New 2017 CX-5 Touring hood is hot

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Just purchased a 2017 CX-5 Touring, AWD. Had 14 miles at time of purchase, and 15 miles later when I get home, the front left fender and hood are too hot touch. I had to use a towel to touch the hood support rod. And, of course, the dealer closed 10 minutes before I got home.

I hadn't noticed overheating issues for anyone else, but would like to hear if anyone else had the same issue.

***EDIT*** The word "overheating" is incorrect. It gets hot after turning off the car. Took a drive this morning and noticed that everything seems normal while the car is running. Temp gauges are fine, oil and other fluids fine. The heat comes after the car has been turned off for several minutes. Vastly different behavior compared to any other car I've had. I still think it's a bit peculiar hot the car gets after turning it off, even after a relatively short and modest drive. It heated up my garage by several degrees.

Last edited:
Just purchased a 2017 CX-5 Touring, AWD. Had 14 miles at time of purchase, and 15 miles later when I get home, the front left fender and hood are too hot touch. I had to use a towel to touch the hood support rod. And, of course, the dealer closed 10 minutes before I got home.

I hadn't noticed overheating issues for anyone else, but would like to hear if anyone else had the same issue.

Front fender and hood too hot to touch... what was you engine temp reading? Was there steam/overflow coming from the cooling system? Is that the side the battery's on? If you didn't get engine temp reading or evidence of hot coolant I'd say maybe it's electrical. It's unusual for overheating to manifest as a hot fender. Especially after only 15 miles.

Ive noticed our GT front fenders get very hot, hotter than any other car Ive owned. I was thinking it could be the DRL assembly? But no issues at all engine temp wise, now at 2500 mi, I am not concerned.

Unless you have the overheat indicator flashing on your dash, you are fine.
Any chance you are just being a little hyper sensitive paranoid about your brand new car? (I know I have been there before)

I didn't get the temperature readings. No steam or smoke, just a bad stench of something burning. No indicators either. I plan to call the dealer in the morning. The vehicle was really, really hot. Two hours later and is still quite warm.

I will also say the engine oils/"new" smell was stronger on our CX5 than most other cars Ive owned. A couple days and it was gone though. Normal.

It does annoy me when somebody titles a post in this way only to report that they are incompetent in their knowledge of cars. Why not ask if it is normal or do what most people normal would do when a 25-30k investment plays up and phone the dealer. Instead we get a melodramatic drama queens inane Internet post.

I wonder how many new 2017 CX-5s have had "issues" with the owner? Is it just the odd incompetant or is limited to trolls?

I didn't get the temperature readings. No steam or smoke, just a bad stench of something burning. No indicators either. I plan to call the dealer in the morning. The vehicle was really, really hot. Two hours later and is still quite warm.
Did you check the coolant level when you lifted the hood? Did you see coolant in the tank?

How long was the car sitting out in the sun, if at all?

New 2017 CX-5 Touring is Overheating

Not sure if 2017 Touring can switch to coolant temperature mode on instrument cluster. If you can, this's an easy way to check your coolant temperature.

attachment.php

IMG_9932.PNG

Last edited:
I agree, the initial post was lacking as the day was too long and needed some food and sleep. Should have waited and re-titled the post as "hot" rather than overheating, my bad. Never thought of myself as a drama queen... amusing. At any rate, took a drive this morning and noticed that everything seems normal while the car is running. Temp gauges are fine, oil and other fluids fine. The heat comes after the car has been turned off for several minutes. Vastly different behavior compared to any other car I've had. I still think it's a bit peculiar hot the car gets after turning it off, even after a relatively short and modest drive. It heated up my garage by several degrees.

I agree, the initial post was lacking as the day was too long and needed some food and sleep. Should have waited and re-titled the post as "hot" rather than overheating, my bad. Never thought of myself as a drama queen... amusing. At any rate, took a drive this morning and noticed that everything seems normal while the car is running. Temp gauges are fine, oil and other fluids fine. The heat comes after the car has been turned off for several minutes. Vastly different behavior compared to any other car I've had. I still think it's a bit peculiar hot the car gets after turning it off, even after a relatively short and modest drive. It heated up my garage by several degrees.

Apologies for my emotive comments, my patience is getting worse as I get older and I guess I’m quite old.

Double00, it's not overheating your just driving to fast and the air friction is getting it too hot, just like the shuttle during reentry, ease up on the gas pedal, my gosh you hit mach 1 with in 14 miles.. Gees...

(drive2) :p

This is normal engine burnoff on new cars, especially noticeable when stopping. My dealer told me this occurs for the 1st 1000 miles or so. Keep the air venting on recycle to keep the smell out from the cabin.

Ok . . . I know this is an old post but I have a 21 CX5 Turbo and both front fenders get very hot. If they aren't hot when I stop the car they will get very hot when it's idling.
The temp gauge looks ok and the fluid levels are fine.
This is not a one time occurance. It happens all the time and the Dealer says this is normal.
This can't be 'normal' as it gets 'VERY' hot.
I can't find an answer to this issue in the forum.

What does “VERY hot” actually mean? Have you measured the temperature? What is the ambient temperature when the fenders get hot?

OK, both of you, IT'S AUGUST!! It's HOT out! The high will be 98F in my town in 2 days. The engine is very new and TIGHT. It also makes more heat from friction when it's tight. That's why you need to be gentle with a very new engine. That very new engine undoubtedly has left over oils and preservatives that are evaporating as it heats up.

It's NORMAL!

Check the oil, check the coolant, like you are supposed to every day or 2 and call the dealer if a light comes on.

The car is Snowflake White and has 36,000 km on it.
It is not the sun and the engine is not tight.
I know that black cars get hot and new engines smell.
I was hoping that this had happened to somebody else and they had found a solution.
It is not normal and I will certainly let everybody know if and when I find out what the problem is.
I do appreciate the input and thank you for your time.

Back