Sudden windshield crack

DHBILLINGS007

:
CX5 touring
Woke up to a large crack in the top center of my windshield of my CX5. Car was parked in garage for 1 1/2 days. This was nit there when driven last. The crack spread over 12 inches and in a shape of a fish hook while driving to town, less that 15 miles, on paved road . I could watch the crack spread while sitting at a red light!!!!!!!!! Have noted many same complaints concerning this issue on several car sites about Mazda SUV. Just filed a complaint with the nhtsa.gov. Any one have this problem?

Same deal here, same place, similar shape. Quite a few people have that happened to them. Mazda dealer or Canada corp wanted nothing to do with it and blamed the non-existent stone chip. We went through insurance...

Insurance said glass brakeage is now covered under Comprehensive and subjective to my $500 deductible! !!! Now have to pay out of pocket for fix😠 Cost $400

Yep. Our glass was CAD $1200-something total. The installer took $400 instead of 500 deductible, so I feel like I've got a deal! :-(

Jepp it happens often-and this Type of temperature tension crash is because they glue the factory glas at the produktion line to tight in the frame!! With the second or replaced glas it happens not even half as often as the first fabric one.
I had the same issue and heared a lot about this topic.

Cheers 101

Yep. Our glass was CAD $1200-something total. The installer took $400 instead of 500 deductible, so I feel like I've got a deal! :-(

They probably could have made you a even better price because the big share of their loan they get from the insurance anyways and it would cover already the cost of the window + working hours. So in fact the money share from our/customer side is just on top for them. That's why it is so attractive to every garage to got such a official order to repair on cost of a insurance contract/procedure. They under quote each other if you would compare garages-to get this deal/order!!
In a Independent Garage without the insurance background they maybe would calculate around 500-600 in total because the Glas is not to expensive around 350 not more I think + working hours two guys for 1.5h working time. Anyways - important is that you got a new one..... have a good one[emoji12][emoji137]🏻*♂️......

Cheers 101

Last edited:
Woke up to a large crack in the top center of my windshield of my CX5. Car was parked in garage for 1 1/2 days. This was nit there when driven last. The crack spread over 12 inches and in a shape of a fish hook while driving to town, less that 15 miles, on paved road . I could watch the crack spread while sitting at a red light!!!!!!!!! Have noted many same complaints concerning this issue on several car sites about Mazda SUV. Just filed a complaint with the nhtsa.gov. Any one have this problem?

Normal. Had 2 windshields die similarly. It's the Mazda glass. it sucks. If you look SUPER CLOSE you MIGHT find the culprit, as it's likely a rock hit. It takes virtually nothing to do this to the OEM windshield and may have not even left a peck mark hardly. My Mazda windshields lasted a few months to a few days. My Safelite windshield is going strong nearly a year---and many rock hits---later.

It seems funny to me that some people suffer from windscreen cracks and stone chips and others don’t when there essentially all turned out of the factory the same.

My 2016's windshield survived 26 months of driving with just a few very small rock chips, and it took some serious hits over the winter. Wonder how long it'll end up lasting.

I have $0 deductible for glass though... so I wasn't too concerned from a financial standpoint.

I had it happen to mine too, last year.
Dealer checked with a coin, to "see" if there is a chip in the crack and they could not find one, so they have replaced it under warranty.
Try different dealer.

It seems funny to me that some people suffer from windscreen cracks and stone chips and others don’t when there essentially all turned out of the factory the same.

I think the glass has internal stress when formed. On one of my Mazda windshields, the crack opened up wide enough I could fit a fingernail into it. Not all of them suck, but enough do that I'd never use OEM glass. Safelite is better in this case.

My 2016's windshield survived 26 months of driving with just a few very small rock chips, and it took some serious hits over the winter. Wonder how long it'll end up lasting.

I have $0 deductible for glass though... so I wasn't too concerned from a financial standpoint.

Same, it's something like 2-3 dollars a month more. I pay it. It's paid off 2x now.

The same thing just happen to me, exactly, j shaped large crack in center top area of windshield. I was on vacation and had some luggage on top of car, but not very heavy. Never remember any rocks hitting windshield. Had it replaced 2 weeks ago, probably a Mazda glass. Better not happen again. I'm still living with a automatic trans issue also. Not to happy with my 50k cx5, 2014

Back