Scratched Leather/Car Washes

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

I have two questions for you guys.

1. I put a backpack on my backseat (computer backpack with rubber on the bottom of it.) I am very careful when I put it in and take it out. However, I noticed that there are now creases and what appears to be scuff marks from the bag. Is the leather really that crappy in this SUV? (17 GT). Anyway, I am not sure how to get the scuff marks out. Does anyone have any idea? I am assuming the creases are normal from just sitting the bag on the leather. My biggest fear is when I have to put in the baby seats for my nephews.

2. Where do you all wash your CX-5's' in the winter? I usually go to a local coin-op or a touch free car wash locally. I have decided to avoid automatic swirl-omatics with this vehicle. I am hoping that the white will look ok once it's washed.

Thanks all!

I never, ever wash my car in the winter. I go to one of these automated drive-ins and buy ONLY 1 item: undercarriage cleaning. It's darn cheap here: $4.50 instead of going for their package - usually $12. In winter - under-carriage cleaning is all that's required. Before winter sets in, I put a nice layer of marine wax - 3 layers. I do not do all the other mumbo-jumbo like clay-bar, polishing, etc. Just through clean and then the thick 3-layer wax with very light buffing. Anyways within 2 weeks everything will be dirty! Post winter, in spring go for the full Monty, i.e. a full exterior/interior detailing.

Before you declare the seats to be crap, why not investigate the marks and see if they will come off and photos would be a good idea to allow people to tell you if theirs are similar.

Hello!

2. Where do you all wash your CX-5's' in the winter? I usually go to a local coin-op or a touch free car wash locally. I have decided to avoid automatic swirl-omatics with this vehicle. I am hoping that the white will look ok once it's washed.

Thanks all!

1. Use wax wash. Rinse entire vehicle
2. Shake soap from foam brush into a bucket
3. Lightly apply clean soapy rag to entire paint. Do not use swirl motion
4. Pay again and wash the car down with wax again. Car will build big layer of wax everytime you do this and always stay clean.

I never, ever wash my car in the winter. I go to one of these automated drive-ins and buy ONLY 1 item: undercarriage cleaning. It's darn cheap here: $4.50 instead of going for their package - usually $12. In winter - under-carriage cleaning is all that's required. Before winter sets in, I put a nice layer of marine wax - 3 layers. I do not do all the other mumbo-jumbo like clay-bar, polishing, etc. Just through clean and then the thick 3-layer wax with very light buffing. Anyways within 2 weeks everything will be dirty! Post winter, in spring go for the full Monty, i.e. a full exterior/interior detailing.

Well thats a terrible idea. Its especially important to keep your car clean during the winter months because all the salt and grit destroys the paint and metal in the car. Winter washing is important.

Before you declare the seats to be crap, why not investigate the marks and see if they will come off and photos would be a good idea to allow people to tell you if theirs are similar.

Highly agree. Our car has 50k miles on it and my messy younger sisters are always causing havoc in the back seat and the seats have held up well.

Last edited:
On the leather...go to AutoZone or WalMart for Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. Works great as a mild cleaner for leather seats and doesn't leave a film behind. Just a great overall interior cleaner. The leather is pretty easy to "scuff" but since it's a coated leather, they also clean easily. Meguiar's QID is also great on the steering wheel to remove oils and dirt from your hands.

In the Winter, I wash the cars in the garage using 2 buckets of HOT tap water and Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax...1 bucket for rinsing out dirt after washing each panel, and the other for the wash solution. I put ONR in both buckets though. Then I use Optimum's spray wax. I'm done with buffers. Been there, done that...no time or need for it anymore (for me).

I go through a touch-less wash to blast off the undercarriage if the city sprayed salt on the streets. Not much snow in TN though.

My choice of Touring over GT seems impeccable every time I read issues with
Leather
Drl headlights
Cost of windshield replacement
30k life of 19 inch which cost 200+ more on set and last less
Sensors upfront which makes a small rear end cost a ton.

Actually feel lot of GT owners would be more satisfied with value and low maintenance a touring provides. GT is not only 3-4k more at purchase... Over a 7 yr ownership it might burn a bigger hole in your pocket.

Leather
Drl headlights

Actually feel lot of GT owners would be more satisfied with value and low maintenance a touring provides. GT is not only 3-4k more at purchase... Over a 7 yr ownership it might burn a bigger hole in your pocket.

Happy with my Touring :)

Leather
Drl headlights

My thoughts exactly on a Touring CX-5. Excellente value. Only reason why I'd opt not to go with the Sport is the lack of BSM.

That said OP stated he put a black rubber bottomed back pack on his leather seats. What color are the seats? If white leather then it just comes with the territory.

My seats are okay, but then again I try to clean and condition them regularly. The drivers seat is developing wrinkles but that's normal. In the winter... I must be spoiled. I just wash it the same way I normally do. #losangeles ;)

My seats are okay, but then again I try to clean and condition them regularly. The drivers seat is developing wrinkles but that's normal. In the winter... I must be spoiled. I just wash it the same way I normally do. #losangeles ;)

Car leather has a protective coating on it, so youre not really conditioning anything when you use that stuff. Just keep it clean with some sort of interior detail.

Hello!

I have two questions for you guys.

1. I put a backpack on my backseat (computer backpack with rubber on the bottom of it.) I am very careful when I put it in and take it out. However, I noticed that there are now creases and what appears to be scuff marks from the bag. Is the leather really that crappy in this SUV? (17 GT). Anyway, I am not sure how to get the scuff marks out. Does anyone have any idea? I am assuming the creases are normal from just sitting the bag on the leather. My biggest fear is when I have to put in the baby seats for my nephews.

Thanks all!

Being in Wisconsin I can speak to the winter washes quite well. I use optimum No rinse, the standard one, not the wash and wax. Since I have an SiO2 coating on my car the extra Wax in the wash and wax doesn't do me much good. I only use one bucket with a grit guard at the bottom and 5 edgeless microfiber towels to wash the whole car. 4 gallons of warm water and about 2-3 oz of ONR solution and plop the towels in. I use one towel for the roof and side windows folding it in fourths so I get 8 sides. Try not to drag the dirty part of the towel over the paint more then once. Folded in fourths I can usually get about 3-4 swipes per 1/4 folded towel, front, middle, back of that side, then I refold towel to a clean side. I use the towels quite wet and only squeeze a small amount of water out, very little just so it's not sopping wet. Next is a towel for the hood and front fenders, one per each side and last a towel for the rear of the car. Wash from the top down using straight line swipes across the surface.

I will often use a 1 gallon garden sprayer with ONR solution to presoak the panels before I clean them, if the car is really bad I take it to the coin op and do a high pressure rinse only, then come back home and wash as normal, my local coin op doesn't allow the use of personal supplies in their bays.

Where abouts in Wisconsin are you? If you're close by you could swing by some day and I can walk you thru the process if you'd like.

A for the leather seats, pics would help. They might just be some of that rubber transferred to the seats from the bag. I typically use Meguiars APC 10:1 and a horse hair brush and microfiber to clean the seats followed by a conditioner. I like both wolfgang leather conditioning cream and Meguiars Ultimate leather balm.

Being in Wisconsin I can speak to the winter washes quite well. I use optimum No rinse, the standard one, not the wash and wax. Since I have an SiO2 coating on my car the extra Wax in the wash and wax doesn't do me much good. I only use one bucket with a grit guard at the bottom and 5 edgeless microfiber towels to wash the whole car. 4 gallons of warm water and about 2-3 oz of ONR solution and plop the towels in. I use one towel for the roof and side windows folding it in fourths so I get 8 sides. Try not to drag the dirty part of the towel over the paint more then once. Folded in fourths I can usually get about 3-4 swipes per 1/4 folded towel, front, middle, back of that side, then I refold towel to a clean side. I use the towels quite wet and only squeeze a small amount of water out, very little just so it's not sopping wet. Next is a towel for the hood and front fenders, one per each side and last a towel for the rear of the car. Wash from the top down using straight line swipes across the surface.

I will often use a 1 gallon garden sprayer with ONR solution to presoak the panels before I clean them, if the car is really bad I take it to the coin op and do a high pressure rinse only, then come back home and wash as normal, my local coin op doesn't allow the use of personal supplies in their bays.

Where abouts in Wisconsin are you? If you're close by you could swing by some day and I can walk you thru the process if you'd like.

A for the leather seats, pics would help. They might just be some of that rubber transferred to the seats from the bag. I typically use Meguiars APC 10:1 and a horse hair brush and microfiber to clean the seats followed by a conditioner. I like both wolfgang leather conditioning cream and Meguiars Ultimate leather balm.

Pleasant Prairie, WI.... you?

Back