Paint chips - ugh!!!

:
2021 Acura RDX
So, I decided to look at the front of my bumper and noticed about 10 paint chips on my white snowflake front bumper. How do you avoid chips on these vehicles? I never had such a problem with other cars.

Without the ppf, is there anything I can do to prevent this? I have some touch-up paint from paint scratch that Im gonna use.

Also, is it more expensive to paint these 3 stage vehicles?

Thanks!

Well, you probably don't want to hear this but you should consider backing off of the vehicle in front of you to about a 4 second following distance. Back when I managed a Detail Shop, you could always tell how the previous car was driven. About the only other thing you can do is the plastic stick on bra thingie.

sometimes chips are from places you least expect, and aren't from highways, my friends side doors were chipped while parked at Wal-mart, yeah, lot was crowded and he had to park far near the grass/landscaping, and with his luck it was on a day that landscapers were cutting grass and edging, the edger was trimming the sides and it threw pebbles and dirt to cars parked along the landscaping.... whole row of cars had chips, drivers wouldn;t have noticed unless there are meticulous with their car finishes and paint..... front clear bra wouldn't have helped.... just careless disregard by the landscapers, I'm sure this isn;t the first time it has happened, they don't wait for cars to leave to edge the grass, they just rush to get it done so they can move on to the next job and hope drivers don't notice the chips. so just a heads up when you see landscapers don't park by the greens or trees. same thing with the high power gas blowers, they don't care, they just blow right on to the street even if cars are stopped at a light.....jerks.

Last edited:
Well, you probably don't want to hear this but you should consider backing off of the vehicle in front of you to about a 4 second following distance. Back when I managed a Detail Shop, you could always tell how the previous car was driven. About the only other thing you can do is the plastic stick on bra thingie.

I do!!! Thats what gets to me. Everyone passes me because I leave such a long following distance. Im going to put a coat of wax on it today.

I do!!! That’s what gets to me. Everyone passes me because I leave such a long following distance. I’m going to put a coat of wax on it today.

Wax will only help with bug splat removal. Note that bug guts are basically acidic in nature and once they splat your front end, removal asap is the best practice. Not certain of the quality of the clear coat that Mazda applies but the front of the 2017 CX5 has a lot of paint real estate in the front end. I am going try and find a local clear bra if I buy next week.

So, I decided to look at the front of my bumper and noticed about 10 paint chips on my white snowflake front bumper. How do you avoid chips on these vehicles?

Did not started getting them until after the break in period when I looked down at my HUD and noticed that somehow the CX-9 had mysteriously reached 108mph. It felt like 75mph. I had that mysterious occurrence happen a few times until I figured out what it was: CX-9 shadow speed syndrome. I've seen others report the same problem with their new CX-9. You look down at the HUD and suddenly, without any prior warning, its doing 100-115 mph - all by itself. I think Mazda has a bug in the throttle mapping and speedo, if you want my opinion.

Yep - that's when I noticed a tiny little chip in the front fascia, as if someone had blown a tiny little grain of sand at the front at high speed. Found four of them so far that way. Very mysterious, if you ask me. Very odd. I really don't understand why this is happening - but I suspect there will be others lurking somewhere out there until Mazda provides a fix for this bug they created.

Damn bugs. I need a can of Raid. :)

So, I decided to look at the front of my bumper and noticed about 10 paint chips on my white snowflake front bumper. How do you avoid chips on these vehicles? I never had such a problem with other cars.

Without the ppf, is there anything I can do to prevent this? I have some touch-up paint from paint scratch that Im gonna use.

Also, is it more expensive to paint these 3 stage vehicles?

Thanks!

With how flat the front of our CX-5s are the front end would be best protected with a clear film coating. Ceramic paint coatings I'm sure help deflect some rocks on the other areas of the paint as well. I've got some on the front part of my hood that I'll need to touch up. Planning on coating my car in spring with Adam's Polishes ceramic paint coating. I won't have the time to do it before winter, unfortunately.

It seems quite normal to me. When you drive on the road, loose chips of stone get flicked up and the next car hits them at 60 - 80mph. They are bound to chip the paint at that speed. Drop back from the car in front to give them time to settle back to the road. I often look in my mirror on the motorway and can’t see the brand of the car because its too close. I’m quite happy to pepper the front of his car but what I can’t avoid is when he does decide to pass, he pulls in with about one car length in front of me putting me far too close.

So this speed display issue? Are you saying that the car actually creeps up in speed or just the indicated speed?

Getting rock chips is kind of unavoidable. Every time I see people say their previous car never had this issue, maybe you just got lucky. Every single car I've had has had rock chips up front. And every car forum I'm in, has people complaining about the rock chips and how their previous car never had this issue. I've had rock chips on my honda accord, nissan maxima, pontiac vibe and mazda 3 and cx5. The vibe had it the worse, yet every forum I'm in there's people that says their previous car never had this problem. It's hard to judge where the piece of rock or road debris will go so just because the piece of rock missed your other cars and only seem to aim for your cx-5, I call it luck lol

Its just frustrating. I have some touch-up paint from paint scratch (the customs $30 stuff) I have base coat and mid coat. For a small chip, so I need base coat then mid coat?

I've definitely always had rock chips but a clear bra will mitigate the issue. My old Maxima looked like it got sandblasted. I put a a clear bra on my G35x when new and front end looks great. Only chips occurred closer up the hood near the windshield and then just used some Dr Colorchip there.

I opted for the 3m clear bra on my hood, front bumper, and the top of the rear bumper (near the trunk); mine was installed 2 weeks after I got the car.

The cost of the install is certainly cheaper than repainting the bumper.

PPF is being installed in 2 weeks! Cant wait!

Back