2017 CX-5 GT Pro's and Problems vs 2014

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2017
Hi All,
2014 CX-5 GT w/tech vs 2017 GT w/Tech. So far 2017 fantastic improvement (200 miles).

2017 --
Love:
  1. Heads up display rocks.
  2. So much quieter.
  3. Sports mode.
  4. Power seats both sides/Driver side memory.
  5. Lane assist / DRSS / SBS / (SCBS F/R) / FOW(Used this one).
  6. MZD connect / center console control
  7. MZD remembers last song played USB / iPhone.
  8. Ride is smoother but still sporty.
  9. Driver seat seems more comfortable.
  10. Small Recline back seats not that I use them.
  11. Actually use the parking break now.

On the Fence:
  1. 2017 Stereo better quality regularly max out vol. / Needs more dB's
  2. Finish more "luxurious" picks up more finger prints & smudges.
  3. Cargo w/seats up / middle console compartment seem smaller.
  4. Prefer exterior design of 2014.
  5. Prefer LCD screen in dash (2014) vs stick up out of top of dash.

Really Nit Picking:
  1. Not a huge fan of the shape of the AC vents. Turn signal looking shape.
  2. Faux strips of plastic across dash looks like its suppose to jazz things up. Would have rather just had leather or standard dash material.

Cons:
Already have a rattle. Seems to be in passenger window from drivers seat. Passenger says sounds like its in the dash. O well back to the dealership. (Solved... Glasses in the eye glass holder under the rear view mirror DOH!!!)

2017 XM radio on HWY has static. Rarely makes it through entire song without static coming through. Do not get acquiring signal message just static. Works fine around town. The 100 mile stretch of road I am getting the static on was not an issue with 2014 CX-5 SiriusXM. Will bring it up with dealer but have a pretty good idea what the response will be.

This is not the fault of the product but the dealership was terrible. Bought the 2017 from same dealer as 2014 and the service has really gone to S**t. Inital cost estimate was $6,000 too high until I showed the salesperson how to subtract.

Other than the first two con's Im absolutely PSYCH'ed about this vehicle.

Last edited:
Hi All,
2014 CX-5 GT w/tech vs 2017 GT w/Tech. So far 2017 fantastic improvement (200 miles).

On the Fence:

Finish more "luxurious" picks up more finger prints & smudges.

I assume you are referring to around the centre console (gear stick). That is to be expected with the shiny finish

Cargo w/seats up / middle console compartment seem smaller.

If you're referring to the back seat area, from what I have read that whole area is now slightly larger than before

Thanks for your commentary by the way. Informative :D

If you're referring to the back seat area, from what I have read that whole area is now slightly larger than before

Actually I like the pull down armrest in the back. It comes with 2 fast charge USB ports. I was referring to the storage console beside the driver seat.

The whole back area with the seats down may well be larger however with the seats up the storage area in the very back for say groceries appears smaller.

Thanks

5. Lane assist / DRSS / SBS / (SCBS F/R) / FOW(Used this one).
Not sure if we have DRSS (Distance Recognition Support System) and FOW (Forward Obstruction Warning) in 2017 US version CX-5 GT with Premium Package. DRSS could be part of MRCC (Mazda Radar Cruise Control).

But we definitely don't get Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) for both Front and Rear. We have Front only SCBS.

Not sure if we have DRSS (Distance Recognition Support System) and FOW (Forward Obstruction Warning) in 2017 US version CX-5 GT with Premium Package. DRSS could be part of MRCC (Mazda Radar Cruise Control).

Hi, Without the MRCC engaged I got very close to a car that was slowing down to make a turn. I am only assuming I was going faster than 19 mph so it wasnt SCBS. Was presented with a large red square "BRAKE" on the dash and audible alert. Just assumed it was FOW.

US Def has DRSS for MRCC on tech package. Have used it makes driving on interstate a dream.

Thanks

Last edited:

Actually I like the pull down armrest in the back. It comes with 2 fast charge USB ports. I was referring to the storage console beside the driver seat.

The whole back area with the seats down may well be larger however with the seats up the storage area in the very back for say groceries appears smaller.
Actually I believe the location of rear USB ports on 2017 CX-5 is poorly designed. You basically have to sacrifice the rear middle seat to use them, and can't use them if you put the child seat in the middle. The result is like you're doing to use the USB ports, keep the rear armrest down all the time. Those USB ports and rear seat heater switches should be located at the rear end of the front center console like everybody else.

And you're right the cargo area of 2017 CX-5 is about 10% smaller than 2016's either with rear seat back up or down. And the space of the rear seating area is about the same between the two.

Noticeable differences are 187 hp @ 6,000 rpm vs. 184 hp @ 5,700 rpm; and the maximum torque 185 lb-ft for 2017 CX-5 AWD is occurred at higher RPM than FWD.

MAZDA CX-5
SkyActiv-G 2.5L
Horsepower SAE (hp)187 @ 6,000 rpm184 @ 5,700 rpm
Torque SAE (lb-ft)185 @ 3,250 rpm - FWD
185 @ 4,000 rpm - AWD
185 @ 3,250 rpm
Gear Ratios AT :)1)3.552/2.022/1.452/1.000/0.708/0.5993.552/2.022/1.452/1.000/0.708/0.599
Reverse :)1)3.8933.893
Final Drive :)1)4.325 - FWD
4.624 - AWD
4.325 - FWD
4.624 - AWD
Wheelbase (in)106.2106.3
Overall L/W/H (in)179.1 / 72.5 / 66.1178.7 / 72.4 / 67.3
Track F/R (in)62.8 / 62.862.4 / 62.5
Turning Circle (ft)36.036.7
Ground Clearance (in)7.68.5
Towing Capacity (lb)2,0002,000
Total Curb Weight (lb)3,527 - FWD
3,655 - AWD
3,433 - FWD
3,589 - AWD
EPA-estimated MPG
(combined/city/hwy)
27 / 24 / 31 - FWD
26 / 23 / 29 - AWD
29 / 26 / 33 - FWD
26 / 24 / 30 - AWD
Headroom F/R (in)39.7 / 39.0
39.3 / 39.0 - w/Moonroof
40.1 / 39.0
39.0 / 39.0 - w/Moonroof
Legroom F/R (in)41.0 / 39.641.0 / 39.3
Shoulder Room F/R (in)57.1 / 54.857.5 / 55.5
Hip Room F/R (in)55.2 / 55.355.2 / 53.7
Cargo Volume (cu ft)30.9 - 2nd-row Seatback Up
59.6 - 2nd-row Seatback Down
34.1 - 2nd-row Seatback Up
65.4 - 2nd-row Seatback Down

AFAIK hasn't changed in size

Thanks

Over here VDA measurements have changed with the 2017 having larger cargo area:

2016 and earlier - 403L with seats up
2017 - 442L with seats up

Strange thing is though with seats down, 2016 and earlier has larger area:

2016 and earlier - 1560L
2017 - 1342L

Actually I believe the location of rear USB ports on 2017 CX-5 is poorly designed. You basically have to sacrifice the rear middle seat to use them, and can't use them if you put the child seat in the middle. The result is like you're doing to use the USB ports, keep the rear armrest down all the time. Those USB ports and rear seat heater switches should be located at the rear end of the front center console like everybody else.

Maybe you are right but at least it has them. AFAIK most competitors here don't even get them.

And you're right the cargo area of 2017 CX-5 is about 10% smaller than 2016's either with rear seat back up or down. And the space of the rear seating area is about the same between the two.

OTOH if you rarely/never have anyone in the center seat in the back, the center rest mounted position is far superior. You don't need such a long cord, it's much easier to plug\unplug them and they aren't draped across legs/feet where they can get tangled or yanked out inadvertently.

AFAIK hasn't changed in size
Over here VDA measurements have changed with the 2017 having larger cargo area:

2016 and earlier - 403L with seats up
2017 - 442L with seats up

Strange thing is though with seats down, 2016 and earlier has larger area:

2016 and earlier - 1560L
2017 - 1342L
One can easily tell your data are incorrect as there's no way the cargo volume with seat back down is 3~4 times larger than with seat back up!

One can easily tell your data are incorrect as there's no way the cargo volume with seat back down is 3~4 times larger than with seat back up!

You can tell Mazda Australia if you so wish. Here are the extracts from their brochures:

2016:

001.jpg

image.jpg

2017:

002.jpg

Last edited:
You can tell Mazda Australia if you so wish. Here are the extracts from their brochures:

2016:

001.jpg

image.jpg

2017:

002.jpg
The difference is "(6) Cargo room - measured with rear seats up and up to tonneau cover." and "(7) Cargo room - measured with rear seats folded down and up to roof." You guys have cargo cover standard, hence the different measurement from ours with rear seats up. Ours is measured with rear seats up and up to the roof. :)

And both measurements are 10% larger for 2016 CX-5 if you ignore the cargo cover.

Therefore we got more space

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

But we definitely don't get Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) for both Front and Rear. We have Front only SCBS.
Hi, Without the MRCC engaged I got very close to a car that was slowing down to make a turn. I am only assuming I was going faster than 19 mph so it wasnt SCBS. Was presented with a large red square "BRAKE" on the dash and audible alert. Just assumed it was FOW.

US Def has DRSS for MRCC on tech package. Have used it makes driving on interstate a dream.
Your auto-braking situation is Smart Brake Support (SBS) at work. But SBS, which uses the same radar device of MRCC, is working with DRSS that visually displays the distance to the vehicle ahead and FOW that warns the driver of a risk of collision with the car ahead by alarm and a warning light. So you may have all 3 functions working together but Mazda usually only mentions SBS as a feature in its sales material.

SBS primarily mentioned here as it is standard across the entire range where as the rest is only on the top spec AKERA

SBS primarily mentioned here as it is standard across the entire range where as the rest is only on the top spec AKERA
You got to have MRCC to have SBS so both features are on top-of-the-line Akera. I believe you meant SCBS function which is standard across the entire line of CX-5 in Australia?

You got to have MRCC to have SBS so both features are on top-of-the-line Akera. I believe you meant SCBS function which is standard across the entire line of CX-5 in Australia?

Correct, my bad. SCBS f/r

Correct, my bad. SCBS f/r
SCBS F/R. Always curious how does the SCBS Reverse work if you're towing something since we don't get SCBS Reverse here in the US.

Last edited:
Back