Check Engine Light?

webwiz

:
2016.5 CX-5
Background: 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring, owned for 14 months, just under 10,000 miles.

In the past few weeks, the check engine light has come on a few times. The first time, I suspected a loose gas cap. Topped off the tank, tightened the cap, and the light went away. But then it came on again a week or two later. Connected my OBD-II reader, but it didn't find any codes. Pressed the "clear codes" button anyway. Within a day, the check engine light went out.

This past weekend, it came on again - still no codes on the OBD-II reader. Car is behaving normally - no change in acceleration or handling, and I don't hear any out-of-ordinary sounds.

I'd hate to take it to the dealer with an unknown check engine light. That feels like an invitation for them to find something expensive.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I've gone through several tanks of gas, from different suppliers, and know the cap is on firmly.

Thanks.

What do you care if they "do something expensive" (in order to fix it). It's under warranty!

What do you care if they "do something expensive" (in order to fix it). It's under warranty!
Right? I don't understand. During the warranty I'll take my car to the dealer for every little thing...hell if it even looks funny. [emoji197]

I'd have the dealer check it out. If the CEL came on then the codes are stored. Dealer should be able to read them.

Could be a faulty sensor, better to get it on record now then have one completely fail at 37,000 miles or 37 months.

I would not be driving it with a CEL. Let the dealer pull the data from the ECU...(kiss)

That's extreme Mazdadude. In very very very almost no cases will driving with a CEL do any long term damage.

That's extreme Mazdadude. In very very very almost no cases will driving with a CEL do any long term damage.

That is correct! I should have phrased it better... "If it were me, and I had a vehicle under warranty, I would not continue driving around for weeks with that CEL, I would bring it to the dealer"

Last edited:
I agree with Mazdadude.
You want to be conservative when the vehicle is still under warranty.
Otherwise, any damage induced by continuous driving with CEL on will be on you.
That is what a typical dealer would do.

If the CEL is solid, it's not doing any major damage

If the CEL blinks - it could very well be doing major damage

If you're under warranty don't be erasing codes for anything but a gas cap. Especially if you don't know what you're erasing. Take it in and have it diagnosed properly.

Back