(2016) Exhaust tips are always dirty, black from soot build-up...normal you say?

:
16 CX-5 Tour'ngAWD
not sure if this is a general topic or an appearance topic, so I chose here...

Ok, not knowing the uber specifics of the Skyactive system, I've noticed, from day one, that the exhaust tips on our 2016 Touring get dirty fast and never stay clean for very long. I've wiped/cleaned them off, as best as I could, but the cleanliness didn't even last one days driving. Why do the exhaust tips get so dirty so fast?

My '04 1.8t GTI's tips, single wall stainless, do not get as dirty as the CX-5's nor do they get covered in soot as bad as the CX-5 tips. What's going on? I would have thought the Skyactive technology is a cleaner burning technology, especially compared to 13yo VW combustion technology.

Is it due to the CX-5 exhaust tip design?
Is it the finish on the tips?
Is it the type of metal (I'm assuming stainless) the tips are made of?
Is it the rolled edge of the tips as opposed as the straight cut on the GTI?

Any tips to keeping the tips cleaner (looking) for longer. And no, "don't drive it" is not a valid answer. (drive2)

I think it has to do with the fact that skyactive engines run rich until they are warmed up so that is the reason you are getting the black soot. Get some metal polish and some #0000 steel wool and polish the tips. After that use a wax like Collinite 476 which will hold up to the heat and give them a quick coat. Should make it easier to clean. I did that to mine when I first brought it home and haven't needed anything but a quick wipe while washing it. It's been 2 years and it's looking like I'll have to do that again soon. It really makes them shine nicely.

My cx-5 had some soot in the tailpipes but it was never horrible.Minimizing short cold engine trips and going to higher octane gas(to 89 from 87) and they've been running clean the last couple of years.The car likes higher octane(loves 92/93 but a decent grade of 89 works well price and performance wise).My cars have always ran great when gassing up with Marathon when passing thru Ohio.I'll take that over Speedway or BP. Just my .02.

My CX5 exhaust tip have some dark internal color and my CX7 was the same. In fact all my recent vehicles have shown the same thing so it is normal. ed

The long 4-2-1 exhaust header means the catalytic converter takes extra time to heat up. To speed this up the engine runs rich for a few seconds on cold starts and so its a bit sooty.

It's kind of a paradox but yeah, the efficiency improvements means it actually has to run inefficiently until the cat hits its target temp.

I have some 0000 steel wool and maas matel polish, but I will need to source some high temp wax. I know all cars run rich upon start-up when cold which is one factor leading to poor mileage in the winter.

I will also try to fill with 89 or 93 now that the CX-5 is equaling the mpgs my GTI is getting. It will just depend on the day and who's filling up tank - me or the wife.

I really can't do anything about the short trips and maybe the summer temps will minimize the warm-up time.

How about some high temp ceramic coating for wheels and calipers? It wont just blow off but it'll be easier for you to rinse off.

Sooty exhaust tips have been normal since the installation of catalytic converters. HC + O2 -> H2O, CO2, CO, and C.

Back