Extended Warranty.... yeah?

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

So, I was at Mazda the other day for an oil change. I had the finance manager approach me and tell me that its not too late to increase my protection coverage. She ran some numbers, and most of the plans were 900 plus with $100 deductible. Normally, I am not one to look into this, but I keep hearing about all of these LED failures and how crazy expensive it is to replace.

Now, I know any type of warranty is a gamble, but based on you guys that have owned a Mazda (or do) with higher miles would you recommend it or not? This is my first Mazda, so other than what I researched I am not really sure what to expect. Since I have a 17GT, I guess its a gamble with a new model.

Anyone have some current thoughts. These LED failures are concerning me.

Thanks guys!

The only way I would consider an extended warranty is if it's backed by Mazda. Heard too many horror stories about 3rd party warranty. American Fidelis comes to mind.
CNBC ran a investigative report on that warranty company where they didn't pay any warranty claims and the owners skimmed millions. Thankfully now they're in prison.

How long does the warranty run? I would not consider one less that 8yr/100k miles.

When I purchased my CX-5 back in April of 2015 the finance manager told me Mazda didn't offer an extended warranty, had to go 3rd party. Not sure if that was true and don't know if Mazda offers one now.

I have had GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance and am considering it for the next purchase (Mazda CX-5) but I will certainly Check that it covers the LED headlights this time around.
The forum has some “ney sayers” but I keep my cars for awhile and I don’t rely on luck. Something has always gone wrong and I like the piece of mind as well as breaking out the cost per 6 month increments.
Give it a Google ...
I’ve had some issues... never a hassle.

Normally, I am not one to look into this, but I keep hearing about all of these LED failures and how crazy expensive it is to replace.

Could you please provide links to the articles/forum posts/studies where you've learned about "all of these LED failures"?

Hello!

So, I was at Mazda the other day for an oil change. I had the finance manager approach me and tell me that it’s not too late to increase my protection coverage. She ran some numbers, and most of the plans were 900 plus with $100 deductible. Normally, I am not one to look into this, but I keep hearing about all of these LED failures and how crazy expensive it is to replace.

Now, I know any type of warranty is a gamble, but based on you guys that have owned a Mazda (or do) with higher miles would you recommend it or not? This is my first Mazda, so other than what I researched I am not really sure what to expect. Since I have a 17GT, I guess it’s a gamble with a new model.

Thanks guys!

I would not touch any extended warranty if it is not directly from the manufacturer, the finance manager makes money off selling these along with every other warranty they will try sell you, ie rust proofing, paint sealant, fabric guard ect. Big waste of money and if you ever get a chance to use any of these warranties you soon find out it's a massive head ache and costing you money out of pocket.

I have had GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance and am considering it for the next purchase (Mazda CX-5) but I will certainly Check that it covers the LED headlights this time around.
The forum has some “ney sayers” but I keep my cars for awhile and I don’t rely on luck. Something has always gone wrong and I like the piece of mind as well as breaking out the cost per 6 month increments.
Give it a Google ...

I took the Mazda warranty offered by the dealership but cancelled it after two day. I got the Geico MBI instead.

I read through the link you posted.
I counted approximately 12 people reporting LED headlight failure in 2016 or older models.
ALL OF THEM had the lights replaced under warranty free of charge.
This link is actually good argument AGAINST purchasing an extended warranty.

Also, given that the lighting has changed completely from 2016, I'm not sure how relevant this link is to the 2017 model.

I would love to see the OP's information on LED light failures not covered by the original manufacturer warranty.
I'm guessing he got his info directly from the dealer trying to sell him the extended warranty.

I have had GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance and am considering it for the next purchase (Mazda CX-5) but I will certainly Check that it covers the LED headlights this time around. The forum has some ney sayers but I keep my cars for awhile and I dont rely on luck. Something has always gone wrong and I like the piece of mind as well as breaking out the cost per 6 month increments.

I took the Mazda warranty offered by the dealership but cancelled it after two day. I got the Geico MBI instead.

I'm just not seeing why you would buy this coverage...
- You have to purchase it when your car is new, even though it is still covered under the manufacturers warranty.
- It is called "mechanical breakdown insurance" for a reason. It covers mechanical breakdowns, not a LED light going out.
- There are lots of hoops to jump through to even obtain coverage.

Take a look at this...
https://www.geico.com/claims/claimsprocess/understanding-mechanical-breakdown-claims/

Dont bother buying a 3rd party warranty, they make you jump thru hoops to get a repair done. Go with an OEM extended warranty if you can.

Curious to know how much a GEICO warranty costs. Honda offers Hondacare which covers everything with no deductible and extends the warranty to 8 year/120,000 miles for $1075.

Last edited:
I had ext warranty on two vehicles I owned.
'98 BMW 540iA: (cost $2250, 7yr/100k) very problematic through my 9 yrs of ownership. Yet, I did not get all my money back.
The ext warranty I had did not cover wear-n-tear. I probably spent $4k on that Bimmer, but the ext warranty did not pay more than $2k out of $4k.
So, they still win even with such a buggy vehicle.

'05 Prius: (cost $970, 7yr/100k) I worried about all the new tech and expensive parts of hybrid.
After 8 yrs of ownership. 0 problem. I lost.

Give it a Google ...

Have you ever made a claim on this Geico Mechanical Breakdown policy? I'd love to know how it worked out.

I'm skeptical of anything that's not a manufacturer warranty. I've only had two extended warranties and both were from the manufacturer. The last one I bought was on my new Corvette. But I didn't buy it until literally two weeks before the original 36 month / 36,000 mile warranty was about to expire - I bought an additional 4 years / 48,000 miles for $2,000 with zero deductible. The only reason I bought it was because of a few semi-expensive repairs under the original warranty. I would not be interested in a 3rd party policy AT ALL. But that's just me.

Last edited:

These are all the first gen of Mazda LED’s.

No reports of issues with new ones. Or any that I am aware of with the replacements fitted to 15/16 models.

Mine were replaced under warranty, fine since then. The main issues causing problems (eg one example was white milky discolouration inside) were identified and rectified in subsequent production. No longer an issue IMO.

Last edited:
Back