Canadian 2017 GT questions...

SilentJay

:
CX-5 GT
Hopefully I don't have a repeat incident and post this in the wrong section again.

Hello!

We've ordered a new CX-5 GT w/ tech and are eagerly awaiting delivery. Have my new car prep detail, PPF, told the dealer not to detail the exterior or update the head unit, and ceramic coating lined up. It'll be my 3rd Mazda (two Mazda3, one Speed3), but first SUV and the first with so many fancy-pants toys.

In preparation for it to be our daily driver (complete with winters), I've been looking for a cheap set of 2nd/3rd generation 17x7 Mazda3 rims to put my winter tires on. As a result, I noticed that the '17 CX-5 come with TPMS again. I've been told by a few dealerships that they are necessary for traction control to function properly, however aren't absolutely mandatory to the operation of the vehicle. That logic seems kind of odd to me. In keeping the above in mind (and that I live in a pretty salty/slushy part of Canada, the GTA), I do have a few newbish questions:

* Are TPM sensors in fact required to be present in all rims, winters included?
* Is there significant detriment or additional wear associated with not having them?
* While a few people have confirmed that Mazda3 rims fit, I don't recall anyone mentioning this for their 2017 - Will they fit? While useful, this thread is a bit dated so I want to make sure
(https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123841230-CX-5-Tire-Fitments)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Well, for one, I don't think you're going to pass Ontario safety with TPMS warning light. Which your insurer can use against you, in a God forbid scenario. Just get the sensors, get them programmed to the car, be done with it. $200 of damage is harsh, but totally expected with 4 season car ownership.
I don't think that ABS or traction control will be affected, as those systems work of off tone rings.

Brings up a question, how many TPMS's can the car remember? Will @SilentJay have to have them re-programmed each season?

Brings up a question, how many TPMS's can the car remember? Will @SilentJay have to have them re-programmed each season?

Good question. And with more advanced systems that display each tire's reading, do they need to be reprogrammed after each rotation?

All valid questions!

On another note, I managed to pick up a set of 4 sensors for $120CDN!

Yes, where did you get them from and do you have the Mazda part number? I need to order some too.

Thanks in advance.

Well, for one, I don't think you're going to pass Ontario safety with TPMS warning light. Which your insurer can use against you, in a God forbid scenario. Just get the sensors, get them programmed to the car, be done with it. $200 of damage is harsh, but totally expected with 4 season car ownership.
I don't think that ABS or traction control will be affected, as those systems work of off tone rings.
If the wheel sensors aren't for ABS or traction control, what are they for? Just tire pressure? My CX-5 has tire pressure warning without wheel sensors. Why does the 2017 need wheel sensors and the 2015 doesn't?

Well, that's because your favorite vehicle provider Mazda has decided to go with more precise tire pressure monitoring system then in models on prior to '17. Although without giving you that precise data in form of direct reading on your dashboard. You have to pay for it now one way or the other. That's the reality, what is your concern?

I bet it holds just one per wheel. You've got to re-program the system every time you replace a summer/winter set or rotate tires. Many tire shops will do that for free, even if you don't have connections with them.

Nice! Where did you get them at that price?
Yes, where did you get them from and do you have the Mazda part number? I need to order some too.
Thanks in advance.

I got the sensors from 401-Dixie Mazda in Mississauga. Not sure whether they'll honor the price for others as apparently this is the price that they normally offer customers who buy winter tires/rims through them, but no harm in going by and asking if you're in the area. I asked the parts guy (young Asian guy) a few times to make sure it was for the 2017 CX5.

On the receipt it says: "PKTPMS TPMS SENSOR KIT, KITP-MS-000, BIN ROW 2B9" whereas the sensor itself is labelled "GN3A-37140B".

If this dealer isn't willing to provide the sensors at the price I got, I know another dealer who is selling them for $50/each.

I bet it holds just one per wheel. You've got to re-program the system every time you replace a summer/winter set or rotate tires. Many tire shops will do that for free, even if you don't have connections with them.

This, I don't mind so much - reprogramming twice a year doesn't seem bad as long as I don't need to individually add each sensor every time...

This, I don't mind so much - reprogramming twice a year doesn't seem bad as long as I don't need to individually add each sensor every time...
Umm... But that's what I meant. Physically going wheel - two-wheel with the TPMS programming tool in the hand, letting the car know which sensor is on what wheel... Unless they invented something completely different, that's how it's done.

Umm... But that's what I meant. Physically going wheel - two-wheel with the TPMS programming tool in the hand, letting the car know which sensor is on what wheel... Unless they invented something completely different, that's how it's done.

I thought it was just some magical process where the vehicle itself has the programming tool built in. Maybe I'm just dreaming :)

Sorry for the multi-posts, can't seem to edit on mobile.

Would 17" rims from a 2010 Mazda3/6 be appropriate for winters on our cx5? The seller lists the rims as being 17" x 7" and 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. Offset is 55.

Thanks

Hey there fellas!

This is my very first post and I am a new owner of a Mazda CX-5 GT, it'll be delivered next week. After reading this thread, it makes me worried about the deal I got for 4 winter tires on rims/wheel covers... Do we absolutely need the sensors? I am such a noobie when it comes to cars....

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Hey there fellas! This is my very first post and I am a new owner of a Mazda CX-5 GT, it'll be delivered next week. After reading this thread, it makes me worried about the deal I got for 4 winter tires on rims/trims... Do we absolutely need the sensors? I am such a noobie when it comes to cars.... Thanks everyone!

Hey - It was my understanding that the car will run fine without them, but you won't be able to disable traction control, and/or you may get nag screens telling you of a tire pressure sensor error. I'd check around your local dealers and see if they have a sale on the sensors, if you don't want to chance it or deal with the potential error messages. A few places have now told me of a "sale" for $50/sensor in Ontario.

Hey - It was my understanding that the car will run fine without them, but you won't be able to disable traction control, and/or you may get nag screens telling you of a tire pressure sensor error. I'd check around your local dealers and see if they have a sale on the sensors, if you don't want to chance it or deal with the potential error messages. A few places have now told me of a "sale" for $50/sensor in Ontario.

Thanks SilentJay! I assume we can find that in Canadian Tire?

Well, for one, I don't think you're going to pass Ontario safety with TPMS warning light. Which your insurer can use against you, in a God forbid scenario.

A safety check is only required when you are selling a used car.
Insuring a new car doesn't require a safety check.
There shouldn't be any insurance issue with this TPMS business.

Back