Carfax

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
I traded my 2014 CX 5 in for a 2016.5 model, and now my old car is being sold as a certified Mazda vehicle.The dealer is offering a Carfax report with it that can be opened online which just happens to be missing a few things. Missing was the fact that I actually got hit twice in the back, one time required a rear door replacement and rear bumper support. Also had no mention of a transmission replacement, just stupid maintenance stuff and state inspections. I know of another conversation on this forum somewhere where Carfax misses accident information. So if you're looking at used or even certified, beware of relying on Carfax.

That's re-assuring. One would think that insurance repair would pop up for sure. Was it fairly recent?

Carfax is only as good as the information SENT to it ... it doesn't gather data, it only receives it. The OPs incidents were not reported, thus CARFAX is ignorant of them. The "failure" is with the repair facility (ETA 'or the ins co.) .... did the dealer do the repairs?

CARFAX has been elevated to a far more reliable car-history-indicator than it deserves. Effective advertising, pimping by dealers ...

Last edited:
Carfax is only as good as the information SENT to it ... it doesn't gather data, it only receives it. The OPs incidents were not reported, thus CARFAX is ignorant of them. The "failure" is with the repair facility (ETA 'or the ins co.) .... did the dealer do the repairs?

CARFAX has been elevated to a far more reliable car-history-indicator than it deserves. Effective advertising, pimping by dealers ...

Accident occurred in 2013.
Dealer did not do repairs to the body damage, but did replace the transmission.
You have a point here...Carfax report does state that nothing was reported to it, kind of misleading here especially if you were actually paying for the actual report expecting to find an actual history.

Last edited:
I traded my 2014 CX 5 in for a 2016.5 model, and now my old car is being sold as a certified Mazda vehicle.The dealer is offering a Carfax report with it that can be opened online which just happens to be missing a few things. Missing was the fact that I actually got hit twice in the back, one time required a rear door replacement and rear bumper support. Also had no mention of a transmission replacement, just stupid maintenance stuff and state inspections. I know of another conversation on this forum somewhere where Carfax misses accident information. So if you're looking at used or even certified, beware of relying on Carfax.
So you finally pulled the trigger and traded in your 2014 CX-5 before your warranty expires for a new one. I guess at least that CX-5 will be covered with longer CPO warranty for the second transmission you had which you suspected may have potential issues.

Congrats for finding a new 2016.5 CX-5 with great price. I'd tried to replace our 2016 CX-5 but couldn't come up an exact one I want. An AWD CX-5 is scarce and hard to find in Texas area.

Carfax definitely can't tell the whole story of a used car, so as the CPO. That's why I always get a brand new vehicle to eliminate any guess work of buying a used car! :)

So you finally pulled the trigger and traded in your 2014 CX-5 before your warranty expires for a new one. I guess at least that CX-5 will be covered with longer CPO warranty for the second transmission you had which you suspected may have potential issues.

Congrats for finding a new 2016.5 CX-5 with great price. I'd tried to replace our 2016 CX-5 but couldn't come up an exact one I want. An AWD CX-5 is scarce and hard to find in Texas area.

Carfax definitely can't tell the whole story of a used car, so as the CPO. That's why I always get a brand new vehicle to eliminate any guess work of buying a used car! :)
Thanks. Actually, I was 10k miles out of my warranty. Incentives were too good to pass up on this one, got about 4 grand off the sticker and 11 for mine which I owed a couple of hundred on. We got exactly what we wanted, touring model with AWD (you guys talked me into that), moon roof, etc. Also picked up a Mazda factory bumper to bumper extended warranty, 6 years/100k miles, for $1300 (dealer cost, or so he said). It's much improved over our '14 and we're just loving it.

Thanks. Actually, I was 10k miles out of my warranty. Incentives were too good to pass up on this one, got about 4 grand off the sticker and 11 for mine which I owed a couple of hundred on. We got exactly what we wanted, touring model with AWD (you guys talked me into that), moon roof, etc. Also picked up a Mazda factory bumper to bumper extended warranty, 6 years/100k miles, for $1300 (dealer cost, or so he said). It's much improved over our '14 and we're just loving it.
With great incentive I'd choose a 2016.5 CX-5 too instead of a 2017. I do feel, with basically the same powertrain, the 2nd-gen CX-5 doesn't give me enough values and features I want, sometimes even less or annoying features such as missing CD player and featuring tire pressure sensor valve stems、headlights on all-the-time. But my wife has different idea though ⋯ :)

You didn't ask for Tech Package for your Touring, did you? That would be hard to find.

With great incentive I'd choose a 2016.5 CX-5 too instead of a 2017. I do feel, with basically the same powertrain, the 2nd-gen CX-5 doesn't give me enough values and features I want, sometimes even less or annoying features such as missing CD player and featuring tire pressure sensor valve stems、headlights on all-the-time. But my wife has different idea though ⋯ :)

You didn't ask for Tech Package for your Touring, did you? That would be hard to find.

Agree about the 16 versus the 17, don't like the looks of the 17...looks like a buck tooth albatross. No, didn't go for tech package, there were plenty available in this area. Wife had to have a moon roof and only one was available in the area and it happen to be in a red vehicle, also what she wanted.

Yeah, a Carfax can tell you there's been an accident but the absence of an accident on Carfax doesn't rule out the possibility. I just bought a used CX-5 from a private seller and made sure to get a Carfax and Experian vehicle history report. There's a non-chain dealer on my street that gave me both of the reports for free! Once those reports had no reported accidents I paid for a pre-purchase inspection at a highly reviewed foreign mechanic shop and then the same at a body shop. I also took my time inspecting it myself for body work indicators such as mismatched paint texture or color/metallic flakes, paint drips in door jams, paint over spray in the wheel wells, body panels where one is higher, the gap between body panels not being a consistent width or body panel bolts and nuts that indicated they had been loosened.

Overall I'm very confident there was no body work ever done but mechanical repairs can be impossible to detect.

Back