Maintenance Ripoff

AllezDada

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech, i Activesense
Had my son bring in my 2016 CX-5 for its 30k mile service. According to the website, cost was $113. Son called me mid afternoon because dealership wanted to know if we wanted to do some optional things: change the air filter, change the brake fluid (since it was discolored),, clean the throttle body. Told him no. Asked my son what the total was without these things; answer: $469. What?

Found out they did some 'additional' services: 4 wheel alignment ($93.95), changed the wipers, and replaced the rear differential fluid/transfer case oil/fluid ($182.88). Unfortunately I did not find out about this until it was all done. Asked the service advisor why this was all done - per the adviser the 4 wheel alignment is due at 30k miles (even though the car was tracking fine), and the differential/transfer case fluids changes were required - if there were any issue going forward they would not be covered if this was not done.

I don't see any of these 'additional' services on the service schedule I have.

Probably my fault for not warning my son to let me know if there was anything different than the estimate of $113 when I scheduled the service, but never would I have ever dreamed that they would push $300 of additional services like this.

You got taken advantage of, and ripped off, in my opinion.
Dealership or not, no garage should be doing work on your vehicle that was not discussed or approved. Period.
There was nothing wrong with your car, and this work was not necessary.
I'd fight this tooth and nail. I'd even report this dealer behavior to Mazda Corporate.
This whole scheduled service interval stuff is meant as a cash cow for the dealerships.
At 30k miles, all you need is an oil change. You can change the air filter and wipers yourself if they need replacing.
As for replacing brake fluid after one year and 30K....massive ripoff.
Also, this BS about issues in the future not being covered if this work (transfer case fluid change) was not done is also bogus. These guys are liars and thieves.

In some states, if the cost of a service will increase by a certain percentage the shop has to stop and check with you before proceeding. This stealership you went to is crossing the line and should be considered crooks. Time to look for another shop.

According to OM (owner's manual), only oil change is required.
All the other items are optional.... service if such need arises.

Don't go for the package services like 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k.
These are BS.
Go to dealers armed with coupons and be firmed about what you want done.

According to the owner's manual, the diff service is due at 28,800 or 28,200, I forget which, but it's a funky number.

The alignment is absolutely absurd.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and should be changed sensibly. If you track the car, you need to show proof for changing it in the last 30 days to be allowed on most tracks. If not, I change it when I change the rotors and pads. But then again, some of the people on this board seem to think the CX5 is an actual performance vehicle, so they probably change it monthly if they track it.

Had my son bring in my 2016 CX-5 for its 30k mile service. According to the website, cost was $113. Son called me mid afternoon because dealership wanted to know if we wanted to do some optional things: change the air filter, change the brake fluid (since it was discolored),, clean the throttle body. Told him no. Asked my son what the total was without these things; answer: $469. What?

Found out they did some 'additional' services: 4 wheel alignment ($93.95), changed the wipers, and replaced the rear differential fluid/transfer case oil/fluid ($182.88). Unfortunately I did not find out about this until it was all done. Asked the service advisor why this was all done - per the adviser the 4 wheel alignment is due at 30k miles (even though the car was tracking fine), and the differential/transfer case fluids changes were required - if there were any issue going forward they would not be covered if this was not done.

I don't see any of these 'additional' services on the service schedule I have.

Probably my fault for not warning my son to let me know if there was anything different than the estimate of $113 when I scheduled the service, but never would I have ever dreamed that they would push $300 of additional services like this.

Wow! I hope that a kiss was offered after this screwing?

What's the name of this stealership?

That’s why I called Dealerships STEALERSHIPS they always try to up service you the moment you pull into their lot.

Unfortunately my son brought the car in (he's 22yo) and agreed to have them do the work since they told him it was due. I had a talk with him afterwards, so hopefully he won't be so naive in the future.

Wow that is unfortunate. Is he the legal owner of the vehicle? I see you live in Maryland (massive nanny state (rolleyes) ), so there is a good chance there are laws against this kind of predatory behavior. At the very least I would submit a complaint to the States Attorney's office if he is not the legal owner of the vehicle.

What's the dealers name?

Baltimore County State's Attorney's Office
Email: statesattorney@baltimorecountymd.gov
County Courts Building
401 Bosley Avenue, Room 511
Towson, Maryland 21204

It was Heritage Mazda in Catonsville. I had asked my son to bring in the car because my schedule has been busy.

If you have parking spot for an 18 wheeler - get the Texas Hammer!!

memorable-law-ads.jpg

According to the owner's manual, the diff service is due at 28,800 or 28,200, I forget which, but it's a funky number.

The alignment is absolutely absurd.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and should be changed sensibly. If you track the car, you need to show proof for changing it in the last 30 days to be allowed on most tracks. If not, I change it when I change the rotors and pads. But then again, some of the people on this board seem to think the CX5 is an actual performance vehicle, so they probably change it monthly if they track it.

Not sure about CX5 (don't have the OM next to me), with my previous CX9, diff oil service is only required for owners who tow a lot.
Heavy use, as Mazda calls it.

Not sure about CX5 (don't have the OM next to me), with my previous CX9, diff oil service is only required for owners who tow a lot.
Heavy use, as Mazda calls it.

I don't tow, don't even have a hitch lol . . .

Good lesson for your son, I hope you weren't too hard on him after. This is something to be wary of when taking cars to dealerships. The last time I had a 25k oil change done, the service advisor tried to have push the 30k miles package which made no sense whatsoever.

Good lesson for your son, I hope you weren't too hard on him after. This is something to be wary of when taking cars to dealerships. The last time I had a 25k oil change done, the service advisor tried to have push the 30k miles package which made no sense whatsoever.

No, I don't think I was too hard on him - he was doing me a favor by bringing it in, after all. I just wanted to make sure that he learned something after what happened.

Report them to Mazda USA.

My 2016 owner's manual does NOT require a transfer/diff oil change, but says:
*5 If the vehicle is operated primarily under any of the following conditions, replace the rear differential oil at
every 48,000 km (30,000 miles).
a) Towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier
b) Driving in dusty, sandy or wet conditions
c) Extended periods of idling or low speed operation
d) Repeated short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles)
*6 If this component has been submerged in water, the oil should be replaced.

I would also try to get my money back for the unnecessary work, or at least part of it. That work was NOT required for the warranty.

It was surely good for your CX-5 and I will change mine to synthetic at 30k, myself, for much less $$.

Last edited:
This is something to be wary of when taking cars to dealerships. The last time I had a 25k oil change done, the service advisor tried to have push the 30k miles package which made no sense whatsoever.
Most of these guys are on some sort of commission/incentive compensation package.
It's in their best interest to jack up the bill as much as possible. Just say no.
It's the same with these fast lube joints. They are just one long continuous sales pitch while your oil gets changed.

This is exactly why I don't go to the dealer. I have an independent local shop that I trust do anything that I can't handle myself. They know me and sometimes I have to talk THEM into doing something that I want done saying "It's really not necessary...". LOL

Back