2017 Advanced SCBS

felipebay

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT 2.5
Hi
I've been reading the forum for a while and I've found great advice on it! Congratulations!!

I own a 2017 Mazda CX-5 and found this forum while researching about SCBS. The new 2017 system now uses a camera instead of Laser to work and I've been trying to get it to stop to a hanged sheet of fabric and it won't stop. I was also planning on trying with a blank cardboard box, but I read somewere else that someone tried it and it didn't work.

I really would like to check if the system is working alright, has any one came up with an idea?? I saw some videos online of the new system stopping to a person and to a simulated car. I tried with a person but it didn't work.... maybe I applied the brakes before the system would have, but I had no warnign.

Any ideas or experience?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9pbWJRZoQo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be1iSen96UQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R1H2FQtFT8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLwzKsc_-qQ

I tried it with a human shaped box in my 16. Didn't work. It did work in real life though.
I get you want to see it action. I couldn't make it happen. But happen it did. Twice now.
Tip: stop doing it with real people. LOL

I tried it with a human shaped box in my 16. Didn't work. It did work in real life though.
I get you want to see it action. I couldn't make it happen. But happen it did. Twice now.
Tip: stop doing it with real people. LOL

hahaha I don't want to try it with real people... tried once giving enough margin to brake... but won't think of doing it without that margin !!

The thing I learned, at least for 16: if you are on the brake already it does not engage. 'imagining someone running into a hanging blanket repeatedly'

If you really want to try it, spend some $$$ on actual large cardboard cutouts of various cars, go to a quite parking lot and have a go.

It does work, happened to me 3 times so far. Once after someone cut me off I tried to pass them really close and the car came to a screeching stop. Second time was on the freeway traffic came to a crawl and I had my foot on the brake stopping slowly, I guess I was coming up to the car in front of me too fast and the car stopped hard on its own. Third time was today, the car in front of me was coming to a slow stop making a right turn, I was coming from behind stepping on my brakes and as I saw the car almost completed the turn, I let off the brakes and the car stopped on its own just so slightly before going again. Sometimes when it happens it scares the crap out of me :(

I never tested SCBS on purpose but I know it works because it's gone off a few times when I was reversing into my garage (we have SCBS reverse as well)

Just know it's there ready when you ever should need it :)

Got SCBS to go off a couple of times in my '15 GT via a crossing arm coming out of a parking lot. About tossed the wife through the windshield (yes, she was buckled in). On the '17 all I get is the warning display saying BRAKE NOW!

Got SCBS to go off a couple of times in my '15 GT via a crossing arm coming out of a parking lot. About tossed the wife through the windshield (yes, she was buckled in). On the '17 all I get is the warning display saying BRAKE NOW!
Good to see it's working!

Well I can assure you it works on mine. I get the warning and the brake application. Maybe they come in that order.

What does this do to brake wear?

Happened twice to me, once when I was passing someone on the freeway and I was somewhat close to the car directly in front of me.
Most recently on surface streets when someone decided to cut me off in the far right lane and couldn't get in the driveway fast enough right at a major intersection. Not liking the grind of the ABS.

I recently had dealer to replace brake pads/refinish rotors @ <5000 mi.

It would have been good to have the tech show you exactly why they needed replacing. That’s water under the bridge now.

"The squeaky wheel gets new shoes."
I'm surprised they were willing to do that for squeaking. Sounds like an unusually responsive dealer. You're lucky to have one like that.

I thought it was highly unusual that they started squealing so early on, whether at high or low speeds. Not sure if SCBS had anything to do with accelerated wear?

Seems unlikely. How often has SCBS activated for you in 5K miles?

Latest posts

Back