Mazda's engine breakthrough promises big fuel efficiency gains

Ziggity

:
2013 CX-5 Sport
https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/08/mazdas-engine-breakthrough-promises-big-fuel-efficiency-gains

"Mazda has made the announcement car manufacturers have been working towards for years: it's releasing the first commercial compression-ignition gasoline engine. Dubbed SkyActiv-X, the engine will be available in 2019 and promises up to 20-30% more engine efficiency than the current SkyActiv-G, and up to 45% more than Mazda's 2008 petrol engine.

Current gasoline engines rely on a spark plug to ignite their air-fuel mix. The SkyActiv-X will ignite the air-fuel mix spark-free through compression, like a diesel engine. This, according to the Japanese manufacturer, combines the advantages of petrol and diesel engines to achieve "outstanding" environmental and power performance.

The announcement comes just days after the company laid out its billion-dollar plans to build electric vehicles with Toyota. Speaking to reporters, Mazda's head of R&D Kiyoshi Fujiwara said that while "electrification is necessary ... the internal combustion engine should come first". Electrification and emissions minimization is a major focus of Mazda's Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030 plan, and technically SkyActive-X falls into this remit, given its advances in efficiency. But it's still a technology reliant on natural resources. Mazda's electric vehicles and its SkyActiv-X engine take sustainability in very different directions, so it will be interesting to see if, and how, these roads eventually converge.

I'll believe it when I see it, but regardless of that, it sounds like innovation is happening, and I'm a huge fan!

Pretty neat! Now this is the kinda innovation I am talking about. (yippy)

More complete article: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mazda-strategy-idUSKBN1AO0E7

Mazda's engine employs spark plugs under certain conditions, such as at low temperatures, to overcome technical hurdles that have hampered commercialization of the technology.

The engine is called SKYACTIV-X and Mazda had no plans to supply the engine to other carmakers, Marumoto said.

Mazda also said it would introduce electric vehicles and electric technology in its cars from 2019, focusing on markets that restrict the sale of certain vehicles to limit air pollution or that provide clean sources of electricity.

In addition, it said it aimed to make autonomous-driving technology standard in all of its models by 2025.

While proof is in the pudding, these are bold claims to make!

I was talking to a friend who works for Mazda who was shown a mazda 6 thats going to pretty much be the new mazda speed 6. Basically the new motor, but not speed moniker.

I was talking to a friend who works for Mazda who was shown a mazda 6 thats going to pretty much be the new mazda speed 6. Basically the new motor, but not speed moniker.

How would that make it a speed 6? The engine will eventually be common to all Mazdas.

So, are you saying this will just be the new 6?

Very cool. Have to wonder what this means for their diesel motor though. If it can provide comparable power/torque/efficiency to a diesel without the particulates or NOx/DEF issues and costs and for a more readily available fuel...

Very cool. Have to wonder what this means for their diesel motor though. If it can provide comparable power/torque/efficiency to a diesel without the particulates or NOx/DEF issues and costs and for a more readily available fuel...

True. But if the diesel is due out this year, and this HCCI engine is years away, then maybe not an issue.

True. But if the diesel is due out this year, and this HCCI engine is years away, then maybe not an issue.

Yeah, the diesel just would appear to be short lived, here in North America anyway, is all.

Works out nicely with my plans to lease a diesel for 4 years next spring/summer actually.

Back