2013 CX-5 HID Headlight alignment

soak000

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring
Good Morning,

Picked up a 2013 CX-5 Touring with adaptive headlights yesterday. All-in-all vehicle is in very nice shape.

I didn't notice it during the day but on the drive back to my house when it got dark I noticed that the light from the left low beam (HID) ends slightly closer than the right low beam. Is that by design so that oncoming traffic is not blinded by HID lights? Now that I think of it my Lexus ES350 does the same thing too but its manual has instructions on how to level the lights.

The CX-5 is Mazda CPO so if this is an odd behavior I could take it to a dealer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Both lights should be aligned up-down & left/right so it has a single very sharp black line where the light cuts off. It's simple to adjust; it just takes a screwdriver and a tape measure. Procedure in the owner's manual.

No.... there's typically a step in higher performance headlights with the side approaching traffic being slightly lower.

OP what you're seeing, as long as it's not a MASSIVE difference. This is two-fold: to help avoid blinding approaching traffic on the driver's side and to help illuminate roadside signs further in the distance.

Searching HID cutoff will give you plenty of visuals.

Touring had adaptive headlights? in 2013?

From Autoblog review of 2013 CX-5:
CX-5 Touring ($23,895) upgrades the cloth upholstery and comes standard with the 5.8-inch color display with rearview camera, blind-spot monitoring system, six-way power driver's seat, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, 40/20/40-split fold-down rear seats, rear-seat armrest with cupholders, illuminated vanity mirrors, Bluetooth, HD radio, fog lights. CX-5 Touring AWD ($25,145) adds all-wheel drive. An optional Technology Package ($1185) includes TomTom-based navigation, rain-sensing windshield wipers, high-intensity discharge headlights with auto leveling, auto-off and AFS adaptive front-lighting system, auto-dim mirror with HomeLink, burglar alarm. Another package adds a moonroof and Bose Audio Surround Sound with nine speakers ($1130).

Back