How does Auto Hold work?

meeno

:
05 mazda 3
Dealer explained a little bit but I don't quite get it. It basically lets you let your foot off the brake at a stop and moves automatically? what if the car in front stops again? do I have to keep re-engaging? Would prefer not to test this out in real life without understanding it...

page 4-72 of the owners manual:

The AUTOHOLD function automatically holds the vehicle stopped, even if you take your foot off the brake pedal. This function can be best used while stopped in traffic or at a traffic light. The brakes are released when you resume driving the vehicle such as by releasing the clutch pedal with the shift lever shifted to a position other than the neutral position (manual transaxle vehicle) or depressing the accelerator pedal (automatic transaxle vehicle).

My understanding of it is that it's just so you don't have to sit there with your foot on the break if you're stuck in major traffic.
once you start moving, the Auto Hold wouldn't auto brake for you, that would be up to the i-STOP feature (if applicable)

Dealer explained a little bit but I don't quite get it. It basically lets you let your foot off the brake at a stop and moves automatically? what if the car in front stops again? do I have to keep re-engaging? Would prefer not to test this out in real life without understanding it...

When the car comes to a complete stop, the car will remain still even when you take your foot off the brake pedal, until such time you press the accelerator. The car will not creep forward like a regular automatic when you take your foot off the brake.

When you press the accelerator pedal, the car simply moves away.

It's effectively an extension of the parking brake functionality.

It stays on until you turn the car off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah, when you come to a stop and you'll be there for awhile, give the brake pedal a little extra push forward - this engages the autohold. Then you can take your foot off the brake. When you need to move again (light turned green), just use the gas like normal, and off you go. It saves from having to shift to park or keep your foot on the brake at a stop.

Here is a video that explains it

I don't have the auto hold in my '16, but I sometimes use the e--brake for the same effect. You just have to engage it each time.

I use it all the time in my '17 GT. As others explained here, simple push the button to activate. Then when you come to a complete stop, a "HOLD" light will show on your dash. You can then let go of the brake pedal and it will automatically brake for you. Then push gas pedal when you're ready to go, and Auto Hold will disengage.

Quick note, you can't activate Auto Hold with driver's seatbelt disconnected... (obvious safety feature)

I use it all the time in my '17 GT. As others explained here, simple push the button to activate. Then when you come to a complete stop, a "HOLD" light will show on your dash. You can then let go of the brake pedal and it will automatically brake for you. Then push gas pedal when you're ready to go, and Auto Hold will disengage.

Quick note, you can't activate Auto Hold with driver's seatbelt disconnected... (obvious safety feature)

One thing that I haven't found out, it holds the car while you let go of the brake but does it also disengage the brake lights at the rear? (scratch)

One thing that I haven't found out, it holds the car while you let go of the brake but does it also disengage the brake lights at the rear? (scratch)
Very good question ⋯ (uhm)

True... ok.. who is going to head out to the driveway with a positioned mirror to confirm? :)

Another way is to get a significant other to just record it on their smartphones ;)

I thought I read that it does, which is useful, I would certainly try using it if I had it.
At the moment I sit at lights with my foot on the brake, which it appears a lot of drivers do.

I thought I read that it does, which is useful, I would certainly try using it if I had it.
At the moment I sit at lights with my foot on the brake, which it appears a lot of drivers do.
Just trying to get confirmation, that's all

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

The brake lights turn on for the duration of the auto hold being in effect. Confirmed this at night with the bright red glow from the brake lights. :)

My question however is, can auto hold be set to automatically turn on when the ignition is switched on? I love the autohold feature and use it a lot. However, when the ignition is switched off, the parking brake takes over. When the ignition is switched on and the car accelerates, the parking brake is released automatically but the auto hold is not engaged; I have to engage it manually the first time.

My question however is, can auto hold be set to automatically turn on when the ignition is switched on? I love the autohold feature and use it a lot. However, when the ignition is switched off, the parking brake takes over. When the ignition is switched on and the car accelerates, the parking brake is released automatically but the auto hold is not engaged; I have to engage it manually the first time.

AFAIK no. You need to manually turn it on every time after you start up.

Back