AWD: 80W-90 vs Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil - What's the difference?

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
What is exactly the difference between the Mazda 80W-90 gear oil vs the Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil for CX5's with AWD?

It's almost double the price per quart. Where can one find the Mazda Hypoid oil for less online?

Last edited:
What is exactly the difference between the Mazda 80W-90 gear oil vs the Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil for CX5's with AWD?

It's almost double the price per quart. Where can one find the Mazda Hypoid oil for less online?

TBH, no idea but as a modern transmission element linke a diff containing what is probably a sintered metal multi plate clutch and possibly synthetic plastic and rubber components, I personally stick with the genuine stuff which won’t void a warranty claim. It only takes an eyeful every what? Three years?

You have probably seen this posted many times over the years but in US we have the following law enacted in 1975: "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act"

If a manufacture requires their part or fluid for replacement they are supposed to be on the hook for providing for free. Not sure how closely this has been pursued but for example... Mazda can't deny my warranty claim in a failure scenario since I used an equivalent Amsoil fluid in the rear diff.

EDIT: Here is Amsoil's warranty & legal process if OEM claims failure caused by their product

Last edited:
I personally would only use the Mazda specified fluid for that particular part. There are too many variables with these complicated awd systems. For a normal Fwd or rear diff, using other brands should not affect anything as long as they meet mfg specs.

You have probably seen this posted many times over the years but in US we have the following law enacted in 1975: "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act"

If a manufacture requires their part or fluid for replacement they are supposed to be on the hook for providing for free. Not sure how closely this has been pursued but for example... Mazda can't deny my warranty claim in a failure scenario since I used an equivalent Amsoil fluid in the rear diff.

Within warranty period, I would just go with what Mazda recommends.
Just to save my effort in arguing with Mazda in case something bad happens.

CX's before '16 were just spec'd for 80W-90 for rear diff and transfer ...there was no OEM version

Please go with the $69 (costly) version. I can't find the thread but this was asked before. Someone actually sent for analysis the new vs. old version and guess what - it seems the new version has substantially more something which increases their resistance to higher temp. In fact, pre 2016, those who changed the rear diff. reported the oil to be very black but 2016 owners seem to report "quite clear". Someone in that same thread actually called up Mazda Corp and had been provided a similar explanation. I would NOT risk it.

Please go with the $69 (costly) version. I can't find the thread but this was asked before. Someone actually sent for analysis the new vs. old version and guess what - it seems the new version has substantially more something which increases their resistance to higher temp. In fact, pre 2016, those who changed the rear diff. reported the oil to be very black but 2016 owners seem to report "quite clear". Someone in that same thread actually called up Mazda Corp and had been provided a similar explanation. I would NOT risk it.

Mine was actually pretty clear but was a low fill from factory. I couldn’t feel fluid level through fill hole. Replacement criteria as per fsm is to right at the bottom of fill hole.

This comes up quite often where Mazda have broken with convention and given a capacity rather than fill until full.

The rear diff on the new model is equipped with very low friction ball bearings which reduce drag and the oil is this SG1 high tech synthetic stuff. The capacity for you guys is shown as 3.7-3.1 qts and it doesnt matter that it doesnt reach the level plug. They have done all their development work with that amount of oil in and the quantity added in the works is very precisely controlled just like every single bottle of Heinz ketchup. If they underfill, they are breaking the law and if they overfill by one drop it costs a fortune. You can back the car onto a ramp and when changing the oil, just add the specified amount and it doesnt matter that it is leaning forward, just put the plug in and go. It will not reach the level plug.

Unfortunate they give contradictory advice in service manual.

While quantity is listed they still say "Add the specified differential oil from the filler plug until the level reaches the brim of the plug hole."

I guess this just affirms no harm in "technical" overfill from spec at potential loss of efficiency

Unfortunate they give contradictory advice in service manual.

While quantity is listed they still say "Add the specified differential oil from the filler plug until the level reaches the brim of the plug hole."

I guess this just affirms no harm in "technical" overfill from spec at potential loss of efficiency

Yes, I have to admit that the information contradicts itself.

That is a great price. Is it the real deal?
The list price for Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 (0000-77-SG1-QT) is $29.95, $21.38 - 29% off is a possible price to sell but they may charge more for shipping. $69 quoted by bmninada can’t be correct.

I’d get 2 quarts of SG1 for your 2016 CX-5 and do both front transfer case and real differential as the specified capacity for each is 0.48 quarts. 0.37 quarts on rear differential is for 2017 CX-5 and newer. I’d do the job based on Mazda Factory Service Manual and the procedure from all other car manufactures: "Add the specified differential oil from the filler plug until the level reaches the brim of the plug hole", and it’d need about 0.75 quarts for the real differential.

Back