The Secret Device That Could Be the Key to Mazda's Revolutionary Gas Engine

Hey! I use one of those secret devices in my hot tub.

Thanks for the link.

Smaller companies often lead the way with innovation.

I have always said that big organisations are not better. Small is better for many reasons, and this is just one.

Smaller companies often lead the way with innovation.

I have always said that big organisations are not better. Small is better for many reasons, and this is just one.

What Mazda is doing here reminds me an awful lot of Honda's CVCC engine development in the early '70s when they were small and able to think outside the box. As a result, they were able to sell cars in the US for years without being saddled with the expensive calalytic converters everyone else was forced to use.

The new SkyActiv-X engine by Mazda is based on homogeneous charge compression ignition HCCI. HCCI engines have been around for many years, but Mazda is trying to make it work for mass production with decent longavity and efficiency. HCCI engine should be without spark plugs, but now Mazda has to use spark plugs for initial start up and disable them afterwards. To me, the whole technology is still premature for mass production and we should wait and see.

The new SkyActiv-X engine by Mazda is based on homogeneous charge compression ignition – HCCI. HCCI engines have been around for many years, but Mazda is trying to make it work for mass production with decent longavity and efficiency. HCCI engine should be without spark plugs, but now Mazda has to use spark plugs for initial start up and disable them afterwards. To me, the whole technology is still premature for mass production and we should wait and see.

The trouble with HCCI has been cold temps. It throws off the air/gas mixture to the point where if you design the engine to work well that way, it won't run well when it reaches normal temp. An engineer chimed in on Jalopnik a few weeks back; he figured they had also made a breakthrough in sensors (and processing) because its difficult to ascertain the status inside the cylinder without a direct measurement. Direct measurement is hard because the inside of the cylinder is pretty hostile, naturally.

I watched a Japanese version of the Skyactiv-X video.
It emphasizes the difficulty is in the transition from sparkplug mode to HCCI mode.
It is not binary.... that is the tricky part that Mazda is proud of. Not the HCCI itself, which is a known concept.

Back