'17 CX-5: Charging phones via USB outlets in the center console?

justdeb__

:
2017 CX-5
I was following and replying to a thread on the CX-5 Audio forum, but that place is dead so I'll ask here.

Anyone able to charge their phones with a USB cable via the 2 USB ports in the center console? I know the manual says it's USB audio, but just curious because I saw conflicting reports from people, mainly with older model CX-5. I wasn't able to get any juice out of those outlets. Bummer (sad2)

I have a 2017. My phone displays the charging icon when plugged in. I haven't tracked battery gain or anything so I can't be sure it's charging at a reasonable rate.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Could possibly be the most common question on this site. LOL

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...16-Mazda-CX-5-USB-phone-charging-Does-it-work

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850522-2016-CX-5-Can-t-Charge-A-Phone

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123826045-Cell-Phone-USB-Port

And no, nothing in this regard has changed in 17. The USB ports are not intended to charge phones. They do put out a little voltage so some phones may get a little trickle charge, but generally not. My phone just drains slower when plugged in there.

Not sure how much power they put out but on my 20 minute drive to work I get about a 7-8% charge from it. This has been the same as my 2014 Mazda3.

What phone, Lowin?
The USB ports are for plugging in Audio Devices. The Cigarette lighter is for charging. A lot of car companies do exactly the same. Like my 2013 Volvo. Cars with Apple Car Play and Android Auto have stronger ports.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oh, and Aux in ports were the new tech in 2005...not USB. LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I was following and replying to a thread on the CX-5 Audio forum, but that place is dead so I'll ask here.

Anyone able to charge their phones with a USB cable via the 2 USB ports in the center console? I know the manual says it's USB audio, but just curious because I saw conflicting reports from people, mainly with older model CX-5. I wasn't able to get any juice out of those outlets. Bummer (sad2)

You can use the usb ports to charge but they are their power output is low. The rear ports in the arm rest are 2.1A therefore allow much quicker charging.

If you so desire, just run a chord from the rear ones to your phone for faster charging.

You might be right. I guess I'll have to stick with my cigarette lighter adapter. I guess Mazda hasn't quite caught up with 2005 technology in certain aspects, but I digress.....

They follow the USB 2.0 spec which sets 1.0 amps. Not sure about other car makers, but if they're using USB 2 it's quite likely many will have the same issue. Modern phones generally won't charge and power GPS / Screen with only 1 amp available to them. Car makers like things built to spec.

If they switch to USB 3 in the next iteration the spec allows more power to flow through the port.

They follow the USB 2.0 spec which sets 1.0 amps. Not sure about other car makers, but if they're using USB 2 it's quite likely many will have the same issue. Modern phones generally won't charge and power GPS / Screen with only 1 amp available to them. Car makers like things built to spec.

If they switch to USB 3 in the next iteration the spec allows more power to flow through the port.

Fronts are 1.0 amps and been that way for a while in Mazda's

It will normally charge mine, but only when its in Standby. If I turn the screen on to use something like google maps, it just seems to keep the charge at the current level (neither draining nor charging the phone).

I think it depends on when the hardware design was frozen. Mazda's infotainment started to appear in 2014 I think? Hardware was probably frozen awhile before then. USB 2 was very common and USB 2 specifies 1 amp of power - although many ignore it and supply more. Car makers tend to be very conservative about these things...

My iPhone 6 Plus charges fine (battery charge goes up!) from my '17's USB1 in the centre console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends on when the hardware design was frozen. Mazda's infotainment started to appear in 2014 I think? Hardware was probably frozen awhile before then. USB 2 was very common and USB 2 specifies 1 amp of power - although many ignore it and supply more. Car makers tend to be very conservative about these things...

Correct. The Mazda 3 was the first to get it

USB V2.0 doesn't specify a fixed 1.0A of current for charging. It has its standard depending on the USB port designed as the charging downstream port (CDP), which has data signals, and the dedicated charging port (DCP) and has been modified as the time goes by. I believe the rear USB ports in 2017 CX-5 are DCP with 2.1A charging current but can't connect data to the infortainment system.

Mazda offers 1.0A USB charging current at front which sometimes is not enough for some new devices. But instead of using newer USB V2.0 chips which offer more charging current at 1.5A found on many competitors, Mazda chose to re-use the same 1.0A front USB module from previous gen in 2017 CX-5. Money saving is the reason.

2017-honda-cr-v-interior-front-usb-ports.jpg

I've read elsewhere owners changing front usbs to 2.1A which allows faster charging. They aren't to concerned with connectivity use of the ports

I've read elsewhere owners changing front usbs to 2.1A which allows faster charging. They aren't to concerned with connectivity use of the ports
There's limitation on physical USB cable used for both data and charging. That's why you don't see CDP USB port offers more than 2.0A charging current from reputable manufactures for USB V2.0 standard.

Last edited:
There's limition on physical USB cable used for both data and charging. That's why you don't see CDP USB port offers more than 2.0A charging current from reputable manufactures for USB V2.0 standard.

That is fine. Besides it would drop down and run at 2.0A anyways

Back