2017 GT snow tire question

mazdajota

:
Cx-5 2017 GT w/ tech pack
New happy cx-5 GT owner here!

but I didn't get any complimentary snow tires from the dealer so I gotta go shopping as it is starting to get real cold here in North.. (Canada) (doh)

hence looking for some insights from current owners.

As far as I understand after reading other posts, I can downsize the rims on my GT from 19"" to 17" (225/65/17R) looks like I will get much more selections and value this way

so I decided to go with 17"s and came up with 3 final candidates

All prices includes installation

Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 - @ costco $769.71 CAD

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA 9 SUV - @ Kal tire $1195 CAD

Michelin Latitude X-Ice - @ costco $739.16

I wonder whether paying extra $ to get the Nokian tires would well worth it? I have never owned awd suv before this so I can't tell if cheaper ones would be more than sufficient.

and do you guys think paying extra 100$ for tire storage would worth it? I do have a garage but was thinking if it's going to have any bad effect on tires to leave it there all winter with no temperature/humidity control.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Don't waste your money on the Nokian tires.
The difference will be negligible.
I've used all manner of snow tires over the years, and there's not enough of a performance difference to warrant the huge gaps in price.
I doubt you'd even feel the difference between those and a set of snow tires from Canadian tire (Motomasters).
Good news is, no matter what tire you get, they are a huge improvement over all seasons.
If you've never run snow tires before, you'll see what I mean.
Once you've had them, you'll never go through a winter without them.

Edit: Forgot to add in that for the past ten years or so, I've never bought new snow tires.
I always buy slightly used ones on kijiji for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
On a different note, I'm shopping for snow tires and rims for my newly bought 2017 Mazda 6.
I pick up the car next week.
I saw an add for snows, mounted on stock rims from a 2006 Mazda 6.
Does anyone know if they will fit the 2017 model?
The bolt pattern appears to be the same, but I'm worried about the offset and centre hole.
I'd post this in the Mazda 6 forum, but it's just too quiet there.
Thanks.

If you go 18 you can get Michelin Xice 3 which is a newer version it’s what I did.
640df7bb11e5dde6e6c8c6c44c83c3a4.jpg

Like your 17" choice I'm a fan of Nokian products generally and don't think you're wrong with any of the above-imo if you're thinking winter tires you've already won...i loved my old nrws..love my dunlop wintersport ds3.

Last edited:
Any of those snow tires mentioned should be fine, just dont forget to add compatible TPMS tire pressure sensors!

I use the Nokian Hakka R2's which work great in all winter conditions. No regret in spending a couple extra bucks.
As for storage, I just keep the extra set in the shed. That's a way better environment than on the car. Waste of $100 if you pay for storage. Plus I swap over at my leisure.

Agree that Nokians are great winter tires and are worth more just not 50% more imo

OK our situation in Sweden is very close to yours in Canada. Lot of ice and snow, tyre change twice a year (summer to winter and vice versa), compulsory winter tyre by law, non studded winter tyres in the south and the studded winter tyres in the north are preferred by most here, yearly very comprehensive tests by the different test agencies on the the winter tyre made by companies like, Nokian, Continental, Good Year and Michelin, and many more and they seem to rotate as to who is going to win this year. So all these four are good as long as you chose the one for nordic condition (also Canadian) with ice and snow, i.e. with many sipes and winter compound (soft rubber). You will not be driving crazy like these guys testing them to their limits. As far as the age is concerned the big four tyre companies consider all winter tyres under 3 years old as fresh stock, so chose a three year old one and bargain like crazy for the price. They last well if stored in a cool garage out of sunlight. Wash them with soap and water before you store them to get rid of winter salt. My Nokian rsi winter tyres looked very good even after 7 years. They were sold along with my BMW e91. I have bought a Continental viking conti 6 winter tyre this time for Mazda cx_5. I would avoid the chinese winter tyres for now. Who knows may be in 4-5 years they will catch up with the technology. Then may be!

I paid 250 dollars extra for the direct non original? TPMS sensors and they work great from start. If they do die on me after a few years I am going to ignore replacing them since it is going to be too expensive. I plan to put a black tape on the tyre TPMS warning light, if that happens. You could try doing that if your country does not require direct TPMS and save a few bob.

Last edited:
New happy cx-5 GT owner here!

but I didn't get any complimentary snow tires from the dealer so I gotta go shopping as it is starting to get real cold here in North.. (Canada) (doh)

hence looking for some insights from current owners.

As far as I understand after reading other posts, I can downsize the rims on my GT from 19"" to 17" (225/65/17R) looks like I will get much more selections and value this way

so I decided to go with 17"s and came up with 3 final candidates

I wonder whether paying extra $ to get the Nokian tires would well worth it? I have never owned awd suv before this so I can't tell if cheaper ones would be more than sufficient.

and do you guys think paying extra 100$ for tire storage would worth it? I do have a garage but was thinking if it's going to have any bad effect on tires to leave it there all winter with no temperature/humidity control.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I have used the Bridgestone Blizzak's WS80 for the last two winters here in London, ON. Have to say that I am very pleased with them and can honestly say
that they have served their purpose. Check out some reviews on www.tirerack.com if you feel the need to. The ratings for WS80's pretty much speak for themselves.

I had the 2016 CX-5 and luckily the 17 inch rims from that car fit my new 2017. So basically the same as what you have done.

In terms of storing your tires - the dealerships' do not have a special room that controls temperature / humidity, they usually have a external shipping container which they just throw them into - that's what the one here does. You'd be better of saving the $100 and storing them in your garage. Just make sure that they are stored correctly, either on a tire rack or horizontally and covered from direct sunlight.

the Nokian tires are easily worth more. The good news is that if you shop around including e-bay you don't need to pay more. I paid less then $800 for mine mounted.

My 2 cents...

... I decided to go with 17"s and came up with 3 final candidates

Some points:

With the Blizzak, maybe consider the DM-V2 version instead of the WS80. It is more for SUVs, light trucks and minivans whereas the WS80 is more car oriented.

The Hakkapeliitta 9 without studs (as it would have to be in London, southern Ontario) is probably not as good as the "designed to be studless" Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV.

In 225/65R17 size, the X-Ice would have to be the older Xi2 and not the new Xi3.

Christ. I store my tires in either my shed or addition. If they can survive the elements while mounted on the vehicle then surely they don't need to be babied while in storage.

Hi everyone... I'm a first time poster.

I also purchased Michelin 225 60 R18 X-Ice3 with new Touren rims for my 2017 CX-5. Looking great and riding smooth so far! I decided to not to pursue the TPMS sensors as it's hard to justify them @ $90/each. I think I'm ready for another snowy winter in Vancouver.

aTBtuGN.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back