2017 Clunky suspension.

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
Have right at 6,700 miles and I'm hearing "click" and "clunk" noises from the suspension. Seems to be both front and rear and mostly when making turns and especially when making a turn and going up hill simultaneously. Anyone else?

Have you done anything rough to your suspension or went too fast over a bump? Anyone else may have driven the car aggressively?

Is something in your wheel well area? Like a plastic soda bottle or something.

No. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing jarring. It also tracks down the road smoothly and straight.

Um... well.. I would suspect bushings? I dont know because thats not normal. You should take it to the dealer right away and have them sort it out because your situation is simply unacceptable. If they dont sort out the issue right away, Id find a reputable mechanic and have them check it out. Could be something small, hopefully..

Have right at 6,700 miles and I'm hearing "click" and "clunk" noises from the suspension. Seems to be both front and rear and mostly when making turns and especially when making a turn and going up hill simultaneously. Anyone else?

I will suggest to take it to the dealer. The warranty is for 3 years 36k.
Use it or loose it.[emoji3]

Is something in your wheel well area? Like a plastic soda bottle or something.

I hadn't thought of that possibility. That seems like a good hypothesis. I'd physically look before bothering with taking it to the dealer.

Any chance it's a loose nut or something moving around somewhere? You mentioned turning and moving up a hill... so that got me thinking something could be sliding around.

I can't see it being air pressure, I'm running with 38psi front and 40psi rear, ready for towing, no clicks or clunks, but it is the older car.

Suspension bottom out as you hit too fast / hard with wheel is turned / locked in one direction ...

like others suggested take it to the dealership and have them check ...

personally I think its normal-ish guessing you turn the wheel and go up hill and the front then rear would bottom out ( fully compress )
due to the lock of the wheel and the angle of the vehicle during the turn...

where I live (San Francisco) there are STEEP hills on certain location and if I were to turn and drive up too fast the same could/would occur...
I personally slow down a bit to avoid situation...

Last edited:
check your tire air pressure; mine were all over 40 when I bought the car.

That has nothing to do with the suspension clunk. Mazda overinflates the tires from the factory so they dont get any flat spots during the boat ride from Japan.

I can't see it being air pressure, I'm running with 38psi front and 40psi rear, ready for towing, no clicks or clunks, but it is the older car.

If you hear clicking when turning, it could be CV axles. Look under car and inspect the CV rubber boots. Is it possible that they got torn driving over debris or rough terrain? Clunking in the rear could be loose spare tire or something in the spare tire well rolling around. Good luck.

I wonder if any lubrication got on the front and rear stabilizer bar bushings? This can apparently cause noise.

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-09%20at%2012.59.35%20PM.png

I was thinking it was the front and rear stabilizer needing lubrication... I'll see what happens tomorrow.

I hear the same things when turning and driving slowly when there is a bump like into a parking lot or driveway. I only have about 2700 miles on the car so far. Usually I just think it is the retractable cargo cover making noise for some reason.

The problem with the new CX-5 is that it's so quiet you can hear all the running gear rumble under the car. Shock absorbers make quite a lot of noise and this car lets you listen. However, I agree it should be checked out.

Dealer spent all day with the vehicle. Could not find the problem, but they hear the noise. Per the dealer, the district service advisor says they have only experienced this problem with one other 2017 cx5. They are using a 2015 tsb, some 2015s had the same issues, that says installing coil spring protectors should solve the problem. So hopefully it works and I get my car back tomorrow.

Just picked up the CX5 with coil spring protectors installed the noise is gone. Seems like a simple fix covered under warranty

Back