2017 GT Test Drive Impressions

tnm6i

:
'13 Accord Coupe i4/EX-L
Active single mid-thirties guy researching potential new vehicles. I've been researching the 2nd Gen CX-5 since it was announced. Never thought I'd actually want an SUV/CUV, but have always liked the styling of the CX-5 better than its competitors. I'm looking into possibilities for what vehicle I'd replace my 2013 Accord Coupe with, or if I'm even ready. Right now I'm thinking my next vehicles needs to be more utilitarian than coupe and the CX-5 is high on my list if I decide to go the SUV/CUV route, so I thought it was a good time to go drive one. I had an '03 and an '06 Mazda6 and loved them both. I've driven Honda and Mazda only for the past 14+ years. Here are my impressions in no particular order.

The Good:
Overall styling is superb. Really like the lines. Definitely the best looking vehicle in it's class hands down, IMO. Looks much more upscale and expensive than the price would suggest, both inside and out. The interior design and build quality is also excellent. I was able to find a comfortable driving position easily and visibility is way better than I was expecting. I appreciate that the glovebox is damped AND felt-lined. Nicely done, Mazda. Everything is within reach, but I did find the Commander knob interface a little weird, but I'm sure I'd get used to it. Bose audio system sounded OK at it's default settings; I did not make any adjustments. I didn't spend a lot of time with the Mazda Connect system, so I'll have to give it a closer test later on. I was most impressed with the feeling of solidity, especially the "thud" sound when closing the doors. I appreciate the interior materials quality and I didn't notice any rattles or squeaks and road/wind noise was minimal; it's obvious Mazda put forth considerable effort here. The ride was very smooth and quiet and the handling was better than expected for an SUV. I like the easy-fold rear seats and that the (optional) cargo cover attaches to the lift gate instead of just being a front-to back shade like most others. Really like the exterior lighting. The LED headlights, fog lights and DRLs are nice touches. I turned on the ACC, but didn't get a good chance to test it out. My tester didn't have the premium package, so no heads-up display to play with. As for paint colors, the SRC color was probably the best out all and I don't normally like red cars, but I could honestly see me choosing it. Very, very cool color! The Machine Gray w/ Parchment is also a nice color combination. My Accord has black/ivory interior and I've come to prefer the warmer tones. I went in thinking I'd like the Eternal Blue, but I actually like the old Reflex Blue much better.

The Bad/Annoying/Not Ideal:
The biggest negative I found was the lack of power off the line and feeling like I had to push it more to get to the power and the fact that the trans kept the engine around 4k RPM when ascending a moderate slope. Not sure if this is normal or not. It may be due to me being so accustomed to my Accord's CVT just always being in the right ratio that having a geared transmission is just a little weird to me. Sport mode with manual shifting works decently. I liked the fact that it rev matches down shifts, or at least it seemed to. The bottom-hinged accelerator is a little weird at first, and the throttle is sensitive and has a very short range of travel. I found myself "punching" it more than intended. Again, probably a muscle memory thing that would go away after a while. The engine, while very quiet at idle, especially for direct injection, gets a little raspy when accelerating swiftly or merging on the highway and the noise is evident in the cabin, much more so than my Accord. I also noticed a very faint whine at 40+ MPH, Sounds like some electronic interference or something. It was slight but noticeable. Interior nit-picks are few, but the headliner is a bit cheap-feeling. I also wish at least both front windows were auto up/down and just not the driver, and a little more interior illumination would be nice. I really wish Apple car Play and Android Auto would have been made available out of the gate. Paint quality on my Jet Black tester was just OK. I din't notice any imperfections, it just had a lot of orange peel. Seems SRC. silver and white are better. I would never buy black anyway.

So there you have it, just some random thoughts and observations. I really think if I go for an SUV instead of a Honda Ridgeline, the CX-5 is in the lead right now, but I haven't driven any other SUVs yet. The only other model I'd likely consider is a CR-V, but I'm not sold on the styling of the body and the interior. Will need to drive one soon.

The Bad/Annoying/Not Ideal:
I also wish at least both front windows were auto up/down and just not the driver.

Unfortunately that is the decision of Mazda USA.

We get auto up/down on all windows here

And here but we don't get drive away locking for some strange reason.

We get both but miss out on heated steering wheel and heated rear seats.

Mazda bean counters in various countries are weird (screwy)

Seems like a Subaru Forester or outback would be a better choice for you.

Why do you say that? because they have CVTs? I did drive a 2.5i Premium Outback last year and was fairly impressed with the driving dynamics, but just decided it wasn't for me for various reasons. My gut was telling me buying the OB would be a mistake, and I listened and just kinda forgot about it, so much so that I didn't even mention it in my OP :D. I did look at the Forester, too, but the interior was not all that nice and the seats were not comfortable for me.

The trans kept the engine around 4k RPM when ascending a moderate slope. Not sure if this is normal or not. It may be due to me being so accustomed to my Accord's CVT just always being in the right ratio that having a geared transmission is just a little weird to me.
Skyactiv deploys engine braking as soon as you lift your foot off the pedal. Toyota and Honda tranny's prefer to coast a lot more. You kind of love and hate this thing. In tight traffic this is superb because you can literally use one pedal driving as the engine downshifts, you also are in a correct gear to pull off.
So if I am descending a bridge - It will plop to 5th from 6th. If I need to keep it in 6th it, I can put in in fake manual mode where it will stay in 6th for speeds above 48 mph (all the time gas pedal is not depressed).

Infact this is exactly how it works even when on cruise. if you set it at 35 and there is a small downhill section, it downshifts. Overall experience is part of the true throttle response and almost go cart like driving experience.
I never liked this feature early on but I really like it now because I know exactly how this car will behave. This behavior is more assuring than what a Honda or Toyota transmission would do - coasting and keeping revs very low.

In addition to what Kaps said, Sport Mode keeps it at 4k RPM because this is where the car makes power. Sport Mode basically tries to keep you in the car's power band so you can get the best response from the engine. I will agree that it is a slow off the line.

What I was describing about the engine being at 4K RPM was not engine braking; I noticed while going up hill.Sport mode was not engaged. I did notice the slight engine braking when coming off the accelerator, but I knew immediately what it was. It just seemed to hold gears longer than I was expecting, I guess.

What I was describing about the engine being at 4K RPM was not engine braking; I noticed while going up hill.Sport mode was not engaged. I did notice the slight engine braking when coming off the accelerator, but I knew immediately what it was. It just seemed to hold gears longer than I was expecting, I guess.

My brain read ascending as descending lol.
Otherwise the Skyactiv transmission has been reviewed as one of the best if not the best Transmission under cars costing 50-60 K USD, including DCT/CVT etc. Quite a few reviewers have made this comment and its easy to notice.
I never experienced 4K RPM issue. For most driving my revs dont go beyond 2K RPM. Good low end torque though.

Skyactiv deploys engine braking as soon as you lift your foot off the pedal. Toyota and Honda tranny's prefer to coast a lot more. You kind of love and hate this thing. In tight traffic this is superb because you can literally use one pedal driving as the engine downshifts, you also are in a correct gear to pull off.
So if I am descending a bridge - It will plop to 5th from 6th. If I need to keep it in 6th it, I can put in in fake manual mode where it will stay in 6th for speeds above 48 mph (all the time gas pedal is not depressed).

Even the previous engine before Skyactiv had this feature to a certain degree

In addition to what Kaps said, Sport Mode keeps it at 4k RPM because this is where the car makes power. Sport Mode basically tries to keep you in the car's power band so you can get the best response from the engine. I will agree that it is a slow off the line.

Because peak torque is at 3200rpm (FWD) and 4000rpm (AWD). Yes it might be a bit slowish off the line but when the revs build, it is quite decent.

My brain read ascending as descending lol.
Otherwise the Skyactiv transmission has been reviewed as one of the best if not the best Transmission under cars costing 50-60 K USD, including DCT/CVT etc. Quite a few reviewers have made this comment and its easy to notice.
I never experienced 4K RPM issue. For most driving my revs dont go beyond 2K RPM. Good low end torque though.

You won't get the same as a turbo at the low end but yes it is still good enough.

I traded a '13 Infiniti G37 Convertible for the CX-5 for the same reasons you are considering... more utility and love the styling. After a week with it, I agree with all your comments. It always has enough power for whatever maneuver, but it is a bit slow off the line when not in Sport and the engine can get a bit coarse if you step on it. I've just learned to drive it a bit more leisurely than my A4. (wink) Everything else is fantastic. The Bose system is very good with adjustments to bass and treble and the A/C was blowing ice cold yesterday in 96 degree Dallas heat!

I would go for it all over again.

I traded a '13 Infiniti G37 Convertible for the CX-5 for the same reasons you are considering... more utility and love the styling. After a week with it, I agree with all your comments. It always has enough power for whatever maneuver, but it is a bit slow off the line when not in Sport and the engine can get a bit coarse if you step on it. I've just learned to drive it a bit more leisurely than my A4. (wink) Everything else is fantastic. The Bose system is very good with adjustments to bass and treble and the A/C was blowing ice cold yesterday in 96 degree Dallas heat!

When in sport mode, how is off the line performance. Better (scratch)

Good the hear! I think it would be a nice upgrade over my Accord in every area except drivetrain. I know CVTs get a lot of flack, but Honda does them better than just about anyone else and the Earth Dreams 2.4 and CVT really are a great match for smooth acceleration, responsiveness and economy. The CX-5 is not bad, just different than I've become accustomed to after 4 years and 70k miles in my Accord :D

I
Good the hear! I think it would be a nice upgrade over my Accord in every area except drivetrain. I know CVTs get a lot of flack, but Honda does them better than just about anyone else and the Earth Dreams 2.4 and CVT really are a great match for smooth acceleration, responsiveness and economy. The CX-5 is not bad, just different than I've become accustomed to after 4 years and 70k miles in my Accord :D

If you go for the CX-5, you'll get used to the drivetrain :)

Sport mode provides more response but after using it a lot in first week of ownership I have never used it again as often. I use the manual shifter to engine break or coast. Sport mode's only advantage is you don't have to floor it and are more capable to focus on other aspects of driving than the pedal.

Sport mode provides more response but after using it a lot in first week of ownership I have never used it again as often. I use the manual shifter to engine break or coast. Sport mode's only advantage is you don't have to floor it and are more capable to focus on other aspects of driving than the pedal.

Plus higher fuel consumption I believe

Back