96k km Scheduled Service

billyphatu

:
2015 CX-5 GS AWD Grey
Hi folks. I am due my scheduled service for 96k km for my 2015 AWD CX-5. My local dealer is asking CAD$400 for it. Included:

Oil change
Lube
Full inspection of brakes, steering, suspension, emissions and lines
Tire rotation
Tighten nuts and bolts
Replace coolant - though not sure this applies to me

Now I know that I am also gonna need new back brake pads and rotors since they reported this at my last service. maybe front as well, by now. They charge another CAD$400 a pair to install brakes (that's a cheaper price because they would combine it with the service).

My questions are, since money is tight, can I get away without that full service, and would I get a better deal going elsewhere for my brakes? This will be my last service before my comprehensive warranty runs out (though I don't know if this service would even cover anything covered by that). I am new to car owning, so I don't really know when the dealer is ripping me off or not.

Pass.

The coolant should last to 160 km.

I'd opt just for oil change and tire rotation....dealers in the US automatically inspect brakes, top of fluids, ect for free during oil changes. My dealers measure the brake pads a well (although I don't always trust it so I check myself).

The $400CAD for the 96k km service is a rip off. Seems about like a $100 service to me,better yet,$50...

I couldn't pay that much for someone to do my brakes either,especially back ones alone,but I haven't priced the parts,I would think half their price,tops...

Pass.

The coolant should last to 160 km.

I'd opt just for oil change and tire rotation....dealers in the US automatically inspect brakes, top of fluids, ect for free during oil changes. My dealers measure the brake pads a well (although I don't always trust it so I check myself).

Ditto.

$400 definitely seems a ripoff. Most of those inspection items just come with the oil change/tire rotation here.

And lube and tightening nuts and bolts is hardly a $400 job.

Go to the good rated aftermarket place (Midas, Speedy, etc) nearby that offers lifetime warranty on pads and ask to price you a complete brake job with OEM parts. Mention to them that you're looking for a lower quote then the dealer, but don't tell them what you've been quoted. Labor charge should be around 1.3hrs per axle. After you get a quote ask them to throw in synthetic oil change with OEM oil filter for $30, or free if you bring your oil and filter. See what happens.
Dealer offers lifetime warranty on pads too, but you're better off with paying lower labor rate at aftermarket place next time you need a brake job.

Back