warning of red traffic light

Mondo

Contributor
:
2016 Mazda CX5
The other day I was driving and the car said something about the light signal turning red. I've had the car over 2 years and never heard it before (or since). Anybody else get a warning like that?

Must be hooked into the Nav. They probably have a list of the red-light camera locations. It would drive you crazy if the system told you every time a light turned red.

It is a setting in the Navigation app and yes it will drive you nuts after a little while. I turned it off. However, if you are driving in a city or town that you're not familiar with it could keep you from getting a redlight ticket.

I think it is just warning of red light camera, not every red light.

If the system is anything like my Tom Tom, then it's just a warning that there is a red light camera at that intersection.
I don't see how any GPS could be programmed to predict when a light is about to change.

If someday a system can warn the driver of a impending red light running,
that would be useful. No braking, just warning.
It won't be easy though since there are usefully several visible lights.
The system per se needs to distinguish which is which.

I’ve got a red light mitigation system. It’s called looking what I’m doing while I’m driving a ton of killing machine instead of effing about with a phone.

I’ve got a red light mitigation system. It’s called looking what I’m doing while I’m driving a ton of killing machine instead of effing about with a phone.

LOL I laughed for a second at that.

You are absolutely right of course. It made me remember that a friend of a friend just lost their son due to a driver who was texting and drove straight through a red light, and ran him over as he crossed on the pedestrian crossing. She didnt even touch the brakes before she hit the lad. He lived a few weeks but they had no choice but to turn life support off.

I hope that all these driver aids dont add further to the distraction factor, or lead to complacency induced inattention.

Exactly.
If the driver is paying attention to the road rather than multiple distractions, they shouldn't need a warning.
A red light camera will never catch them in the act of running through; because they won't!!!

Last edited:
...now we just need a system that can tell us when those "black helicopters" that don't exist are flying overhead...that would be useful too

It is a setting in the Navigation app and yes it will drive you nuts after a little while. I turned it off. However, if you are driving in a city or town that you're not familiar with it could keep you from getting a redlight ticket.

It us annoying but it's saved my butt a couple times . . . worth the annoyance.

Just turn down the volume when it's speaking to a more comfortable level.

Back