Back in the CX-5 Fold

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GS AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot EX
Trading in our CX-3 for a 2017 CX-5 GS with comfort package on Tuesday. I enjoyed the CX-3 but the wife prefers the size and space of the CX-5 (it's her vehicle). We had a 2013 CX-5 before which she kind of regrets trading in for the CX-3. It's definitely a fun car but it will be a definite step up going to the new one.

Yep, that will be a decent size jump down, then back up in size.

We have the same package. Great bang for the buck. Congrats / hope this buy has no regrets.

I came from a CX-3 to a CX-5. You get so much more fore your money and if I'm brutally honest, it is better put together.

Yeah, I personally didn't see the purpose of a CX-3 with the CX-5 and Mazda 3 hatch existing. Edit: AWD I guess?

Welcome back to the fold OP!

Last edited:
I was excited for the CX-3 when it came out and the wife and I sat in one at the Portland Auto Show, and quickly it was a pass given we were rubbing shoulders. I am not sure why people are buying them, they are smaller than a 3 and priced really really high IMHO.

I was excited for the CX-3 when it came out and the wife and I sat in one at the Portland Auto Show, and quickly it was a pass given we were rubbing shoulders. I am not sure why people are buying them, they are smaller than a 3 and priced really really high IMHO.

Don't know how old you are but young people 16-24 like them. Was going to get one for my Son but the 3 was cheaper, go better mileage and was cheaper to insure. He loved cx3.

Don't know how old you are but young people 16-24 like them. Was going to get one for my Son but the 3 was cheaper, go better mileage and was cheaper to insure. He loved cx3.

I guess. Bought my CX-5 at 22. Never really liked the CX-3 when it came out and I saw it. But I can totally see what you mean.

If it were my car, I probably would have held onto it a little longer. It really is a lot of fun to drive and still gets comments and stares as we drive. Even had a guy who is a big Porsche/Audi fan that was asking all kinds of questions about it. Loved the interior of it. We live in Canada so the AWD definitely comes in handy. I have a Pilot so I'm not worried about space and our 4 kids are teenagers so they don't come with us very often (That's why I have the Pilot, in case the planets align and they all actually want to join us). The CX-5 will definitely be a nicer vehicle but we will be losing some of the fun factor. In the end, she will be happier, which means I will be happier as well and will now have a second vehicle that I'll seriously consider taking for longer trips.

I am 42. I do like the CX3 styling but it should have been build on the 3 platform and not the smaller 2. If on the 3 platform it would give the Subaru Crosstrek a run for its money.

I guess. Bought my CX-5 at 22. Never really liked the CX-3 when it came out and I saw it. But I can totally see what you mean.

The CX-3, if it gets the G-vorce vectoring thing, will be the best handling Mazda outside of the Miata. It is a really sweet handling car. Very tight and small but again, if you are young, it is not bad.

What I don't get is why they don't push them more. The dealers don't make deals on them and the equivalent 3 is so much cheaper. I almost think Mazda only wants to sell a small number of them.

I am 42. I do like the CX3 styling but it should have been build on the 3 platform and not the smaller 2. If on the 3 platform it would give the Subaru Crosstrek a run for its money.

I think the CX-5 is actually built on the 3 platform, no?

The CX-3, if it gets the G-vorce vectoring thing, will be the best handling Mazda outside of the Miata. It is a really sweet handling car. Very tight and small but again, if you are young, it is not bad.

What I don't get is why they don't push them more. The dealers don't make deals on them and the equivalent 3 is so much cheaper. I almost think Mazda only wants to sell a small number of them.

It will get g-vectoring though its built on the Mazda2 (sold under Scion name in murica) platform so if anything the lower to the ground Mazda2 would handle better. That said the Mazda3 may have more robust chassis/suspension parts.

Eventually G-vectoring will be standard across all models

Cup holders under the center arm rest take the cake for the inept design award in the CX3.

We got in June 2014 a Mazda 3 hatchback for my wife without knowing the CX3 was coming later that year. We saw it many times on the road and she was always regretting we did not get it for the AWD, but still loving the car.
Move forward to 2017 and we were looking to get it for our daughter loving the convenience of the AWD and when we were at the dealer, we sat on it and totally disappointed of how small it was comparing to her Mazda 3. I did not know that the CX3 was based on the Mazda 2. Needless to say that when our daughter and us sat on the CX5, we all were hook to it.
She is very happy with it and now the wife wants to trade her 3 for a CX5. Time will tell!!

We got in June 2014 a Mazda 3 hatchback for my wife without knowing the CX3 was coming later that year. We saw it many times on the road and she was always regretting we did not get it for the AWD, but still loving the car.
Move forward to 2017 and we were looking to get it for our daughter loving the convenience of the AWD and when we were at the dealer, we sat on it and totally disappointed of how small it was comparing to her Mazda 3. I did not know that the CX3 was based on the Mazda 2. Needless to say that when our daughter and us sat on the CX5, we all were hook to it.
She is very happy with it and now the wife wants to trade her 3 for a CX5. Time will tell!!

Correct.

CX-3 based off Mazda 2
CX-5 (atleast gen 1) based off both Mazda 3 & 6

Back