Trans fluid low

GP 2004

:
2015 CX-5 GT AWD liquid silver
I checked my trans fluid for the first time today. There is a video on you-tube about it. I warmed the engine and then removed the aircleaner box to get access to the dip stick. The fluid is just a little bit below the lower line, but very close. Should I buy some Mazda trans fluid to bring it up to the middle between the lines? The check engine light is on now. I assume because I ran the engine without the aircleaner box and that sensor didn't register any air flow. Will the check engine light turn off after a while?

Probably, but not right away. It will take a few cycles of starts, driving and shutdowns. It might take a few days.

I checked my trans fluid for the first time today. There is a video on you-tube about it. I warmed the engine and then removed the aircleaner box to get access to the dip stick. The fluid is just a little bit below the lower line, but very close. Should I buy some Mazda trans fluid to bring it up to the middle between the lines? The check engine light is on now. I assume because I ran the engine without the aircleaner box and that sensor didn't register any air flow. Will the check engine light turn off after a while?
This seems to be a common issue that many fluid levels from factory are low on our CX-5 and have been reported by many members: engine oil、engine coolant、rear differential、and transmission fluid.

Depending on your current mileage, if your CX-5 is approaching 50K miles Id go ahead to drain and fill the ATF with Mazda ATF FZ. Or just top off with the Mazda ATF FZ if you have less miles.

Like wlong01 said, the CEL should turn off after several cycles in the next several days. Or you can set it off with OBD-II reader.

GP2004; CEL is probably due to running the engine without that but you could always pull the code.
amazon sells great little bluetooth OBD scanners, I got one for a few bucks a while back and it's come in quite handy. Pair that with the Torque app and you're good to go.

My check-engine light turned off today, so checking your trans fluid isn't a problem for the computer. I found Mazda trans fluid on Amazon for $19/qt. I searched Medcenter Mazda and could not find any trans fluid. Weird search function there.

My check-engine light turned off today, so checking your trans fluid isn't a problem for the computer. I found Mazda trans fluid on Amazon for $19/qt. I searched Medcenter Mazda and could not find any trans fluid. Weird search function there.
Good to know CEL got turned off so soon. MedCenter does sell Mazda Genuine ATF FZ (0000-FZ-113E-01) for $12.66 a quart. The one on Amazon even if you have free-shipping is definitely over-priced. Heres another source (and noticed that he felt some fluids were under-filled from factory too):

Spark plug structure looked identical although there seemed to be some different metal coloring on OEM. I was so mad they sent me NGK, I really didn't look at them much beyond wrapping and shipping back!
I did not trust myself to drop the pan and seal - so I had a mechanic do it. It took him some time. The fluid looked worn, but not burnt. I can't comment on color.
I suspect it was under filled from factory. I bought 2 bottle per recommendation on this forum. I chose the more expensive lube since I will not do this same service until 150k and judging how the car was running - that's about the limit. IMO of course.

Parts breakdown from mazdastuff.com (please note they corrected the spark plug mixup right away)

0000-77-SG1-QT Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-77-SG1-QT | Lng Life Hyp Gear Oil Sg1
2 $21.56 $43.12

PE5R-18-110 Mazda Genuine Part Number PE5R-18-110 | Plug,Spark
4 $22.88 $91.52

9956-41-400 Mazda Genuine Part Number 9956-41-400 | Gasket
2 $0.84 $1.68

0000-FZ-113E-01 Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-FZ-113E-01 | Atf Type-Fz
6 $10.72 $64.32

FZ01-21-500 Mazda Genuine Part Number FZ01-21-500 | Strainer,Oil
1 $27.56

Back