Article about diesel

it won't be available in Manual.
Probably a good idea to start with GT seeing as how 50% of CX-5's sold are GT and those buyers are probably more willing to pay the premium for a diesel engine.

excited to see these finally show up this fall.

Yeah, just came to post this article:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170510/OEM04/170519977/mazda-sets-bar-high-for-diesel-powered-cx-5

Mazda, Moro said, will begin offering the diesel engine on high-end CX-5 models such as the Grand Touring variant, which starts at just under $30,000. He said the diesel engine could trickle down to other CX-5 trim levels over time.

Starting from high and expanding, I think, is the right way, he said.

That's disappointing. I would prefer the mid level (GS in Canada) with the diesel. This could be the difference between me leasing or buying one. I'd be especially frustrated to buy one only to make the diesel available in the GS (AND/OR a manual) available the 2nd or 3rd year in.

Thanks for sharing! So it is the EPA that is holding back the availability of the diesel CX-5.

I have mixed thoughts about offering it only on the GT trim. On one hand, I don't care since if I'm going to replace our existing CX-5, it will be replaced with a GT. It is also a cautious/safe move by Mazda USA to make sure there is actually demand for it. On the other, I wished they would offer it at least on the Touring trim, so other buyers can get to experience it without splurging on a GT trim CX-5.

Diesel is cheaper to run. I would love to see one offered in Sport with or without manual. I would probably replace my 16 with that sometime in the future.
Great mpg
sub 25K price
Lower profile much better in harsh cross winds for stability, will be able to attack corners even faster than a 16
Will be able to push through @ highway speeds much better than 2.5L petrol.
Quiet interior which is amazing.

Diesel is cheaper to run. I would love to see one offered in Sport with or without manual. I would probably replace my 16 with that sometime in the future.
Great mpg
sub 25K price
Lower profile much better in harsh cross winds for stability, will be able to attack corners even faster than a 16
Will be able to push through @ highway speeds much better than 2.5L petrol.
Quiet interior which is amazing.

I'm wondering if it will actually be cheaper to run. There will be a price premium on the engine (I wonder how much - $2k, $3k? more?), the fuel is generally more expensive per gallon, and there will be DEF to refill as well.

There will need to be a notable MPG improvement to recoup costs. I'm skeptical. I think the benefit will be more for enthusiasts who want the low end torque.

I'm wondering if it will actually be cheaper to run. There will be a price premium on the engine (I wonder how much - $2k, $3k? more?), the fuel is generally more expensive per gallon, and there will be DEF to refill as well.

There will need to be a notable MPG improvement to recoup costs. I'm skeptical. I think the benefit will be more for enthusiasts who want the low end torque.

Depends on where you live.

Diesel tends to be 10-20 cents (CDN) per liter (~27-54 cents US per gallon) cheaper here in greater Vancouver. DEF is like $15 1-2 times a year. Hardly worth noting. Add a roughly 15-20% increase in fuel efficiency and it looks good to me.

Then there's the benefits of the extra torque (which I plan to put to good use towing).

It's certainly not for everyone but it has tons of appeal to some of us.

Someone double check my math:

If you can get 10 more mpgs then that's about 150 more mils per Tank fill up.
If filling up your tank 2x per month that 3,600 more miles per year.
That's a little more than 3 months worth of mileage or about $240 worth of gas savings for me It would take about 10 years to break even for me.

Then again I wouldn't be buying it to save money anyhow but rather its 300lb torque. The fact it gets good real mileage numbers would be the side benefit.

Someone double check my math:

If you can get 10 more mpgs then that's about 150 more mils per Tank fill up.
If filling up your tank 2x per month that 3,600 more miles per year.
That's a little more than 3 months worth of mileage or about $240 worth of gas savings for me It would take about 10 years to break even for me.

Then again I wouldn't be buying it to save money anyhow but rather its 300lb torque. The fact it gets good real mileage numbers would be the side benefit.

And perhaps the turbo gas engine - with all its low end torque - will be available.

Only model here that gets a manual transmission is base model 2.0L Maxx. Diesels come with auto transmissions.

Re: cost of ownership

I drive about 15k miles per year. If I assume the 2.5L will get 26 MPG on average and the diesel will get 34 MPG, that's 577 gallons vs. 441 gallons. The current average price of 87 octane here is $2.31 and diesel is $2.50. That translates into annual fuel costs of $1333 vs. $1102, a difference of just $231. I typically keep cars until they become money pits which is usually 10-12 years, so if fuel prices remain where they are now I might just break even.

If fuel prices go back to where they were in the first half of the decade (~$3.50 for regular, ~$3.80 for diesel) the difference is $344 per year and I might break even after 7-8 years. And if the diesel ends up being a little more fuel efficient, like 36 MPG average, which is more like the VW TDI 2.0, then the payback time might be a year sooner.

Of course, if we were offered the CX-9's turbo instead for the same option price as the diesel, you'd never recoup the cost delta.

Re: cost of ownership

I drive about 15k miles per year. If I assume the 2.5L will get 26 MPG on average and the diesel will get 34 MPG, that's 577 gallons vs. 441 gallons. The current average price of 87 octane here is $2.31 and diesel is $2.50. That translates into annual fuel costs of $1333 vs. $1102, a difference of just $231. I typically keep cars until they become money pits which is usually 10-12 years, so if fuel prices remain where they are now I might just break even.

If fuel prices go back to where they were in the first half of the decade (~$3.50 for regular, ~$3.80 for diesel) the difference is $344 per year and I might break even after 7-8 years. And if the diesel ends up being a little more fuel efficient, like 36 MPG average, which is more like the VW TDI 2.0, then the payback time might be a year sooner.

Of course, if we were offered the CX-9's turbo instead for the same option price as the diesel, you'd never recoup the cost delta.

And that's assuming there's no extra cost for the diesel engine up front. Usually they are more expensive because they're more heavy duty in construction and have the extra emissions equipment.

I think people are looking at the diesel option the wrong way. It is not provided so you can save money in fuel costs. It is provided as a performance option so you can get 310 lb-ft of torque and still get 30+ mpg. With the NA engine, you only get 185 lb-ft and more than likely less combined mpg.

^^Right (although depends on one's definition of performance) but most will save on fuel costs- eventually recouping all or most the added up front costs where even after 5-6 years 75-100k w/the balance likely made up in resale. This is clearly not for everyone but for those with lengthy 30-40+ mile one way mostly highway commutes I think it starts to make sense for added range and economically as a sort of hedge against rising fuel cost. Too bad though that it won't be a 'Touring diesel vs GT gasser' choice for similar outlay though. Will most GT buyers balk at a loaded 37k (guessing obviously) CX-5GT premium pkg diesel? Probably (guessing obviously.)

Still, this entices: "He said Mazda has “big plans” for the launch of the diesel-powered CX-5 but declined to disclose any details."

Last edited:
Still, this entices: "He said Mazda has “big plans” for the launch of the diesel-powered CX-5 but declined to disclose any details."

Please be a manual option, please be a manual option, please be a manual option, please be a manual option.

I think people are looking at the diesel option the wrong way. It is not provided so you can save money in fuel costs. It is provided as a performance option so you can get 310 lb-ft of torque and still get 30+ mpg. With the NA engine, you only get 185 lb-ft and more than likely less combined mpg.

Exactly. The 2.5T would have a price premium AND suck down more gas.

Please be a manual option, please be a manual option, please be a manual option, please be a manual option.

It's not going to happen, people.

And that's assuming there's no extra cost for the diesel engine up front. Usually they are more expensive because they're more heavy duty in construction and have the extra emissions equipment.

Not at all. I'm assuming there will be an up to $2.8k premium for getting the diesel up front, which is what some others have speculated in previous diesel threads. If the diesel was the same price as the gas engine, why would I be talking about a break-even point? That would be like a dream come true. 30% greater fuel economy and 65% more torque for the same purchase price, who would turn that down?

Back