Front USB ports charge slow

:
CX-5 Touring
Has anyone noticed the front USB ports on the CX5 charge extremely slow? I plugged in my GS8, and I had an estimated 3 hours until fully charged. When I plugged into the rear USB ports, It was estimated to be charged in 1 hour.
My work around for this was to get an Anker charger, but once Android Auto gets added to the CX5, I'll need to use the built in USB ports.

That is because front's are about 1.0A whilst the rears are 2.1A

I have read elsewhere that some people have changed the front usb ports to ones with higher ampere and are now able to charge more quickly

Ugh I noticed this too so frustrating. Why is Mazda behind on stuff like this that is so simple? The Escape has the high output ports and it didn’t even occur to me anything 2017 wouldn’t.

Last edited:
Ugh I noticed this too so frustrating. Why is Mazda behind on stuff like this that is so simple?The Escape has the high output ports add it didn’t even occur to me anything 2017 wouldn’t.
Oversight or cost cutting

Ugh I noticed this too so frustrating. Why is Mazda behind on stuff like this that is so simple?The Escape has the high output ports add it didnt even occur to me anything 2017 wouldnt.
Yep, many other vehicles have offered at least one front USB port with higher amperage charging such as this 1.5A data/charging front USB port in 2017 Honda CR-V:

2017-Honda-CR-V-USB-ports.jpg

I can’t find any reference to run down protection in the manual. Do we know if the ‘17 CX-5 has it? I do have an extra 12 volt dual usb charger laying around but not sure if I want to leave it there if that port is always on even with the car off

I just use the power outlet for a car charger.....

Data works just fine through the Bluetooth for music/Pandora or what have you.

Is it different in the new models?

I just use the power outlet for a car charger.....

Data works just fine through the Bluetooth for music/Pandora or what have you.

Is it different in the new models?

That’s what I did in the last car and what I’ll probably need to do here. Just that so many other 17 like Ford and Honda have it so it’s disappointing. I also worry a bit for when CarPlay finally comes will it keep up with the phone power use. I’m assuming we won’t have wireless CarPlay.

Not sure for 2017, but the front cigarette-lighter charging port is always on in 2016(.5) CX-5.

That’s what I’m worried about running down the battery!

How so? Mine works just fine....

Edit: To clarify, mine does not charge or do anything if car is off. It will if car is in accessory (in which case, then yes it will drain battery if you actually have anything plugged into the cable like your phone), and of course when the car is running, which of course will not drain your battery at that point.

I mean, what else would it do? Seems pretty normal to me.

Last edited:
I have read elsewhere that some people have changed the front usb ports to ones with higher ampere and are now able to charge more quickly

I assume this requires disassembly of interior parts which I hate doing. Things break or don’t go back together as well. But maybe.

Edit: To clarify, mine does not charge or do anything if car is off. It will if car is in accessory (in which case, then yes it will drain battery if you actually have anything plugged into the cable like your phone), and of course when the car is running, which of course will not drain your battery at that point.

I thought you meant always on even with accessory off. Some cars are like that.... or my Ford stays on for a period of time and comes on when you open the door before turning on accessory. If it’s just accessory I agree that should be fine.

But for 2016(.5) that charging port is always on even if you turn off the car and leave. That’s why there’s a mod to change it functioning like your 2014’s.

I thought you meant always on even with accessory off. Some cars are like that.... or my Ford stays on for a period of time and comes on when you open the door before turning on accessory. If it’s just accessory I agree that should be fine.

Can't speak for newer models like the 16.5 or the 17, but mine definitely doesn't charge or do anything when the car is off.

Edit: Nevermind. Thanks for clarifying yrwei.

Last edited:
This is where I like the solution Ford and VW use where it just stays on for 10-20 minutes. Prevents battery run down but gives you the convenience of power after shutting off the engine. I can listen to the radio, roll up windows, and so on. It does cut the hvac right away.

My understanding is that the reason for the slow charging of the front usb ports is because of the infotainment system/unit they are using.

In the 2016 models, the front power socket (in the center console storage area) is always on. This is why I have my dash cam plugged into the auto dimming mirror.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I saw a review in the past where it said that the 2016 models have built-in battery rundown protection. If the 2016s have it, the 2017s should also have it. That said, the front power socket on the 2017 models turn off when the engine is not running. So you can safely leave a charger plugged into it and not worry about draining the battery.

My understanding is that the reason for the slow charging of the front usb ports is because of the infotainment system/unit they are using.
Yeah Mazda had decided to reuse the same USB module used since 2013 CX-5 in 2nd-gen CX-5. They should upgrade the USB module in 2017 CX-5 with more charging power like everybody else.

Latest posts

Back