Love Hate Relationship in less than one Week

PhilRich

:
Mazda 2017 CX-5
I bought a cx-5 Touring last Friday.
Love: handling, firm suspension and driving quality - the reason I chose this over other brands

Hate: Road noise - most of the roads here have the chip & seal surface, probably the noisiest roads possible. The short test drive wasn't enough for a good evaluation. Maybe my expectations are a bit high. The reviews emphazied the improved sound suppression. Wind noise is surpressed, tire noise is quite significant in my opinion.

Hate: Audio. The front pillar tweeters really bother me. I wear hearing aids. Adjustments with the equalizer have not been satisfactory, ie, reducing the treble down as far as possible. The sound in my Tundra is quite satisfactory to my hearing.

Question: Does the GT version have better sound suppression?

At this point I'd hate to buy different tires which might not help that much, or trade up to a GT. Or ...???

I bought a cx-5 Touring last Friday.
Love: handling, firm suspension and driving quality - the reason I chose this over other brands

Hate: Road noise - most of the roads here have the chip & seal surface, probably the noisiest roads possible. The short test drive wasn't enough for a good evaluation. Maybe my expectations are a bit high. The reviews emphazied the improved sound suppression. Wind noise is surpressed, tire noise is quite significant in my opinion.

Hate: Audio. The front pillar tweeters really bother me. I wear hearing aids. Adjustments with the equalizer have not been satisfactory, ie, reducing the treble down as far as possible. The sound in my Tundra is quite satisfactory to my hearing.

At this point I'd hate to buy different tires which might not help that much, or trade up to a GT. Or ...???

What is your tire pressure?

I bought a cx-5 Touring last Friday....

AFAIK there is no difference in sound suppression between any of the models in the CX-5 range.

From all the reviews be it here (owners) or on websites, they have all said road noise across the board has been greatly reduced.

Maybe some other owners here would like to provide their comments especially over chip & seal surfaces (scratch)

Having grown up in a family of hearing impaired, I know a little about the shortcomings of hearing aid technology. If the A-pillar tweeters are driving you crazy, maybe the same thing is happening with the noise frequency created by the tires on the chip and seal pavement in your area. I don't know the answer to your dilemma, but if you want to get an idea of the lengths Mazda went to quiet down the second generation CX-5, take a look underneath at all the sound deadening under-body aero-cladding they used. All that was made of hard black plastic on the first gen cars!

The noise issue maybe related to the tyres be it size/brand. On the Touring they are 17s..

The GT has 19s and pretty much all the reviews have been with the GT....

I haven't checked tire pressure but would assume it would be correct. The car has the Yokohama tires.

I may have to adjust my expectations. Actually the car is very quiet where the roads are just asphalt. But then ...

I haven't checked tire pressure but would assume it would be correct. The car has the Yokohama tires.

I may have to adjust my expectations. Actually the car is very quiet where the roads are just asphalt. But then ...

Why would you assume that?

Check it, it still might be at the shipping pressure, and never got adjusted to driving pressure. It is very common for the dealer not to adjust them before selling to the customer.

The biggest bug bear with Mazda's in terms of road noise was from non asphalt surfaces.

With the CX-9 and now CX-5, they have tried really hard to fix this issue.

Phil relax. Its just a 27 thousand dollars car. Its not a Bentley.

So long as this CX-5 is quieter overall than my current Mazda 6 and from the test drive I had a couple of months ago it seems to be, I don't think I'll have any issues

Definitely check/correct or maybe try lowering tire pressure to say 2 below spec..id bet they're at least a cpl above right now if not 10. As for stereo easiest solution I didn't see would be to try fading the sound rearward..my ears are fine and mine is set like 4 or 5 clicks back. If that doesn't work maybe try covering them with something or you or maybe dlr would help disconnecting..

AFAIK there is no difference in sound suppression between any of the models in the CX-5 range.

From all the reviews be it here (owners) or on websites, they have all said road noise across the board has been greatly reduced.

Maybe some other owners here would like to provide their comments especially over chip & seal surfaces (scratch)

I googled chip seal as I had never heard of it. But I have noticed rural asphalt in Maine can be a bit more granular than highway asphalt. The article mentioned heavy use in Australia and New Zealand.

To the OP. I agree. Check your tire pressure first and foremost. Then adjust your stereo settings to a more rearward set up. Good luck.

I googled chip seal as I had never heard of it. But I have noticed rural asphalt in Maine can be a bit more granular than highway asphalt. The article mentioned heavy use in Australia and New Zealand.

To the OP. I agree. Check your tire pressure first and foremost. Then adjust your stereo settings to a more rearward set up. Good luck.

Indeed. We do have quite a bit of concrete on some of our highways as well as different asphalt

I would have thought that the 17” tires are quite than the 19s on the GT and I would definitely not “assume” they are correct. The stock tires are of the newer “low rolling resistance” eco variety and you might find the likes of some Michelin much quieter. As for the tweeters, get somebody to pop the A pillar trims off and disconnect them.

I would have thought that the 17” tires are quite than the 19s on the GT and I would definitely not “assume” they are correct. The stock tires are of the newer “low rolling resistance” eco variety and you might find the likes of some Michelin much quieter. As for the tweeters, get somebody to pop the A pillar trims off and disconnect them.

Over here, some of the reviewers do say the 17" should be quieter

It's like the 3rd quietest cabin in its class. Who has that graphic handy? Nothing else in this price range comes near it for quiet.

Back