2017~2024 Excited but anxious about driving my new CX-5

:
Mazda CX-5
Hey everyone, first post here! (attn)
So, to say I'm upgrading is an understatement.
I'm going from a 2005 vehicle that doesn't even have POWER WINDOWS, to the 2017 Mazda CX-5 GS, AWD.
SO much excitement but also, feeling very anxious. There is just so much going through my mind about driving a vehicle that is brand new.
Also, suggestions about adjusting to parking an SUV? My current car is tiny and fits into any little parking spot, and parking is easy. I feel like I have a lot of adjusting to do!
I get my CX-5 Monday!!

Congrats on the purchase. You will love it and will treat it like a baby. Obviously size-wise its something that needs getting used to but the CX-5 proportions are not too bad for parking and the steering feel easy and light though the new-gen steering on low speed could be slower than older model. If you have reverse camera and parking sensors, parking will be a breeze compared even to your current small car. Enjoy. (thumb)

I'm going from a 2005 vehicle that doesn't even have POWER WINDOWS, to the 2017 Mazda CX-5 GS, AWD.
SO much excitement but also, feeling very anxious. There is just so much going through my mind about driving a vehicle that is brand new.
Also, suggestions about adjusting to parking an SUV? My current car is tiny and fits into any little parking spot, and parking is easy. I feel like I have a lot of adjusting to do!
I get my CX-5 Monday!!

Don't be scared of it. I know what you mean, as I felt the same about my Z06. Honestly, it damped my ownership experience because I was so bloody worried about a ding or scratch.

That said, the CX5 parks very naturally. I've owned all sorts of vehicles, and the CX5 is pretty intuitive to park. Don't sweat it unless you're coming from something like a mini-cooper or something, in which case I get it.

There are a few things that u are going to notice and it may be short term hassle, like the size and height of the car, the feeling of leaning too much on sharp turns at high to moderate speeds, the cushion like ride with less road feed back, the parking issues due to the size and height, the plethora of functions, sensors and buttons but all that is surmountable. Just drive like you always did, i.e. the basic driving and all will fall in place with time. Dont let the size of the car intimidate you.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition. (cool)

Previous posters have more than adequately explained that your comfort level will increase as you spend time behind the wheel.
Take your time becoming familiar with the new features and driving experience and you'll be fine. (drive)

I know what you feel cause I got my new CX-5 monday. The first few days, I was worrying everytime and it somewhat ruined my driving experience. Best advice I can tell you is to drive with confidence, especially the corners. I tend to brake a lot when turning right with my small car (2008 honda civic) but with this beast, it is so smooth and gentle, you'll be surprised trust me.

We, Canadians, don't have parking sensors, therefore, know your front and back car limits. Especially the front.

If you have any questions, let me know :)

Other than that, enjoy!!!!!!

I bet if you REALLY look at the numbers, the CX-5 probably isn't that much wider then your old car. I was surprised that mine was only about an inch wider.

I know what you feel cause I got my new CX-5 monday. The first few days, I was worrying everytime and it somewhat ruined my driving experience. Best advice I can tell you is to drive with confidence, especially the corners. I tend to brake a lot when turning right with my small car (2008 honda civic) but with this beast, it is so smooth and gentle, you'll be surprised trust me.

We, Canadians, don't have parking sensors, therefore, know your front and back car limits. Especially the front.

If you have any questions, let me know :)

Other than that, enjoy!!!!!!

Yes I absolutely loved the turns while test driving!
And what are parking sensors? Like the sensors for the back up camera when an object or person is in view?

Yes I absolutely loved the turns while test driving!
And what are parking sensors? Like the sensors for the back up camera when an object or person is in view?

The beeping sound when you park your car. Although, we (Canadians) have: Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), you will hear a loud beep when a person/car is crossing behind you.

I get my CX-5 Monday!!

Welcome!

Enjoy your nice upgrade, and don't be too worried about the "brand new" part. Every vehicle is once brand new until that first customer drives it off the lot.

Learn what you can from the manual, the quick start guide, and also the onboard voice command systems self tutorial that you can listen to as you drive. But don't feel that you need to do it all at once, as it can be overwhelming for some.

There is nothing extra special you need to do for the first 600 miles except for avoiding hard braking (except for emergency), avoid full throttle starts, and avoid keeping the engine at one RPM for an extended duration. (try to keep the engine RPM's varied).

Do not be afraid to ask questions, we all want you to enjoy and get the most out of your vehicle.(drinks)

Welcome to the forum from Long Island, NY.

My suggestion to you is this:
Get your favorite beverage and sit in your car. Open the glove compartment and get out the owner's manual.
Open it and get familiar with the symbols on the dashboard and the different switches and buttons.
You will feel more confident with your new ride and will discover things that sometimes salespeople not even show you when they delivered you the car.
Enjoy it!![emoji106][emoji106]

Thank you guys!
Please do tell me anything else I should do/shouldn't do.... any other suggestions you have! Greatly appreciated!
This adjustment is going to be huge for me, it will feel very different for a long time (good obviously) but it is still going to take a while for me to get used to... push start... heated seats/steering wheel, power everything... I feel spoiled, but so thankful!
Has anyone had any issues with their CX-5 I should be aware of??

I've been driving my 2017 CX-5 for a month now and loving it. My wife drives a 2014 and when I got a new job that wasn't downtown/accessible by public transportation we became a 2 CX-5 family.

The transmission in the cx5 is the only real high frequency failure point of note. It's a slushbox, unless you have a 2.0 manual, from yesteryear, and all slushboxes except Lexus and some toyotas are junk in for reliability, imo.

Don’t worry about that transmission. Just drive it and enjoy. I just got mine last Tuesday and enjoy driving it everywhere.

Do the break in thing for 60 miles. Don't drive at one speed for a long time, vary the throttle, don't gun it, but don't be afraid to go fast.

60 or 600 miles?

01.jpg

Back