2017 CX-5 GT Cooling Fan running on shutdown - and thoughts on OBDll device

PVQ

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD w Premium, Soul Red Crystal
I realize after checking the owners manual that it is completely normal for the cooling fan to continue running on shutdown to "quickly cool the engine compartment", but I am a little surprised that it is happening at such low ambient temperatures. Twice in the last two days, when turning off my vehicle inside of the garage after 15 minutes or so of local driving, the cooling fan continued to run, and the outside temperature was only in the 60's. The first time it happened I quickly restarted the car to get a quick look at the temp gauge, which was in the normal range. I also checked the coolant level, which is also normal. I'm guessing if it is happening now with the temperature in the 60s, it will likely be a regular occurrence in the summer. I have a Kiwi3 OBDll device that I may plug in to see if I can get an accurate read of engine temp on shut down just to make sure the car is not overheating but that brings up another question. I've read some threads (not necessarily on Mazdas) where people reported odd electrical system occurrences when using OBDll devices. Is there any reason I should be concerned about plugging an OBDll device in on my new CX-5?

Thanks in advance for your replies

I'd heard the same complaint on long-running radiator fan after engine is turned off before for 1st-gen CX-5. My 2016 CX-5 doesn't do that often even in hot Texas summer. You can hook up your Kiwi3 OBDll reader and double check your coolant temperature, but I doubt you have any issues. It could be the variance on temperature sensors between vehicles and caused different scenario on how long the radiator fan running after engine shut-off.

Have no worries to hook up your Kiwi3 OBDll reader as long as you follow the proper instruction.

No problem with the fan running. Your car is doing what it was trained to do.(headbang)

The OBD2 readers are AWESOME for OCD info geeks like myself.

I use an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD2 reader (Foseal which is $11.99 on Amazon), and it attaches wirelessly to my android based phone via the TORQUE application ($4.99 app). It of course can do the code reading and resetting, and is simply amazing all of the data that can be seen, logged, google mapped, etc..
(blah)

Last edited:
Back