Safety Systems Disabled due to Adverse Conditions - 2017

nuclfusion

:
2004 Honda Civic Coupe and 2000 Toyota Celica GT
So this popped up while I had MRCC on coming into work today. Needless to say, it spooked me a bit so I took over control of the car the rest of the way in. Message seems to have gone away after turning the car off and letting it sit a few minutes at work, but it was still slightly unnerving. Has this happened to anyone else before?

Oh, and it was crystal clear on my drive in!
3e9aa307b82fc4dfc4e6dad9e44dcd52.jpg
64c484fe1dbb7ab32b87a32c0b07e2a4.jpg

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

If there is heavy rain / snow buildup on the sensors or the sun is in front of the car at just the right angle this can happen.

If MRCC is disabled cruise should still work in the traditional mode.

It should re-enable itself as soon as it determines it's ok again if it's rain or snow causing it, but if it's the sun angle in particular and you're mainly driving the same direction there's not much you can do until it rises/sets a bit or your car heads a different direction (i.e. North on a different highway instead of east in the AM).

The sun affects mine during my morning commute more than the rest a couple of times a year right around time change when the sun is coming up at just the right time while I'm heading east in the morning.

If there is heavy rain / snow buildup on the sensors or the sun is in front of the car at just the right angle this can happen.

If MRCC is disabled cruise should still work in the traditional mode.

It should re-enable itself as soon as it determines it's ok again if it's rain or snow causing it, but if it's the sun angle in particular and you're mainly driving the same direction there's not much you can do until it rises/sets a bit or your car heads a different direction (i.e. North on a different highway instead of east in the AM).

The sun affects mine during my morning commute more than the rest a couple of times a year right around time change when the sun is coming up at just the right time while I'm heading east in the morning.
So basically this is just the car saying it could not safely drive by itself because it could not see properly?

I'm thinking something is now broken...

Dont think it would, but could replacing all interior lights with LEDs cause this?

8dd3fc481555e51d48398d2265beb084.jpg

Last edited:
No, it's a glitch, they'll fix it. That big Mazda badge in the middle of the grille is clean isn't it?

No, it's a glitch, they'll fix it. That big Mazda badge in the middle of the grille is clean isn't it?
A glitch? Might be that I came from an 04 Civic, but that's not a great glitch to get right in the middle of driving. Dashboard also said smart city brake support was malfunctioning as well.

Sensor is clean with no visible damage. Car gets either a full wash or at least a Meguiar Quik Detail every couple of weeks.

Have a service appt Saturday at 3. Hopefully it is just a quick fix.

A diagnostic scan by Mazda should find the issue pretty quickly.

A glitch? Might be that I came from an 04 Civic, but that's not a great glitch to get right in the middle of driving. Dashboard also said smart city brake support was malfunctioning as well.

Sensor is clean with no visible damage. Car gets either a full wash or at least a Meguiar Quik Detail every couple of weeks.

Have a service appt Saturday at 3. Hopefully it is just a quick fix.

One thing 2017 customers better get used to and that is the likelihood that a new CX-5 is going to show faults is quite high in the first few months. The same goes for any other brand.

One thing 2017 customers better get used to and that is the likelihood that a new CX-5 is going to show faults is quite high in the first few months. The same goes for any other brand.

Most of the tech/safety systems are carried over from the previous model which have been in use for quite sometime so in theory it should not be that high.

It will still be fewer glitches than my Infiniti. I would be more concerned about someone being able to remotely hack into my vehicle and take control of it.

It will still be fewer glitches than my Infiniti. I would be more concerned about someone being able to remotely hack into my vehicle and take control of it.

Correct me if I am wrong but the CX-5 doesn't come with built in wifi/3G/LTE. So unless you do have a connection, the chances of a remote hack are small (scratch)

drburgos is correct, the camera is actually at the top of the windshield by the rearview mirror; radar is behind the badge:

E7ywZnx.jpg

(image is from pg 4-156 of U.S. 2017 CX-5 manual)

Make sure there's nothing obstructing that area.

Last edited:
So basically this is just the car saying it could not safely drive by itself because it could not see properly?

Correct. Rather than driving you into the car in front or into another lane it puts the onus back on the driver.

I'm thinking something is now broken...

Dont think it would, but could replacing all interior lights with LEDs cause this?

8dd3fc481555e51d48398d2265beb084.jpg

FWIW, at least in my 3 (haven't had it happen in the CX-5 yet), if the cameras / sensors can't see properly the car computer doesn't always know it's just the environment and will say the system is malfunctioning. You can get it checked out but if you were driving into the sun again it could be the same situation. Your LED lighting changes should be completely unrelated.

Radar cruise uses the front emblem sensors.

Lane keep assist uses the camera.

I believe the smart braking uses both sensors together or depending on speed.

Looks like everything is clean. Traffic sign recognition is working though without any issues. Just so odd after 6 weeks for this to just start happening out of nowhere. Ill find out more Saturday!

Looks like everything is clean. Traffic sign recognition is working though without any issues. Just so odd after 6 weeks for this to just start happening out of nowhere. Ill find out more Saturday!

My guess some sort of software glitch

Correct me if I am wrong but the CX-5 doesn't come with built in wifi/3G/LTE. So unless you do have a connection, the chances of a remote hack are small (scratch)
Impossible actually without someone getting into the car and physically plugging something into the ODBII or USB port. So yes, chances are super small. Someone is more likely to have their car stolen than "hacked". I hate using that term, because its so mis-used on TV.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Impossible actually without someone getting into the car and physically plugging something into the ODBII or USB port. So yes, chances are super small. Someone is more likely to have their car stolen than "hacked". I hate using that term, because its so mis-used on TV.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Thought this was the case.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Front camera sensor was overheating according to codes pulled by tech. New camera ordered and should arrive in 2 weeks.

Back