Update on 2014 mirror and hood vibrations

:
2014.5 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L
Our 2014 has had the driver mirror and bad hood vibration from day one. The dealer never wanted to do anything, so when my 3 yr warranty was getting close, I demanded some action. Good thing was the original service manager , who was an idiot, finally was let go and the new guy is trying to fix all the past problems (I'm not the only one). Funny thing is there is a TSB for all these issues.

Hood......would bounce with every tiny bump in the road. They did the epoxy fix with the hood panels and changed out the cowling. The hood is now solid and doesn't move one bit.

Mirror...........they changed out both and I now have the new style with the signal light. Yes, even with the 3M protection that I had on the originals. Again fixed the problem.

So there are fixes for these issues and pretty simple to complete. Too bad it was such a headache to get them to do it. Took 3 years but at least it's done now.

I'm out of warranty and it is still shaking. They did something to it, it got slightly better, but is still shaking. I'm wondering, what could be the problem with the mirror? I always thought, that the door mount for the mirror(missing bracket, or something like that) has some issue, not the actual mirror.
On the passenger side, it is solid.

There were actually two TSBs for the hood, the second one had an improved glue. I took the underliner out from underneath the hood when I brought my 2014 car in to show the broken glue spots just so there couldn't be an argument the first time around.

I'm out of warranty and it is still shaking. They did something to it, it got slightly better, but is still shaking. I'm wondering, what could be the problem with the mirror? I always thought, that the door mount for the mirror(missing bracket, or something like that) has some issue, not the actual mirror.
On the passenger side, it is solid.

It bugged the hell out of me. The passenger mirror doesn't vibrate. What the hell is the difference between the two? Even those that had the extra bracket installed have said it didn't entirely stop all shaking.

That's why I was shocked to see 2017 owners mentioning it.

Yup, it never bothered me initially but when it did and I wanted them to fix it and even brought in the TSB they said I was out of warranty and it would be almost $1000 to fix the mirror.

As soon as you said mirror - my thoughts went to vanity mirror. It shakes a bit - like some poster said sounds like Hamsters making out.
jejejejeje.

Mirror fix is bogus, had it done and it only lasted for 3 months and returned. Living with it, until I purchase my next SUV / SAV. Sons 2015 Mazda 3 is bullet proof with no shake or rattles.

Yup, it never bothered me initially but when it did and I wanted them to fix it and even brought in the TSB they said I was out of warranty and it would be almost $1000 to fix the mirror.

You can buy the entire OEM housing on line for about $200 dollars and swap the glass. My wife took out the passenger side one a few months ago and I replaced it to include matching painted caps. Simple to change out, hardest part was snapping in the old mirror glass.

2015, leaking oil and vibrating mirror and hood. Don't care. Normal.

Yes, normal for the CX5. I have these and many other issues, so I don't care either as I will be trading soon for something that isn't built so cheaply, rattling, and falling apart. I looked at the new 2017 and the dash trim is not even clipped together properly which has already been discussed.

Yes, normal for the CX5. I have these and many other issues, so I don't care either as I will be trading soon for something that isn't built so cheaply, rattling, and falling apart. I looked at the new 2017 and the dash trim is not even clipped together properly which has already been discussed.

Well, I used to be of your mindset, but let me tell you of a little evolution of mine, personally.

I used to work for an auto dealer, and I took vehicles in on trade, sold them, etc. etc. etc. I was in sales, but I wasn't some snot that looked down on the porters and mechanics just because they didn't wear a tie to work and got their hands dirty. I hung out with them back in the shop when the lot was dead and I had no appointments. I asked questions. I looked under cars on the lift. So on and so forth. Ultimately, it was a RARE VEHICLE that didn't have "something loose or leaking" that we got in on trade, or that went back to service. In fact, I am willing to bet if you gave me a light and a mirror, I could probably find "something wrong" with damn near everyone on this forum's vehicle.

I would also note that none of these leaks or rattles were ever fatal. I saw a few fatalities...oil was not changed in 32k miles, pan ran dry. Truck (chipped Lightning) was abused to hell and back, spun a main bearing. F250 6.0TD...broke because it sucked, all the time.

So really, ask yourself this...does the mirror shaking "matter"? Does a bit of capillary action oil leak "matter"? Or do you think the car will still make it to 300k in spite of this, or if it doesn't, this will not be the reason why...

I asked myself, and let's be honest, if you're in a CX5 "to make a statement" or "because luxury and quality and bank-vault solidity" are "important to you", well you screwed up. If you're in it because it's cheap and does the job (transportation) well and reliably...why incur extra expense to get out of it due to issues that won't deadline it or cost you a dime?

My drivers side mirror definitely shakes, but when I am driving it hasn't bothered me too much.

My hood shakes too. I should have taken it in to get both fixed while I was in warranty, but I was too lazy and didn't do it. Which I guess means it didn't bother me too much.

Guess there's no point in doing so now. Are the fixes stuff we can just do ourselves?

I don't even know, if my hood shakes, I'm laid down and I'm not able to see it anyway.
Mirrors don't bother me much, because I make them vibrate, way more with my sub. (burnout)

I asked myself, and let's be honest, if you're in a CX5 "to make a statement" or "because luxury and quality and bank-vault solidity" are "important to you", well you screwed up. If you're in it because it's cheap and does the job (transportation) well and reliably...why incur extra expense to get out of it due to issues that won't deadline it or cost you a dime?
I respect your point, but my experience with this car has already cost me over $1500 dollars in out of warranty issues. I only have 58k and it's falling apart. There is no way I will make 100,000 miles without sinking thousands more into this car. Now the transmission is slipping and the exhaust is rusting out. I made a huge mistake paying over 30k for a vehicle that is put together like a yugo. Cost cutting is so evident it's comical. You are correct people typically trade in cars with many problems and I pity the fool that buys mine! Maybe I got a bad one, but it only takes one to make a lasting impression. I wish you good fortune with yours.

I respect your point, but my experience with this car has already cost me over $1500 dollars in out of warranty issues. I only have 58k and it's falling apart. There is no way I will make 100,000 miles without sinking thousands more into this car. Now the transmission is slipping and the exhaust is rusting out. I made a huge mistake paying over 30k for a vehicle that is put together like a yugo. Cost cutting is so evident it's comical. You are correct people typically trade in cars with many problems and I pity the fool that buys mine! Maybe I got a bad one, but it only takes one to make a lasting impression. I wish you good fortune with yours.

I have the exact same car, 2014 GT AWD in liquid silver. I have close to 90K with no problems. CR rates that year as very reliable.

^^me3 just turned 70k last night- mirror (still after it was replaced..bit better but) and hood shake- the former pretty dang annoying but lived with as I said to myself the other day chucking it around some fairly tight corners... this thing hangs w/my bimmer and actually feels better while doing it-meaning w/some real tires and more power it would be the better car to drive hands down. I do actually like that the chassis of the Mazda overdrives (if you will) the powertrain..bimmer is the basically the opposite- still good, still fun but in a different way.

Last edited:

It sounds like an extended warranty would have paid for itself. I'd trade it in as well, but you're way upside down unless you put a LOT down or did 36mo.

It sounds like an extended warranty would have paid for itself. I'd trade it in as well, but you're way upside down unless you put a LOT down or did 36mo.

It's a 2014 that came out in April 2013, took a five year loan, but paid it off in four. Since it's a loaded GT should be able to get at least 15k towards something else tbd.

Back