Usually the 1st. thing fails after warranty?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Other than brakes/battery/tires/wipers/bulbs/etc - what's usually the 1st. thing that requires fixing after warranty with the assumption that maintenance was done good/well?

I meant - sensors/etc. In my ex-Hyundai - by the clock almost -the o2 sensors failed right after the initial 5 year warranty. Corolla (Toyota) - the water pump. Honda Civic - alternator. BMW - too big a list..:)

I meant - sensors/etc. In my ex-Hyundai - by the clock almost -the o2 sensors failed right after the initial 5 year warranty. Corolla (Toyota) - the water pump. Honda Civic - alternator. BMW - too big a list..:)

I've had odd stuff die, like radiators without trauma involved, often times motor mounts, etc. will give up the ghost and rot/tear, so on and so forth, it all depends on make and model really.

I cannot speak to the CX 5 but my wife's 2007 Mazda 3 it was the thermostat at year 8 and the alternator last year. This year, it was one of the motor mounts was leaking and was replaced.

On my 2013 Mazdaspeed3, nothing has failed yet and I'm at 75k miles. On my old 2010 Mazda3, the side skirts got loose at around 70k miles. On my CX-5, the transmission was replaced at 15k miles and headlights replaced at 24k miles LOL.

I believe the o2 sensors are covered by the separate EMISSIONS warranty... (7 yr 100k)?

In my 1st. Hyundai Santa and few of my friends suffered too - the O2 sensors died 1 by 1. Those days the emissions coverage wasn't good enough. Anyways - not sure of these days. Personally, after lurking in this forum for sometime - other than a batch of problem headlights (LED) there aren't any recurring issues I think. Alternator after 7 years of usage or the thermostat - that can be expected or even the water pump.

Just wondering - for my 2016 CX5-GT, is there any requirement to change belts, like (say) after XX miles? Serpentine belt / timing belt / etc. ? Those are usually pretty costly, from labor perspective.

Just wondering - for my 2016 CX5-GT, is there any requirement to change belts, like (say) after XX miles? Serpentine belt / timing belt / etc. ? Those are usually pretty costly, from labor perspective.

Vehicle has a timing chain so effectively that is a life part... I know they do wear out at some point but I have never kept a vehicle beyond 200k miles either.

Serpentine belts are pretty easy to change from my experience..... especially now that everything has automatic tensioners

In my 1st. Hyundai Santa and few of my friends suffered too - the O2 sensors died 1 by 1. Those days the emissions coverage wasn't good enough. Anyways - not sure of these days. Personally, after lurking in this forum for sometime - other than a batch of problem headlights (LED) there aren't any recurring issues I think. Alternator after 7 years of usage or the thermostat - that can be expected or even the water pump.

Many emissions control components such as oxygen sensor and fuel fller cap are covered by federal mandated 8-year or 80,000-mile Emission Design and Defect Warranty.

For 2016 CX-5, drive belts including serpentine belt are scheduled to inspect every 30 months or 22,500 miles under Scheldie 1 Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Interval. No replacement schedule specified.

And no timng belt.

If I had to guess I'd say A/C components. Maybe the compressor clutch, this is a sore spot on a otherwise bulletproof Honda CR-V. Mazda probably uses a similar design.

First thing to fail after 3 year/30k mile bumper to bumper? So far nothing, though my AC/Heater is making some noises, it still technically works perfectly. I guess I can say one of my tail-lights burned out and I replaced the bulb, and my rear brakes. But not really warranty items.

First thing to fail after 5 year/60k mile powertrain? Don't know as I am at 59k miles - 5 years in April. :p

So far mine has been rock solid.

Last edited:
I spoke to my friends owning a Mazda and they know a lot of service guys. Yes - rock solid nothing in particular except the usual brakes/etc. However, they also stated its A/c / heating components have usually complaints after bumper-2-bumper warranty. But again many are due to these recharge kits which actually should be prohibited (in my opinion).

Hmm so pretty much lines up with my experience with mine. I have never had a recharge though.

I do plan to get my AC/Heater looked at.

For the CX-5 2013-2017 it'll be the car battery as the lowest common denominator.

Back