Cabin Air Filter - Why it needs to be changed!

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
Just changed my cabin air filter this weekend at 20,000miles. The old one was gross! I don't smoke this is just from driving around. The dust from the chip seal they put on my road a while back may play a part in it but yuck!

attachment.php

It took about 30 secs to do. open the glove box, push in on both sides until the little knobs on either side are able to move free of where they catch. This drops the glove box just enough to remove the old filter and slide a new one in. No need to remove the entire glove box.

I think 2016's come with a charcoal filter from the factory - so it looks worse than it is. They start out with a 'dirty' appearance. Looks like the replacement doesn't have that.

I think 2016's come with a charcoal filter from the factory - so it looks worse than it is. They start out with a 'dirty' appearance. Looks like the replacement doesn't have that.

I think you're right. I changed mine at 12k and it looked black. I was thinking there's no way it could get that dirty in that little time.

Aside from the easy peasy cabin filter change I'm considering using coffee beans/grounds in a fabric bag to absorb any external air odors. Primarily exhaust fumes from older vehicles whom I'm stuck behind in traffic. I had good success back in the day in my CRX using charcoal briquettes however would not use them today for safety purposes. Coffee beans are safer and not to mention may wake me up in the morning.

Aside from the easy peasy cabin filter change I'm considering using coffee beans/grounds in a fabric bag to absorb any external air odors. Primarily exhaust fumes from older vehicles whom I'm stuck behind in traffic. I had good success back in the day in my CRX using charcoal briquettes however would not use them today for safety purposes. Coffee beans are safer and not to mention may wake me up in the morning.

Interesting.

Where do you put that bag of coffee?

Interesting.

Where do you put that bag of coffee?

Charcoal worked great for me in the past being a single bro hanging with the breezys...I mean they put activated charcoal in cabin filters for a reason. Then I read its actually a new trend of suicide (light some charcoal in cabin). With family in the car I wanted to try something a bit safer and so I read about coffee beans.

Here's a good read: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120208102737.htm

Oh btw I'd probably place it in a fabric bag up the front passenger foot well. A good spot could be on the front passenger door (cupholder magazine slot thingy).

Yep, 2016(.5) CX-5's have charcoal cabin air filter from factory and it looks black even if it's new. Just replace it according to Mazda's recommended replacement interval - 24 months/30,000 miles and you'll be fine.

Went to Mazda dealer yesterday and took more pictures on 2016.5 CX-5's new charcoal cabin filter from factory, Mazda genuine non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X, and Mazda Value Products non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X-MV. From the comparison picture below we can see the picture you posted earlier is Value Products with white plastic frame instead of black. Value Products cabin filter is about $10 cheaper than Mazda Genuine Parts on list price.

attachment.php

View attachment 216193

I'm sure that the bag of coffee will smell good but unless you're breathing through the bag I can't see it making much, if any, difference in the cabin air quality. I'm sure that it will absorb a small amount of 'bad air' but a noticeable amount? Doubtful.

Yep, 2016(.5) CX-5's have charcoal cabin air filter from factory and it looks black even if it's new. Just replace it according to Mazda's recommended replacement interval - 24 months/30,000 miles and you'll be fine.

The one I replaced it with is the KD45-61-J6X, not the value version. I wonder why we can't get the charcoal filter as a replacement? On a side note, I really hate the "value" line of replacement parts. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks have quality parts rather then the cheap crap they list as "Value" parts. Wiper blades, filters, etc, I want original OEM quality!

The one I replaced it with is the KD45-61-J6X, not the value version. I wonder why we can't get the charcoal filter as a replacement? On a side note, I really hate the "value" line of replacement parts. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks have quality parts rather then the cheap crap they list as "Value" parts. Wiper blades, filters, etc, I want original OEM quality!

I thought the OEM wiper blades were pretty crappy. Literally one of the first things I replaced when they failed to perform in a snowstorm shortly after buying the car.

I was asking the same question myself why can't we get OEM charcoal cabin filter? And why does Mazda offer the "Value" line maintenance parts? People getting the OEM parts are care more on quality, not "value". People want value normally would be looking for aftermarket parts.

I thought the OEM wiper blades were pretty crappy. Literally one of the first things I replaced when they failed to perform in a snowstorm shortly after buying the car.

I had great luck with mine... replaced them at 3 years. I think it might be the car wash soap I use; it has UV inhibitors.

I had great luck with mine... replaced them at 3 years. I think it might be the car wash soap I use; it has UV inhibitors.

The problem I had with them was snowstorms with heavy snow. It always accumulated on the wiper blades in a way that would render the wiper blades useless and I had to pull over to wipe them off all the time. And when I say useless, it would streak water across the glass and make it hard to see.

Replaced with some Tricos and now have some Bosch and they have both been much better.

The problem I had with them was snowstorms with heavy snow. It always accumulated on the wiper blades in a way that would render the wiper blades useless and I had to pull over to wipe them off all the time. And when I say useless, it would streak water across the glass and make it hard to see.

Replaced with some Tricos and now have some Bosch and they have both been much better.
I've seen similar complaint on these new "frameless" wipers with proprietary hook on 2nd-gen CX-9. Now 2nd-gen CX-5 uses the same "frameless" wipers with proprietary hook and we'll see how these wipers will perform next winter. Of course there's no alternatives from Bosch or Trico as nobody else uses this style of hook.

I know this is silly, but I still have the original wiper blades on mine. I got my CX-5 in August 2013 and I have 46k miles on it. I bought replacement rubbers 2 years ago figuring I'd need them soon. But the originals still refuse to streak when in use so I see no need to replace them. I do check the rubber for cracks and/or breaks every time I wash the vehicle, but so far they are just fine. I use Rain-X when I clean the windows and I use the Rain-X additive to the wiper fluid. I really can't explain it! (uhm)

I know this is silly, but I still have the original wiper blades on mine. I got my CX-5 in August 2013 and I have 46k miles on it. I bought replacement rubbers 2 years ago figuring I'd need them soon. But the originals still refuse to streak when in use so I see no need to replace them. I do check the rubber for cracks and/or breaks every time I wash the vehicle, but so far they are just fine. I use Rain-X when I clean the windows and I use the Rain-X additive to the wiper fluid. I really can't explain it! (uhm)

Yeah, I've been using Trico View windshield treatment on my windshield and back window since the day I bought it. It's very similar to Rain-x just lasts much longer. I've got 2 years, 20,000 miles on the original wipers and haven't had trouble with them yet. I do have an extra set of replacement inserts for when I need them but as of now I haven't changed them cause the current ones are still going strong.

I never even thought about mine but it has been almost 3.5 years and 85K miles and I am still on my original wipers (but 3rd set of tires!).

We replaced our stock front blades after 4 years or so. I think keeping the windshield relatively clean and smooth helps. I sort of credit the Meguiars Car Wash/Wax in that it probably helped the rubber to keep from being brittle.

I used to use Rain-X but discovered an existing product I'm currently using works better. Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax which I use to clean/wax the pain and black panels works much better than Rain-X on windows.

Tried Rain-x and was not impressed at all.

Thanks for the alternative suggestions!

This is the blue (non wax version) of Optimum No Rinse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsn_30pNR3Y

The newer Green version with wax is used the same way in the video. One major benefit is you don't have to worry about getting it on your paint or black panels...in fact it would clean and add layer of wax on those sections in the process.

Back