIn. Within 15 days, I had altogether 8 of us all wanting vehicle #2 - a compact to mid-size sedan. Anyways, long story short in Dec. we started hunting but guess what : most families do NOT want Mazda as their wives/family members want to more sedate car, etc., etc. So - I as an idiot decided to inform Mazda US via an email. Next thing I know I get a call from an heavily accented individual from JP, someone Kogai-san. Anyways, I had some other inputs to share, collected some data also and he asked me if I can participate, once monthly only. I agreed. We both agreed there's no $$ benefits, etc. Thus: my inputs.

On a side note - my old peeve - i.e. integrated traffic: I also reiterated. LOL.

Interesting experience. It almost sounds like Mazda JP don't entirely trust Mazda NA on reading the US market.

Interesting experience. It almost sounds like Mazda JP don't entirely trust Mazda NA on reading the US market.

Could be true as they had pull out with 1 model and currently their CX-3 is doing rather badly. The only thing going for them is CX3 has AWD whereas M3-Hatchback doesn't. But AWD is asked for, only in small portions within US.

Although I did buy CX-5 AWD if I need to now - I'd rather buy the FWD and save the money in purchasing 4 winter/snow tires instead.

Could be true as they had pull out with 1 model and currently their CX-3 is doing rather badly. The only thing going for them is CX3 has AWD whereas M3-Hatchback doesn't. But AWD is asked for, only in small portions within US.

Although I did buy CX-5 AWD if I need to now - I'd rather buy the FWD and save the money in purchasing 4 winter/snow tires instead.
I think they would have had more luck if instead of selling the CX-3 here, they would sell an AWD Mazda3 hatchback instead.

I think they would have had more luck if instead of selling the CX-3 here, they would sell an AWD Mazda3 hatchback instead.

I think the dealer network plays a big role. Toyota will sell 2X as many Mazda 2's as Mazda ever did. Heck, the same is true of the CX-3's. And I don't think I have ever seen an ad for the Yaris iA.

Back