Replacing just side mirror glass?

pdxcx5

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT
We had a lady open the door of her parked car into us while driving and smashed the entire passenger side mirror. We took it to an auto body shop, they replaced and the housing but in the process managed to break the glass. They ordered another mirror part glass (w/ blind spot monitoring and heat) and managed to break that one too. They've said it's the most complicated mirror they've seen and that they replace 2-3 mirrors a week on average. It's time to take the car to the dealership to get it replaced.

Here's my question: will the dealership be able to replace just the glass or will it require an entirely new mirror assembly. The body shop has been nothing but apologetic this entire time and I'm not sure if they're going to try to charge us for the housing they did replace. If the dealership is going to be able to replace the glass with relative ease, I wouldn't feel so bad about paying the body shop (if they demand it) but I'm not paying for what they did if the dealership is going to charge us for a whole new housing assembly too.

Anybody have any experience with the mirror replacement on a GT?

When I had to replace my mirror assembly unit, the glass part itself just popped out of the unit. Seems to be it's own thing.

I remember it was a PITA to get it back on the new assembly.

If the assembly was already replaced, I don't see any reason why it would be replaced again, unless they broke some part of it? (scratch)

You need to heat the new glass piece up to 120f or so to soften the plastic. The plastic tabs that hold it to the ball joints are very hard to insert when cold. Id also put a little oil on the ball joints.

My wife has been the one talking to the shop since it's her car. As I understand it, they managed to break the glass in the install process. The rest of the assembly is fine and their attempt to replace the glass (rather than the entire assembly) did not go well.

Thanks for the tip on the heat to soften plastic. At this point we'll likely just take it to the dealership knowing that they should be able to make the replacement competently.

Back