Ambient lighting to door panels and overhead console

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
I bought my '17 CX5 Grand Touring with Premium Package about six weeks ago.

As all North American buyers know, only the driver's window switch illuminates. In other world markets ALL the switches illuminate on all the doors. To remedy this, I was thinking about finding a shop that might install ambient lighting on the front doors, just above the fake wood. My idea is for the light to cascade down the door and give enough light to illuminate the door panel.

I do have concerns that the glossy piano trim might cause some unwanted reflections, however. Also, what I want would require cutting into the door panel (the lip above the fake wood) to conceal the LEDS. I don't want the light source to be visible and they also need to be dimmable.

Also some ambient light from the overhead console would be great. Did some research on the CX9 and it has what looks like the exact overhead console but it has ambient lighting and an illuminated sunroof switch. Wonder if this would be a direct fit?

Any input would be appreciated.
d9642bcac3ceec1dfaea3b58f353bb37.jpg
57664636b36d7a0c1ae14e8f138b6fb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I bought my '17 CX5 Grand Touring with Premium Package about six weeks ago.

As all North American buyers know, only the driver's window switch illuminates. In other world markets ALL the switches illuminate on all the doors.

This is because other markets like here in Australia, all windows are auto up/down hence the illumination. Also, Japan doesn't have this, they are like the USA that is just driver hence only that button is illuminated.

To remedy this, I was thinking about finding a shop that might install ambient lighting on the front doors, just above the fake wood. My idea is for the light to cascade down the door and give enough light to illuminate the door panel.

I do have concerns that the glossy piano trim might cause some unwanted reflections, however. Also, what I want would require cutting into the door panel (the lip above the fake wood) to conceal the LEDS. I don't want the light source to be visible and they also need to be dimmable.

You could just try and source the switches that have illumination function from another market or perhaps on e-Bay. It's possible that the wiring already exists underneath and you may just have to connect the new switches in. That saves you cutting the door frame etc.

Just do the research before hand before to see if a straight switch swap will work

This is because other markets like here in Australia, all windows are auto up/down hence the illumination. Also, Japan doesn't have this, they are like the USA that is just driver hence only that button is illuminated.

You could just try and source the switches that have illumination function from another market or perhaps on e-Bay. It's possible that the wiring already exists underneath and you may just have to connect the new switches in. That saves you cutting the door frame etc.

Just do the research before hand before to see if a straight switch swap will work
Thanks for confirming my suspicion that auto up/down window switches are also illuminated.

Yes, I've considered the possibility of swapping out the switches. But, I'm not sure if they'll work correctly because our windows aren't auto up/down. Or it just the switches themselves that add the auto up/down feature? I would doubt that.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that auto up/down window switches are also illuminated.

Yes, I've considered the possibility of swapping out the switches. But, I'm not sure if they'll work correctly because our windows aren't auto up/down. Or it just the switches themselves that add the auto up/down feature? I would doubt that.

The auto up and down is related to the relevant module that controls it.

Just changing switch types should in theory be just that.

Any Mazda parts people on this forum?

My guess for this to work: Probably all switches would have to be replaced (with battery disconnected) then reconnect battery, initialize windows and done. Just guessing.

We really need a Mazda engineer or technician to let us know if this is possible.

We couldn't do this, on pre 2017 cars. The only thing I have managed to do, is solder a orange SMD LED and run some wire, to turn on the door unlock button's light.

Last edited:
Any Mazda parts people on this forum?

My guess for this to work: Probably all switches would have to be replaced (with battery disconnected) then reconnect battery, initialize windows and done. Just guessing.

We really need a Mazda engineer or technician to let us know if this is possible.

Sounds about right I believe (uhm)

But confirmation would be good

I've accessed this area behind the door panel for several cars in the past.

Experience tells me the following,
Window switches and all electrical switches for each door are complete sealed assemblies. They are either screwed into the rest of the door, into a structural frame that keeps the door stiff, or clipped in.
Either way, they are custom built for that specific door Left/right/front/rear and car model.

You may have found success with interchanging them between models in the 80s or 90s when they shared parts more between models, but this happens vary rarely now.

Experience from pulling panels on '91 Buick, 93' Nissan, 03' Honda, 04' Toyota.

If you want to really dig into it, find the part schematic photos that show all the parts for the door assembly. Find the part number for that window switch for the CX-9/5. Google search for what that PN looks like to purchase separately. Sometimes you find black/white CAD drawn pictures. Other times you find photograghs of them.

Go to a Mazda Dealership parts department and ask to see PN blah blah. They can bring them to you and you can hold both side by side.

Last edited:
Back