Auto Wipers/Auto Lights

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
So according to the manual, when the auto wipers are on for several seconds, and the headlight switch is set to auto, the headlights will turn on. I have noticed this works, but the lights stay on for a few minutes then turn off only to turn back on after a few minutes again and the wipers are at a constant speed, I'm sure people think I'm nuts as my tail lights keep going on then off. I'm noticing this from the headlight indicator on the instrument cluster, anyone else noticing this behavior?

From the manual: "If the headlight switch and the windshield wiper switch are in auto, and the wipers are operated at low or high speed by the auto wiper control for several seconds, bad weather conditions are determined and the headlights may be turned on."

Your tail lights are on, not the brake lights. Nobody should care. It's if they caused a collision and sue you for not having the lights on in inclement weather, that should matter. It's all good, keep rolling!

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

Your tail lights are on, not the brake lights. Nobody should care. It's if they caused a collision and sue you for not having the lights on in inclement weather, that should matter. It's all good, keep rolling!

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

I’m not afraid of an accident, just annoying that the feature is not working as intended, as the lights is just going on and off constantly when it should stay on as the wipers are on.

So according to the manual, when the auto wipers are on for several seconds, and the headlight switch is set to auto, the headlights will turn on. I have noticed this works, but the lights stay on for a few minutes then turn off only to turn back on after a few minutes again and the wipers are at a constant speed, I'm sure people think I'm nuts as my tail lights keep going on then off. I'm noticing this from the headlight indicator on the instrument cluster, anyone else noticing this behavior?

From the manual: "If the headlight switch and the windshield wiper switch are in auto, and the wipers are operated at low or high speed by the auto wiper control for several seconds, bad weather conditions are determined and the headlights may be turned on."

This must be a USA thing only. From what I have seen here, this doesn't happen that much

I don't see my headlights turn on at all when wipers turn on. I did turn off my DRL's but that shouldn't affect the headlights.

Truth be told I didn't even know the headlights were tied to the wipers at all. They aren't in my 3, assumed the CX-5 was the same. Had it in my Volvo and since then I thought every car with auto headlights should have it.

I’m not afraid of an accident, just annoying that the feature is not working as intended, as the lights is just going on and off constantly when it should stay on as the wipers are on.
's
I forget where the setting is, but you can adjust the sensitivity of the lights so they go on more readily, I adjusted mine and the lights do not go on and off as often. I wasn't aware they were tied in with the wipers at all, the two have seemed independent to me.

I think ChrisI is right. Lower or raise the sensitivity.

I’ll give it a try and see what happens next rain date by reducing light sensitivity. I currently have my sensitivity at medium.low but it does not seem that this feature should care about how bright it is, just that the wipers have been on for several seconds.

So tried lowest light sensitivity and today it was rainy but pretty bright out. Auto headlights would turn on and off every few minutes and at one point I noticed my drl’s were off. So this tells me there is a bug in the software, but how does this get reported back to mazda? Through the dealer?

So tried lowest light sensitivity and today it was rainy but pretty bright out. Auto headlights would turn on and off every few minutes and at one point I noticed my drl’s were off. So this tells me there is a bug in the software, but how does this get reported back to mazda? Through the dealer?

You need to go via the dealer first preferably being able to show it in action or via a clip. Then if that doesn't work, go to Mazda North America

In some states, like here in Florida, it is mandatory that the headlights are on when using the w/wipers. Its a nice convenience to have the headlights go on automatically.

Think I figured out what the system is doing, not sure who thought it was a good idea...

So with wipers and headlights both set to 'auto', and wipers is on for several seconds, when at a constant speed the headlights turn on (this includes tail lights and fog lights if selector is on). When the vehicle comes to a stop or moving in stop and go type of traffic (seems to be under a certain speed, the headlights turn off and if at a complete stop for a few seconds the DRL's go off and do not come back on until you start to move. The entire process starts up again about 20 seconds when you pick up speed speed, the headlights come on and stay on as long as you are moving until you slow down or stop.

Yeah I noticed too that the headlights turn off on me when stopped if it's still somewhat bright and takes a while for it to turn on when moving. I have my DRL's off so it's pretty noticeable.

Think I figured out what the system is doing, not sure who thought it was a good idea...

So with wipers and headlights both set to 'auto', and wipers is on for several seconds, when at a constant speed the headlights turn on (this includes tail lights and fog lights if selector is on). When the vehicle comes to a stop or moving in stop and go type of traffic (seems to be under a certain speed, the headlights turn off and if at a complete stop for a few seconds the DRL's go off and do not come back on until you start to move. The entire process starts up again about 20 seconds when you pick up speed speed, the headlights come on and stay on as long as you are moving until you slow down or stop.

Sound idiotic to me (what Mazda have done). Fancy constantly turning lights on and off in due to auto settings of both lights and wipers (gah)

Back