:
2017 MAZDA CX-5 GT
So these warnings just popped up:

On my dashboard:
- Front Camera Sensor System Malfunction
- Smart Brake System Malfunction
- Forward Smart City Brake Support Malfunction

On my Infotainment System:
- HBC/LAS System Malfunction (high beam control and lane-keep assist)
- SCBS Malfunction

It happened while I was parked with my a/c on in 106 degree heat. Are those sensors where the front Mazda emblem is? I had my windshield visor on (while the car was running) and then these warnings came up. I don't know if it's related or if it messed with the sensors at the top/rear view mirror. Or maybe this LA heat is burning my insides.

Made an appointment to take it in. It'll be my first trip back to dealership after 2,900 miles!

If you turn the ignition off, wait for 30 seconds then start it again, if they all clear, don’t worry about it. If they don’t clear or come back again, arrange to see the dealer.

The camera behind the emblem is for the radar cruise control if fitted. All the others are in the windscreen pod. If the system goes out of range even for a millisecond, it will warn you that the systems COULD be effected when in fact they reset OK. Try it and see what happens.

So these warnings just popped up:

On my dashboard:
- Front Camera Sensor System Malfunction
- Smart Brake System Malfunction
- Forward Smart City Brake Support Malfunction

On my Infotainment System:
- HBC/LAS System Malfunction (high beam control and lane-keep assist)
- SCBS Malfunction

It happened while I was parked with my a/c on in 106 degree heat. Are those sensors where the front Mazda emblem is? I had my windshield visor on (while the car was running) and then these warnings came up. I don't know if it's related or if it messed with the sensors at the top/rear view mirror. Or maybe this LA heat is burning my insides.

Made an appointment to take it in. It'll be my first trip back to dealership after 2,900 miles!

Only sensors behind Mazda emblem are for Mazda radar cruise control with stop n go (MRCC)

The rest which also includes MRCC are behind the rear view mirror. See below:

Capture.jpg

If you turn the ignition off, wait for 30 seconds then start it again, if they all clear, don’t worry about it. If they don’t clear or come back again, arrange to see the dealer.

The camera behind the emblem is for the radar cruise control if fitted. All the others are in the windscreen pod. If the system goes out of range even for a millisecond, it will warn you that the systems COULD be effected when in fact they reset OK. Try it and see what happens.

Not to call you out, but this is false. Mine did the same thing and I brought it to the dealer and there is a known issue with the camera due to heat in high temp environments. The dealer replaced it with a new camera and said it wasn't the first one they had seen either.

Not to call you out, but this is false. Mine did the same thing and I brought it to the dealer and there is a known issue with the camera due to heat in high temp environments. The dealer replaced it with a new camera and said it wasn't the first one they had seen either.

Have you since had the same issue with the new camera (uhm)

So after a few hours of sitting in the garage, it returned back to normal and there are no more warnings. I even tested the sensors with the cruise control, etc and everything worked fine.

You're right, I think it was from the front of the car sitting in direct sunlight.

Good info. I'll have a trawl through my TSBs.

OK, after my promised trawl, I found the only TSB there is on the subject and not to call you out, it isn't related to a heat failure, it is due to the system being too sensitive to strong sunlight - it effectively gets dazzled and shuts some systems down temporarily to prevent the risk of malfunction. The mechanism is described on the last pages. It does effect early US KFs (2017 models). It also explains why the system resets itself when it can see again. See attached. The last vehicle built with the early camera was on the 26th April this year so it doesn't effect later models.

Last edited:
So after a few hours of sitting in the garage, it returned back to normal and there are no more warnings. I even tested the sensors with the cruise control, etc and everything worked fine.

You're right, I think it was from the front of the car sitting in direct sunlight.

If it happens again, I would get it looked at.

Sitting in direct sunlight should not cause this issue

If it happens again, I would get it looked at.

Sitting in direct sunlight should not cause this issue

The TSB says it might if the sun is bright enough. Mine was built on the 11th may and the VIN No puts it out of the effected vehicles but I occasionally go over the brow of a hill and am confronted by the strongest sunlight. Even with the later parts, I wouldn't be surprised if it did a similar thing. However, with this info I wouldn't be concerned and would just stop and reset it at the first opportunity. On my old CX-5, it would all of a sudden declare that the rear sensors were not working but I ignored that after finding a quick reset fixed it or it just went off on some occasions.

The TSB says it might if the sun is bright enough. Mine was built on the 11th may and the VIN No puts it out of the effected vehicles but I occasionally go over the brow of a hill and am confronted by the strongest sunlight. Even with the later parts, I wouldn't be surprised if it did a similar thing. However, with this info I wouldn't be concerned and would just stop and reset it at the first opportunity. On my old CX-5, it would all of a sudden declare that the rear sensors were not working but I ignored that after finding a quick reset fixed it or it just went off on some occasions.
Our sunlight down here can get pretty bright but so far no such issue has been reported. It should also be noted that we don't have tsbs here .

OK, after my promised trawl, I found the only TSB there is on the subject and not to call you out, it isn't related to a heat failure, it is due to the system being too sensitive to strong sunlight - it effectively gets dazzled and shuts some systems down temporarily to prevent the risk of malfunction. The mechanism is described on the last pages. It does effect early US KFs (2017 models). It also explains why the system resets itself when it can see again. See attached. The last vehicle built with the early camera was on the 26th April this year so it doesn't effect later models.

Thanks for the info. My VIN is in the range of affected vehicles, so I'll keep an eye on the issue. Is this something the dealer will fix even if I don't experience the symptoms?

Thanks for the info. My VIN is in the range of affected vehicles, so I'll keep an eye on the issue. Is this something the dealer will fix even if I don't experience the symptoms?

Should do now that you've registered the fault. You might have to flower it up a bit and says it does it frequently but you are entitled to the latest fix if it's done it anyway. Have a copy of the PDF to hand if he plays all coy.

The above TSB applies to Australia ��

Huh.

So much for Mazda Australia letting us know. I suspect unless it is a formal recall for some sort of issue, us owners here don't here about these TSBs :(

May I ask how you are getting these please (uhm)

P.S - Thanks for the clarification.

Should do now that you've registered the fault. You might have to flower it up a bit and says it does it frequently but you are entitled to the latest fix if it's done it anyway. Have a copy of the PDF to hand if he plays all coy.
In the US even if your VIN falls into the affected vehicles of a TSB, Mazda dealers can't perform a TSB fix for you unless your CX-5 has the symptom described in a TSB, or your vehicle has registered error codes to prove the symptom. Otherwise it's your expense once your vehicle is out of the warranty, even if there's a TSB for your problem. You'd better try to park your CX-5 more under the direct sun to trigger the problem as soon as possible, so that you can get your older version FSC replaced before warranty expires.

Just going by what the dealer said to me. Mine was actually parked with the front away from the sun, but outside temp read over 115f when I started it up. Hasn't happened again since they replaced the camera.

Just going by what the dealer said to me. Mine was actually parked with the front away from the sun, but outside temp read over 115f when I started it up. Hasn't happened again since they replaced the camera.
46 degrees Celsius! That's freaking hot! But I think your less humid environment may help. Here in Ph the 40 degrees Celsius is unbearable because our humid climate.

Back