Mazda CX5 Diesel having issues.

mash

:
2012 Mazda CX5 Touring Diesel
So I just purchased an Auto 2012 2.2ltr AWD Diesel CX5 Touring just under a month ago.
Second hand from Audi Alto in Pennant Hills.
Car has had one owner before me, it had all regular servicing done (have proof in log book) drove perfect when taken for numerous test drives before purchase, and has honestly been perfect until today.

I was in a supermarket carpark idling in a park for maybe 5 minutes (car was in park), took the hand brake off an put it into drive and when I went to take off the car lost heaps of power, made this loud, ungoldy clunking sound (I thought it sounding like crunching gears honestly or a mixed clunk/crunch sound), the the check engine light came on (orange-yellow colour), the TCS light came on (also orange-yellow) and the Tire Pressure Monitoring System light came on (no beeping, just the orange-yellow light).
I pulled over in the car park and waited a few moments and turned the car off, waited again and then turned it back on. Engine sounded normal, before and after noise, but when I went to take off, the car felt like it was struggling to accelerate, and didn't really want to go over 40kms. It also made this clunking/crunching noise another 4 more times on the way home (which is under a 5 minute drive at normal speed limit at 60kms). The noise sounds like it's coming from the middle or middle rear.

I know nothing about cars, so I have no idea what the problem could be.
I was hoping all the warning lights were just a computer malfunction, but this clunking/crunching noise sounds beyond disturbing.

I will be calling the dealership in the morning so they can come collect it on a tow truck, as I am too scared to turn it on let alone drive it as I don't want to damage it more if it is seriously damaged, and the dealership I purchased it from is in Pennant Hills, and I am about an hour to an hour and a half away depending on traffic.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen and if it's fixable or if the car is a write off?

I'm honestly devastated. I'm only 21 and this is my second car, (previous car was a 98 Mazda 626) and I worked really hard to be able to finally purchase a newer and (what I thought to be) a more reliable car.

Any advice or suggestions? :':)':)'(

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you have problems on a CX-5 diesel you just purchased. It seems your CX-5 got into the limp mode for some reason so that you couldn't drive too fast. Do you have any kind of warranty from the purchasing dealer? Since you're not familiar with cars or you should at least get a code reader to find out what kind of error codes been saved in car computer and start from there. Your dealer will do the same and give you their assessment based on the error codes they pulled.

Since you said the clunking/crunching noise sounded like it's coming from the middle or middle rear, I believe it's the drive shaft noise since you have an AWD. I remember their's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Mazda for some CX-5's about AWD drive shaft clunking noise and the revised casing and input shaft bearing were introduced to resolve the issue. Not much you can do here unless you still have Mazda factory warranty or you're willing to spend some big money to replace them. What is the mileage on your CX-5? If your mileage is still reasonably low may be you can try to contact Mazda Australia and seek some help from them on this since there's a TSB.

Just under 1mo ago?

Check with the dealer. Many dealers here in America have a 1 month good faith warranty, some written, some implied. It's a long shot, but why the hell not ask?

My local Chevrolet dealer when I was your age did a TON of work for free, and sold me parts at cost + 10% when I was in college and broke as a joke and had issues with my Trans AM. 5 years later, I bought a brand new Z06 corvette from them.

Dealerships understand this about young people. They won't be young and broke forever. Sometimes asking politely, being honest, and telling them what you've told us above is all it takes for a service manager to do everything they can to get you squared away, bend the rules, etc. if they have to. I mean, I feel bad reading your post. Because I know where you are, and have been there myself. I think everyone who wasn't born into a trust-fund or had rich parents or lucked into something has felt the way you do, and maybe it will resonate with the service manager, too. Again...might as well take your case to them. You have nothing to lose.

PS. I would not drive it further. It sounds like harm could result beyond what's already dead.

Last edited:
I hope for you it's not the cam shaft - but sounds like.
This effect then the turbo. I hope you got still warranty and Mazda has to change renew every part on their cost.

Cheers 101

I hope for you it's not the cam shaft - but sounds like.
This effect then the turbo. I hope you got still warranty and Mazda has to change renew every part on their cost.

Cheers 101

One day I hope my German is as good as your English.

Keep ups updated, OP!

Back