CX-5 Diesel inquiry - Response From Mazda

:
2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black
I about lost it yesterday. Months ago I'd signed up to receive updates about the CX-5 diesel on the Mazda USA website and haven't heard a single damned thing from them as 2nd half 2017 comes to a close. So when they sent me an unsolicited email about the Mazda 6 and how it is getting the 2.5T, I was not happy.

I sent Mazda an email to express that disappointment to them and to ask them not to send me emails about the Mazda 6 in which I have no interest. The following is their reply.

Service Request Number 1-xxxxxxxx

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxx,

Its great to hear from you Mr. xxxxxxxxx! I appreciate your interest in Mazda and would love to have you as part of the family.

Im so glad that you asked about the Mazda CX-5 Diesel and would be happy to clarify.

I was able to research your question and confirmed, Mazda remains committed to bringing a SKYACTIV-D diesel engine to the North American market in the Mazda CX-5 crossover SUV, as we announced at the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show. We continue to work with EPA and CARB on final certification, and will have further information about on-sale dates as soon as certification is complete.

I am so sorry to hear that you have received no updates from our marketing group after signing up on our web site, I will make sure your comments are forwarded to our marketing and product planning team for further review. I will let you know if they provide any response to me directly.

I am also hoping there will be more information at the press conference at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show today at 10:30 AM, stay tuned!

Thank you for taking the time to contact us today. I appreciate your interest in Mazda and hope you are driving your new Mazda CX-5 Diesel soon!​

Speak with your money and buy something else.

If they were smart about it, they would have started this EPA/CARB certification long before announcing it last year at the LA Auto show but nooooooooooo, can't do that because it would leak to the press that they were planning on releasing a diesel engine. Instead, they foolishly announce it at the LA Auto show as a marketing ploy only to find out there are major issues with the emissions. I'm guessing their brilliant marketing department made that decision, the same one who thought up those stupid 'hand sculped Mazda' commercials.

What's unclear is if the EPA and CARB are the cause of the delays, or if their diesel failed either the EPA or CARBs requirements and they are having to rework something on the engine.

Speak with your money and buy something else.

If they were smart about it, they would have started this EPA/CARB certification long before announcing it last year at the LA Auto show but nooooooooooo, can't do that because it would leak to the press that they were planning on releasing a diesel engine. Instead, they foolishly announce it at the LA Auto show as a marketing ploy only to find out there are major issues with the emissions. I'm guessing their brilliant marketing department made that decision, the same one who thought up those stupid 'hand sculped Mazda' commercials.

1 or 2 more like that and you just might find yourself off my ignore list (I make exceptions here and there)..but we kinda don't know if there are 'major issues with the emissions' but certainly begs that question and they're likely losing sales of this daily by people either running OOT or simply giving up on it..irksome.

1 or 2 more like that and you just might find yourself off my ignore list (I make exceptions here and there)..but we kinda don't know if there are 'major issues with the emissions' but certainly begs that question and they're likely losing sales of this daily by people either running OOT or simply giving up on it..irksome.

Exactly. Mazda buyers aren't Tesla customers. They aren't going to wait years for their car, especially with zero updates from Mazda HQ.

I've said it many times... ignoring your customers is one of the most inconsiderate actions a corporation can do. A Premium experience does not include being ignored and taken for granted that you will still want to buy said product after waiting around endlessly. The potential buyers should be pampered with apologies for the longer than expected delay. The bizarre misalignment between Marketing and Customer Service is unacceptable for a company that large.

I like Mazda... and will always root for the little guy, but I will also call them (or anyone out) for failing the most basic of customer relation experiences.

Exactly. Mazda buyers aren't Tesla customers. They aren't going to wait years for their car, especially with zero updates from Mazda HQ.

I've said it many times... ignoring your customers is one of the most inconsiderate actions a corporation can do. A Premium experience does not include being ignored and taken for granted that you will still want to buy said product after waiting around endlessly. The potential buyers should be pampered with apologies for the longer than expected delay. The bizarre misalignment between Marketing and Customer Service is unacceptable for a company that large.

I like Mazda... and will always root for the little guy, but I will also call them (or anyone out) for failing the most basic of customer relation experiences.

I think this will force all hardcore diesel enthusiasts away from Mazda. All 75 of them. Till they see it listed on craigslist 4 years from now at 45% of the sticker. They will still be complaining on boards all these years why their beloved turbo manual wagon in brown has not been delivered by Mazda as promised.

For every murky that says chuck it there will be 5 turkeys that will line up to buy it. Wont affect Mazda at all. Diesel numbers for USA will be limited - Mazda will make few probably enough to justify demand. Left overs will be discounted. More of GT / Signature trim while the hordes of unwashed Toyota Honda owners wanting to buy base spec will see only 1 available within 50 miles.

When was the last time enthusiasts had more money than opinions? hmmmm never.

I think this will force all hardcore diesel enthusiasts away from Mazda. All 75 of them. Till they see it listed on craigslist 4 years from now at 45% of the sticker. They will still be complaining on boards all these years why their beloved turbo manual wagon in brown has not been delivered by Mazda as promised.

For every murky that says chuck it there will be 5 turkeys that will line up to buy it. Wont affect Mazda at all. Diesel numbers for USA will be limited - Mazda will make few probably enough to justify demand. Left overs will be discounted. More of GT / Signature trim while the hordes of unwashed Toyota Honda owners wanting to buy base spec will see only 1 available within 50 miles.

When was the last time enthusiasts had more money than opinions? hmmmm never.

But Kaps, Mazda would not have even thought about bringing a Diesel to the USA without a market survey and inquires. They should already have some knowledge of what sales would be like. They expected about 10% of the CX-5 to be diesel. They did not pull that number out of a hat, but rather it was based upon their market analysis.

It might be that after it was announced, they were expecting some higher level of interest and it did not materialize and hence, they are moving on.

Most people buying the CX-5, 6 or even CX-9 are buying the highest trim level. It will be interesting to see how the Signature 6 sells. If it is 20-30% of the total 6 sales, I bet you will see a signature model moving to the CX-5. And I would expect the price of a signature CX-5 to be equal to the lowest CX-9.

Yeah, I'm pretty close to being OOT. I got rear-ended driving the Outback to work in holiday traffic last Wed. I was going 70 in the left lane in heavy traffic and suddenly everyone ahead was panic braking. I stopped about 10 ft. short of the car in front of me, but I was hit hard enough to knock me into the car in front and give me a little headache. I got out and the car behind me had its grille wrapped around my bumper and there were two more cars packed up nose to tail behind him, with steaming radiators and airbags deployed. And then some rubbernecker on the other side of the highway spun in front of a semi and ended up with his van hanging upside down on the guardrail over a ditch. I ended up 3 hours late for work. The cars behind me all had to be towed, but the Subaru fared well. It drives normal, no lights or lenses were busted, the liftgate works, and the amount of visible damage is small.

I just saw the insurance adjuster today, and he immediately noticed the uneven gaps between body panels and decided it was a total loss. I wasn't surprised considering the book value is only about $2k. To make matters, worse, my Focus ST needs a new exhaust to pass inspection (due this month) and I don't really want to throw money at it since it's over 150k miles, needs an elusive A/C leak fixed as well, and isn't a good daily driver in the winter. So if I want to hold out waiting for the diesel CX-5, I could total the Subaru and take the $2k check which will cover the Focus repairs, and live through the winter (and probably more) driving the Focus ST. My wife is not keen on this option because she won't drive a manual and wants to have an AWD vehicle in the household which can carry the kids in heavy snow. Alternatively, I could skip making an insurance claim on the Subaru, and hope it holds up while donating the Ford.

If I thought the CX-5 diesel was a sure bet for 2018, still waiting on final approval but definitely coming within the year, I'd hold out. But I'm not convinced it is.

^Did you not see my wager w/BnB? I don't lose bets much, esp when beer is at stake:)
FWIW I'd almost definitely not bother w/insurance to net a g (guessing) after deductible..only to get porked on your next bill and 10 more probably w/o another claim..

I'm leaning towards BnB winning that bet. :(

If I do make a claim, it will be with the insurance company of the guy who hit me, so I shouldn't get penalized for it. It's not much money, but I'm going to feel like a fool for leaving it on the table if I don't end up buying this mythical vehicle.

I'm leaning towards BnB winning that bet. :(

If I do make a claim, it will be with the insurance company of the guy who hit me, so I shouldn't get penalized for it. It's not much money, but I'm going to feel like a fool for leaving it on the table if I don't end up buying this mythical vehicle.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Since you already own a Ford, are you not considering a Ford Escape with the Ecoboost? I'm a big Mazda fan, but with the way it's going right now, I don't think it makes sense to try to wait for the diesel CX-5 especially if you need a new car soon.

Yeah, I'm pretty close to being OOT. I got rear-ended driving the Outback to work in holiday traffic last Wed. I was going 70 in the left lane in heavy traffic and suddenly everyone ahead was panic braking. I stopped about 10 ft. short of the car in front of me, but I was hit hard enough to knock me into the car in front and give me a little headache. I got out and the car behind me had its grille wrapped around my bumper and there were two more cars packed up nose to tail behind him, with steaming radiators and airbags deployed. And then some rubbernecker on the other side of the highway spun in front of a semi and ended up with his van hanging upside down on the guardrail over a ditch. I ended up 3 hours late for work. The cars behind me all had to be towed, but the Subaru fared well. It drives normal, no lights or lenses were busted, the liftgate works, and the amount of visible damage is small.

I just saw the insurance adjuster today, and he immediately noticed the uneven gaps between body panels and decided it was a total loss. I wasn't surprised considering the book value is only about $2k. To make matters, worse, my Focus ST needs a new exhaust to pass inspection (due this month) and I don't really want to throw money at it since it's over 150k miles, needs an elusive A/C leak fixed as well, and isn't a good daily driver in the winter. So if I want to hold out waiting for the diesel CX-5, I could total the Subaru and take the $2k check which will cover the Focus repairs, and live through the winter (and probably more) driving the Focus ST. My wife is not keen on this option because she won't drive a manual and wants to have an AWD vehicle in the household which can carry the kids in heavy snow. Alternatively, I could skip making an insurance claim on the Subaru, and hope it holds up while donating the Ford.

If I thought the CX-5 diesel was a sure bet for 2018, still waiting on final approval but definitely coming within the year, I'd hold out. But I'm not convinced it is.

Sorry to hear about your accident

Maybe you want to consider Turbo Mazda 6 (uhm)

I'm still waiting for the diesel, that's the car I want and I'm not going to bite off my nose to spite my face.

If it takes another year, maybe I'll buy a used 17 2.5 when they get old enough to be a bargain.

I prefer 2.5TD to 2.5T, but 2.5T to 2.5.

Agree. A communicative customer focused company builds a rabid fan base. As much as I tease Apple, they do customer care right.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Since you already own a Ford, are you not considering a Ford Escape with the Ecoboost? I'm a big Mazda fan, but with the way it's going right now, I don't think it makes sense to try to wait for the diesel CX-5 especially if you need a new car soon.

I like my Ford dealer, and I like Ford's 2.0T, and the Escape handles OK, but the fuel economy isn't great and the price is kind of high. I could probably live with that, but the deal killer for me is the interior. The interior of the Escape is just fugly with an emphasis on the 'f'. It makes Subaru and Chevy look classy.

Maybe you want to consider Turbo Mazda 6 (uhm)

I was checking the press releases from the LA auto show, and if it was announced with AWD and was going to be available fairly soon, I was ready to call my Mazda dealer and order one today. I may have to debate this out with my wife, because she really wants another vehicle that can handle snowstorms.

I was checking the press releases from the LA auto show, and if it was announced with AWD and was going to be available fairly soon, I was ready to call my Mazda dealer and order one today. I may have to debate this out with my wife, because she really wants another vehicle that can handle snowstorms.

Fair enough.

...There are a few leftover 16.5 awd gts around here listed at 5k off sticker...that's my backup plan but will probably wait till next Sep when x1 lease is up..so I'd be looking at lightly used one..

Back