Which CX-5 would you get?

:
CX-5
I have 2 options on a CX-5 right now and I wanted to run some numbers by you to see what you would do in my shoes:

Option 1:
Used 2016 CX-5 Touring in white with Moonroof package (Not sure what else is included, but moonroof is important to me)
7,600 miles (It was a dealer loaner car) and is Mazda Certified Pre-Owned so he 100k Mile warranty is very attractive.
Dealer price: $23,950
Trade in: $5500
Total price: $18450
Price after TTL: $20,500
This price is confirmed from the dealer (Not sure if it's a good price or not, but the car is in really good condition)

Option 2:
New 2017 CX-5 Touring with Preferred Package
Hoping to get a dealer price of $27,000 (MSRP is $28,400). I think this would be a good deal on the car, but let's say the dealer can agree to this price
Trade in: $5500
Total price: $21,500
Price after TTL: $23,250

So my real question is if the new 2017 CX-5 is worth the $3k extra? I like the style of both so that's not a huge deal, but are there substantial upgrades on the 2017 that really make it a slam dunk compared to the 2016?

It does. Go for it. Your windshield not being broken for no apparent reason will make up for the difference...

IMO, borrowers frequently treat loaner cars poorly.
Even though it is CPO, potential early mistreatment would give me pause.

Though I have a GT, looking at Mazda's website indicates that the Touring Preferred Package includes radar cruise control and a number of other upgrades and safety features that weren't available on the '16 Touring.
Having had several vehicles with radar cruise control, I'll never purchase another on which it's available that isn't so equipped.
A wonderful convenience ... and Mazda's for the '17 model year improves on previous versions.

Furthermore, I have a personal preference for the 17's revised styling ... something that you state isn't a concern for you.

If the decision were mine, I'd go for the new '17.
Keep in mind that this is MY preference and YMMV ... so determine which vehicle works best for YOUR situation.

The thing to remember is that all the systems have been updated and the car has all the latest safety systems.

I personally would bring yourself bang up to date with the new model.

Despite my love for gen1 I think I'd go with the new one though I think you can probably push them a bit more price wise. I think touring w/preferred on the 17 is a sweet spot value now. That said if that extra 3k could be put good use(paying down other debt, etc.) I wouldn't discount the 2016 option either. I like the led lights on 17 but might occasionally miss the added cargo hold and slightly tighter handling of the 16. Neither a slam dunk, go with your gut.

So my real question is if the new 2017 CX-5 is worth the $3k extra?
It's a very easy choice getting a brand new 2017 CX-5 Touring with Preferred Equipment Package for $2,750 extra over a used 2016 CX-5 Touring with Bose/Moonroof Package especially you have no issues on 2017's styling. 2017's has a lot more features than 2016's. And you actually are not paying $2,750 more once you consider the resale value where 2017 MY definitely worth more than a 2016 by the time you get rid of the vehicle.

agreed with everyone else, this is a no brainer,

Option 2:
New 2017 CX-5 Touring with Preferred Package

the reduced noise reduction alone is worth it

Last edited:
How much value is there in the factory pre owned warranty? Standard power train warranty upgrades are usually $2k or so right?

Your new Touring can be had for 25600 if you work hard. 26500 with freebies is doable.

Funny on used 16 touring- i bought a new one for 39 bucks less than your quote. Did not have white color which is 200$ xtra.

I would actually say this:
Your trade in is 5500 - so you use cars till the very end- 16 certified is more safe bet (at 22500 not 23,950).
If you value latest looks and bells whistles go for 2017. 2,000 you pay extra will be partially recouped on resale.
17 overall is a much better car. Best value for me would be 2017 without doubt. See how much you trust Mazda brand.

You think I could get that price for an AWD?

A lady in buy thread hit 12.33 % off a 34 grand GT fully loaded plus some extras. I am assuming 10% since Touring is cheaper and easy sell. Anyhow 26250 or so should be possible.

Thanks for all your help here. I think I'm going to swing for the fences on the 2016 (I'm going to offer them $21k for the car instead of the list price at $24k).

I'm going to go in at $21k after the trade-in for a 2017. I think if I could get both offers accepted, the 2016 becomes much more attractive for me. After trade-in that would be a $5k difference in price vs the original 3k difference.

I actually already tried to buy a 2017 touring with my options and they wouldn't budge on the price really. They offered me $4600 for my car but I got them up to $5900. Even if I add the $1300 increase into their 'deal' on the 2017, that's at about 7% discount off of MSRP. I offered to pull the trigger if they could find $200 in there and they let me walk.

IMO, borrowers frequently treat loaner cars poorly.
Even though it is CPO, potential early mistreatment would give me pause.

I agree with you Turborascal 100%.

I will take a CPO if it was only one owner and the price is right.

I think is better for the OP to get a new one. The dealers want to get rid of the old ones at any cost.

Your new Touring can be had for 25600 if you work hard. 26500 with freebies is doable.

Funny on used 16 touring- i bought a new one for 39 bucks less than your quote. Did not have white color which is 200$ xtra.

I would actually say this:
Your trade in is 5500 - so you use cars till the very end- 16 certified is more safe bet (at 22500 not 23,950).
If you value latest looks and bells whistles go for 2017. 2,000 you pay extra will be partially recouped on resale.
17 overall is a much better car. Best value for me would be 2017 without doubt. See how much you trust Mazda brand.

I'd love to hear from someone who got a 2017 Touring AWD and PEP at under 27, let alone under 26. Maybe the Midwest isn't the best market, but I didn't get anything near that from dealers all over, volume included. GTs are much more plentiful, and with a higher price tag, I'd imagine there's more wiggle room on price.

I'd love to hear from someone who got a 2017 Touring AWD and PEP at under 27, let alone under 26. Maybe the Midwest isn't the best market, but I didn't get anything near that from dealers all over, volume included. GTs are much more plentiful, and with a higher price tag, I'd imagine there's more wiggle room on price.
There are plenty. I havent even added the freebies yet
Free oil change
Free Tint
Free Cargo Tray
I forced my dealer to remove his decal - so that saved him 10 bucks kekekeke.

Alright, update:

Got a 2017 Touring with Preferred package today. List was $28990. They gave me $6000 for my trade-in (Dealer across town offered $4600 initially and $5900 after negotiation). Got about it down to $21k before TTL with the $6k trade-in, so I paid $27k for the car. I'm happy with that price and really happy with the car!

I got a 2017 touring with sunroof/Bose system. Also pearl white paint for 26333, that was with my loyalty discount. Than we negotiated the 0.9% finance for 60months and Than I negotiated my trade, payoff was 18500 it was worth 26000, so I got 7500 for that. After this I purchased the warrenty for 100k 5 years for around 1700$. I also got some free floor mats thrown in. I think msrp was around 29200.

Back