2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal scratches

Salsaphile1

:
Mazda CX-5 2017
Hi. I have new scratches that won't come out on my new beautiful Mazda with mild polishing compound. I worked at it for over 10 minutes to no avail. How to I make these scratches disappear? Touch up paint? Can it be done neatly? The scratches are about hair-width.

Also, do the scratches look intentional? Or could it have been a shopping cart. TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    540.4 KB · Views: 677
damn, that sucks, why do jealous people have to do this $hit, people who have nice things like a new red CX-5 work hard too.

that looks intentional like it was done with a key, can't tell by your picture but is green arrow area sheetmetal deformed and pushed in ?

if so, definitely intentional with a key. Green arrow was the first point of contact then perpetrator did a check mark shape and then two more check marks on the right just to be a jerk.

[SUP][/SUP]

Last edited:
I actually buffed out some additional scratches. I think my neighbor did it ��

dang, with neighbors liked that , who needs enemies, it looks like it went thru the clearcoat down to base metal.

why is your neighbor so pissed off to do something like that, unfortunately, I don't think it's an easy fix....

the red color is very difficult to match, you may need to have a professional take a look at it.......

Looks to me like someone had a bag on and it rubbed / nicked your car as they were moving between vehicles in a parking lot.

I've been keyed before. Intentional key marks are often much thicker / longer / deeper and would have large changes in direction.

My guess is a zipper on someone's purse or backpack and they got away from the car when they realized they hit it - or didn't even realize they hit it.

Looks to me like someone had a bag on and it rubbed / nicked your car as they were moving between vehicles in a parking lot.

I've been keyed before. Intentional key marks are often much thicker / longer / deeper and would have large changes in direction.

My guess is a zipper on someone's purse or backpack and they got away from the car when they realized they hit it - or didn't even realize they hit it.

+1 for above.

If it was intentional, it will be extremely obvious.
Even many deeper scratches may seem intentional, but are accidental.

You would be suprised at how many careless people there are who don't realize what they have or wearing, will scratch a car. I would put >90% of the population in that catagory.

That makes for a high probability for scratches in everyday usage.

+1 for above.

If it was intentional, it will be extremely obvious.
Even many deeper scratches may seem intentional, but are accidental.

You would be suprised at how many careless people there are who don't realize what they have or wearing, will scratch a car. I would put >90% of the population in that catagory.

That makes for a high probability for scratches in everyday usage.

A few rules I stick to ....

1. Never park between other cars. Only do so if bay is wide enough that if car door is opened, it cant touch the next car. Most bays are not wide enough, hence almost never park next to another car.
2. Park well away from everybody else. ( I am anal about this)
3. My CX5 has 19 inch rims...USE them them. Park were others will not park.

I walk a lot. So number 2 is not an issue for me, but hey, I get mad when I do park far away, and then find somebody who avoids an entire open car lot to park next to me. That's happened a couple of times.
Old people are a real problem. They struggle to get in and out of cars and hence swing a car door fully open a lot of the time. I once had an old lady opened her car door and banged my car while I was sitting in it!!.

Other problem ... kids getting in and out a cars in when windy. Kids don't anticipate the wind pulling the door out of their hands. This happens. Hence rule 1.

A few rules I stick to ....

1. Never park between other cars. Only do so if bay is wide enough that if car door is opened, it cant touch the next car. Most bays are not wide enough, hence almost never park next to another car.
2. Park well away from everybody else. ( I am anal about this)
3. My CX5 has 19 inch rims...USE them them. Park were others will not park.

I walk a lot. So number 2 is not an issue for me, but hey, I get mad when I do park far away, and then find somebody who avoids an entire open car lot to park next to me. That's happened a couple of times.
Old people are a real problem. They struggle to get in and out of cars and hence swing a car door fully open a lot of the time. I once had an old lady opened her car door and banged my car while I was sitting in it!!.

Other problem ... kids getting in and out a cars in when windy. Kids don't anticipate the wind pulling the door out of their hands. This happens. Hence rule 1.

While all points are valid and I agree, there is always the one who will fvck up your car. Murphy's law?

Looks too small to be intentional to me. Looks like you may have to fix the dent, which will require respray of the panel. If you don't mind the dent, if it isn't down to metal or past the clear coat, it can probably be wet sanded out, then buffed and take most of the scratching out. Pretty deep though, so I wouldn't count on it not being past the clear coat at least and into the paint.

I had a similar scratch on a different vehicle and I was able to fix it 90%. First I filled the scratches with touch up...several coats until it was higher than the clear coat around it. You have to be patient as this took a couple of days. Then I bought the 3M 39071 Scratch Removal System. It's a 3 step process that you can use your drill with and it comes with everything you would need. First you wet-sand, then compound, then polish. You use the 3" pads that come with the kit for compounding and polishing. As long as you have your standard drill you are good to go!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Can you feel the scratch with your finger nail? If so then it is thru the clear and the paint, possibly even down to primer, touch up or re-spray is your only options then. If you can't feel it then it should be able to be buffed out, mostly. Buffing by hand is very difficult to do to get rid of scratches. You need to be able to generate enough heat where you start to soften the clear coat so it blend together and hides better. I would first try a more aggressive polish, something like Meguiars M105 is pretty good, followed by M205 to bring back the shine. The use of a machine will help as well. For that small of an area I would use the smallest buffing pad. Currently the smallest I can go is 3" but with something like the Ibrid Nano from rupes you can go down to a 1" pad. The smaller pad concentrates the pressure and heat into a smaller area making the buffing cycle more effective. But be careful, to much heat and pressure and you can burn thru the clear and paint. I would find a detailing shop and ask them to have a go at it.

Back