$700 for rear rotors and brake pads ?

:
Miata and CX-5
Hello All,

I took my wife's 29,000 mile CX-5 to the dealer for two recall items (air bag and rear hatch lift mechanism), and asked the dealer to also do a safety check.
An hour later the dealer called me to suggest rear brake pads and rotors, he said they needed replacement. I authorized the work.
This afternoon I picked up the car and the dealer charged me $700 for the brake job. Is that a reasonable price or was I ripped off ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Why did you need pads and rotors? (boom01)

We did over 30k miles on our 2013 cx-5, and another 30k on our 2015 cx-5, and on both cars, both front and rear brakes were at greater than +60% remaining according to brake checks by dealer at trade in...

I smell something fishy here... (stoned)

Last edited:
Have not changed pads yet, but I can say that the battery for I stop technology costs $350. In other battery shops they cost $250

Hello All,

I took my wife's 29,000 mile CX-5 to the dealer for two recall items (air bag and rear hatch lift mechanism), and asked the dealer to also do a safety check.
An hour later the dealer called me to suggest rear brake pads and rotors, he said they needed replacement. I authorized the work.
This afternoon I picked up the car and the dealer charged me $700 for the brake job. Is that a reasonable price or was I ripped off ?

They didn't quote you the cost in advance? I can't imagine giving a dealer, or any mechanic that isn't time and materials, carte blanche to do work and charge me what they will.

Why did you need pads and rotors? (boom01)

We did over 30k miles on our 2013 cx-5, and another 30k on our 2015 cx-5, and on both cars, both front and rear brakes were at greater than +60% remaining according to brake checks by dealer at trade in...

I smell something fishy here... (stoned)

My 2016 CX-5, 31,000 miles, has 80% rear brake pad life remaining.
My wife's 2016 CX-5, 29,000 miles has nearly zero remaining brake pad life.
The dealer had in both cars, looked at them at the same time, and the above is what he said.
My question is whether $700 for one set of rear brake pads and rotors is reasonable or an excessive price ?

The dealer had in both cars, looked at them at the same time, and the above is what he said.
My question is whether $700 for one set of rear brake pads and rotors is reasonable or an excessive price ?
Excessive! I would have gotten a second opinion or at least asked to see the worn parts and given a thorough explanation as to why the cost was that high.

I am wondering if this should have been taken care of under the rear brake recall that was on certain CX-5s... It really sounds like you have a rear caliper defect to have worn that fast. Sometimes the dealer will double dip... they will fix the recall and get paid back by Mazda, and also get paid by the unsuspecting customer...

As far as cost, it depends on what they did at that price... what is the labor rate? how many hrs did they charge? what did they charge you for each part?

Pads online from Mazda FULL retail for $74.95
Rotors FULL retail for $83 each. x 2 = $166

Full retail price $74.95+$166= $240.95 (same parts are avail at discount online for $174 TOTAL)

$700-241= $459 for labor and brake fluid...

Last edited:
It's expensive-but at original Mazda dealer/garage I expect not different when I see theire prices for the original oil(three times as high) same to the clips to fix the body parts at place-some special ones they charge ten times the price from other providers.
So in fact only go to the service which effects the warranty to Mazda other things you could do yourself or a different garage/shop you will safe a lot of money[emoji847]

Cheers 101

700 is way too much i paid ~425 for front rotors/pads at the dealer recently..29k ouch sf hills i guess...i got my rears covered via sticky caliper issue @36k..fronts went just shy of 70

@ under 30K miles ... why would the car need new pads and rotors ???

Pads ...
maybe if heavy breaking in stop and go traffic ...
but rotors too ???

Street race the CX-5 / track day ? ? ?

(dunno)

Last edited:
Hello All,

I was quoted for front AND rear, $800ish including new rotors, pads, labor, fluids, misc.

A new EBC kit (4 new rotors, new pads front/rear) could be had for or 2013 CX-5 for $220. http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/ebc-brake-kits I had installed these myself for my Mazda6 @30k miles in the fronts. OEM Rears are nearly shot at 4mm. Even with rears not yet changed my car stops much better than with all OEM stuff.

A reputable mobile ASE mechanic whom would come to my house and install the brakes in my garage charges aprox. $90 for the front + $120 for the rears in labor = $210.

Anyone looking for a great reputable mobile mechanic in the Phoenix area check this guy: https://www.yelp.com/biz/anyplace-auto-repair-phoenix-3?osq=mobile+mechanic 96 Yelp reviews. Most are 5 star reviewed.

Last edited:
Hello All,

$700? Holy crap! Did they at least give you a kiss after that screwing? My condolences.

I think you got ripped off friend. Under 30k miles, I don't see why they would need to be replaced yet.

I'm at 53k miles now. My last oil change, dealer told me my fronts were at 6mm, but my rears needed replacing at 3mm. I got quoted ~$340 for replacing pads, resurfacing rotors for rears, and doing a brake fluid flush.

I decided to get a second opinion. How are my fronts still in the green, but my rears are red on the inspection sheet? (scratch) Besides I think I can find it cheaper.

My dealer quoted me $330 for rear pads and rotors on my '14. Seriously, you need to go back and ask him if they were gold plated....

Back