2.5 Litre Turbo coming to CX-5 sooner than we thought?

:
'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver
Hi guys,

Have a read of this article:

Mazda6 Update To Debut At LA Auto Show

In particular:

00.png

So... 2.5T is coming to CX-5 now as well (scratch)

If it is to be believed, very interesting and enticing :D

Last edited:
I read that to mean that the 2018 CX-5 will be getting the cylinder deactivation technology.

But the article doesn't make mention of the 2 separate motors. It only talks about the 2.5T

I know all the 6's will have 2.5 with cylinder deactivation bar the top spec which will get the 2.5T

Could be the author has mixed both engines into one (uhm)

You are correct, the 2018 CX5 will have the 2.5 turbo motor when it is unveiled.

More likely cylinder deactivation but if he has composed each of the facts from his article correctly to also mention the CX-5 then we should get excited but I have my doubts about the 2.5T in the CX-5 yet as it will only debut in the 6 as reported. He did say " a revised CX-5... will break cover in LA ". Interesting :)

More likely cylinder deactivation but if he has composed each of the facts from his article correctly to also mention the CX-5 then we should get excited but I have my doubts about the 2.5T in the CX-5 yet as it will only debut in the 6 as reported. He did say " a revised CX-5... will break cover in LA ". Interesting :)

Agreed!

I do agree the cylinder deactivation should be added shortly

If memory serves, the 1st generation CX-5 initially came with 2.0L. The following year or so, the 2.5L came along because people said the 2.0L was underpowered.

So could be possible that 2.5T could be added so soon after a model change :D

Kinda vague there I also read it as same cylinder deact tech..but if so (2.5T) I guess there's gonna be more than a few salty dogs out there who went in on 17s I'm guessing..

Kinda vague there I also read it as same cylinder deact tech..but if so (2.5T) I guess there's gonna be more than a few salty dogs out there who went in on 17s I'm guessing..

I agree it's vague - the author seems to have combined 2 engines into one

As to salty dogs, maybe it's a good thing that my 6 is taking for ever to sell hence me not being able to buy a new CX-5 now (wink)

Wouldn't a true CX5 surprise be the diesel confirmation for US market? That's the true golden goose.

That is also what I was thinking, thats if they are revealing models only for the US market. Mazda has a history of participation at the LA Motor Show. Can't wait for the reveal to come :)

You can have the diesel, I'll have the 2.5T :D

Done but I'll take both the CX5 diesel for my 80 mile/day commute/winter..and..I'll take my 2.5T in an AWD (assuming I can't have RWD) 6MT speed6 for the weekends/summer, thanks!

Last edited:
Trust me. I have zero interest in the diesel. But at this point they have to either s*** or get off the pot!

(lol) fair enough

Done but I'll take both the CX5 diesel for my 80 mile/day commute/winter..and..I'll take my 2.5T in an AWD (assuming I can't have RWD) 6MT speed6 for the weekends/summer, thanks!

Good plan. Don't know if 2.5T would come in 6MT though

FWIW..RODSCALIP5's
Quote Originally Posted by Monterra
Any links for turbo with 6 speed (assume you meant manual)..and cooled seats? I didn't see those mentioned specifically.

I don't have a link, it was on Twitter. Someone tweeted to Mazda USA that Turbo and 6 Speed would keep in a 6 for a Decade and Mazda USA tweeted back "Enjoy your decade!"

FWIW..RODSCALIP5's
Quote Originally Posted by Monterra
Any links for turbo with 6 speed (assume you meant manual)..and cooled seats? I didn't see those mentioned specifically.

I don't have a link, it was on Twitter. Someone tweeted to Mazda USA that Turbo and 6 Speed would keep in a 6 for a Decade and Mazda USA tweeted back "Enjoy your decade!"

(hmm) - wonder if any country offers the CX-9 2.5T with 6MT. This could be a gauge as to whether something similar could be offered on the CX-5

Is this the same guy from cars.com who wrote Android Auto was coming? haha

You sure it's him (uhm) The link above is to an Australian website and not USA and seems he's published on other Australia car websites.

Last edited:
Back