2017 Mazda CX-5 Moose And Slalom Test

Summary:

Very balanced car, better than Peugot 5008. Lifts inside rear wheel and it will feel like a small delay for the car to settle. Looses little speed because of stability control and executing the maneuver is very simple because there is no strange movements of the car. Couldn't do 78kph without running over cone. Still easy to keep car under control at that speed.

Slalom. Traction control is very smooth and activates only gradually so you don't lose too much speed and it's not jerky.

Since when do they have moose in Spain?

Summary:

Very balanced car, better than Peugot 5008. Lifts inside rear wheel and it will feel like a small delay for the car to settle. Looses little speed because of stability control and executing the maneuver is very simple because there is no strange movements of the car. Couldn't do 78kph without running over cone. Still easy to keep car under control at that speed.

Slalom. Traction control is very smooth and activates only gradually so you don't lose too much speed and it's not jerky.

Since when do they have moose in Spain?

Thanks for the translation!

Good gawd! Did I watch the same video others here did? CX-5 may well be the best handling compact CUV out there, but you can't deny physics. In many of those runs it simply looked like a drunken whale. No wonder I'm looking forward to trading mine in foe a Mazda 3 or some other 5 door hatch next year!

Good gawd! Did I watch the same video others here did? CX-5 may well be the best handling compact CUV out there, but you can't deny physics. In many of those runs it simply looked like a drunken whale. No wonder I'm looking forward to trading mine in foe a Mazda 3 or some other 5 door hatch next year!

You have higher expectations than the others. The CX-5 is a SUV with AWD. Your new 3 will handle better with its low C of G but it won’t do what a CX-5 does. Those are very aggressive manoeuvres. The test is requirement before the car can be sold in Scandinavia.

Yea it's good for what it is but you can't cheat physics. Higher ground clearance means higher CoG. See how other SUVs do though. Some are downright scary to watch.

Compare that CX-5 moose test vid with the new Civic's https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=T69yPK2CbV8 at the 77-79km/h speeds. The CX-5 is taller/heavier but appears to corner a bit sharper though? The CX-5 appears to provide good driver control while being higher helps visibility to avoid certain collisions than say a Civic. I also would prefer to be in a bigger vehicle when hitting a moose.

Compare that CX-5 moose test vid with the new Civic's https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=T69yPK2CbV8 at the 77-79km/h speeds. The CX-5 is taller/heavier but appears to corner a bit sharper though? The CX-5 appears to provide good driver control while being higher helps visibility to avoid certain collisions than say a Civic. I also would prefer to be in a bigger vehicle when hitting a moose.
You can argue that "higher seating advantage" thing all you want, but I'll trade it for the evasive capability advantage of a well-sorted sedan/hatch/"shooting brake" any day.

You can argue that "higher seating advantage" thing all you want, but I'll trade it for the evasive capability advantage of a well-sorted sedan/hatch/"shooting brake" any day.

The point is though Paris, it isnt a well sorted hatch.

Honda doesn't, in my humble opinion, do a good job with their stability control and ABS calibration. I've had rental Civics that felt sketchy driving on roads with light frost or just a little wet. Never an issue in the VW or Fords I've owned. Haven't had our CX-5 in winter yet but the winter tests I've seen were encouraging. I think Honda focuses on getting every millimeter of space inside before anything else. Whereas Mazda is more focused on driving dynamics.

Good point and not arguing there.

Compare the Civic and the CX-5 at 77-78km/h speeds. Pay attention to the trail the wheels follows. Yes the CX-5 dives more (since it's an CUV with higher clearance) but it appears to stay on its forecasted trail more consistent. I was surprised by this considering the CX-5's tallness. The Civic was sliding a bit more. Well unless the CX-5 was an AWD model?

In other news, water is wet.

You can't compare the CX-5 to the Mazda 3 or the Honda Civic. The CX-5 is a great handling CUV but the higher center of mass and the softer suspension have negative impact. For those that have not tested the Civic Hatch, you should do so. It is a very nice car with solid handling. Not as refined feeling as the 3 but very nice.

Also, watch the other video's, the results are interesting. The 911 Turbo starts hitting cones at 83 KMH where the Mazda 3 and Civic do it at 80. Also, watch the Juke video, or don't if you have one. Very scary!

Last edited:
Back