Car Buying War Story

Ashe Too

:
2014 Mazda3, S-Touring
I had a deal with Independence Mazda in Charlotte to purchase two vehicles, a 2016.5 for my wife and a 2017 for me, and was able to reach a good agreement on price. The dealership had to get both vehicles from other dealerships or incoming inventory. Car #1 came in a few days later, and after some administrative problems dealing with lease turn in because the F&I guy didn't do his homework, we were able to close and accept delivery. The problem was, the car they delivered was not the car we struck the deal on. The car they delivered was less expensive, but the savings was not passed on to us. I didn't fuss about the mix-up because they made a concession on our lease turn-in and traded the car instead. Car #2 came in about a week later, and it too was not the car we struck the deal on. But this time it was a bigger deal because I had requested all-wheel drive model, and they were going to deliver front-wheel drive. I was disappointed and angry. One of the sales managers got grumpy when I told him "y'all f**k'd up." I mean, give me a break. Screw up two deals, and a guy can't even drop an F-bomb! That same dude is probably cussing up a storm right now over a beer with his buddies while he complains about that customer who dared to use a cuss word after his crew botched two car deals. He needs to harden the F up and take his medicine like a grown up. It's a little hard to give him or them the benefit of the doubt on anything now. I'm a little sour on the dealership and on Mazda because it seems that all the Mazda dealerships I've encountered are a little smarmy. VW is looking pretty good at this point just to get a slightly more premium experience at the dealership.

Speak to the dealer principal or owner. They should be able to sort it out

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bass Mazda in Sheffield Lake Ohio was 1st class all the way.
I assume you didn't take the FWD car?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You made two mistakes. You fked it up. I would walk out if my car has even a mile above 50 mark. I am buying new.

I did not take the FWD car. I'm really tired of FWD, which is one reason I'm not gunning for a GTI, which would be my first choice. I could escalate to the principal, owner, or GM - but I'm in too hostile of a frame of mind at this point to behave the way I want to. I need to cool off.

Never accept anything different to the signed contract. Wait a while before escalation. Also talk to Mazda USA

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Excuse me? I made two mistakes? I fked it up?

Unless the dealership held you at gunpoint ... Yes you messed up. As soon as variables change you need to either walk or get more out of the deal.
Both cases you got a car you didn't even wanted. If that is not fibbing up then I don't know what is.

I had a deal with Independence Mazda in Charlotte to purchase two vehicles, a 2016.5 for my wife and a 2017 for me, and was able to reach a good agreement on price. The dealership had to get both vehicles from other dealerships or incoming inventory. Car #1 came in a few days later, and after some administrative problems dealing with lease turn in because the F&I guy didn't do his homework, we were able to close and accept delivery. The problem was, the car they delivered was not the car we struck the deal on. The car they delivered was less expensive, but the savings was not passed on to us. I didn't fuss about the mix-up because they made a concession on our lease turn-in and traded the car instead. Car #2 came in about a week later, and it too was not the car we struck the deal on. But this time it was a bigger deal because I had requested all-wheel drive model, and they were going to deliver front-wheel drive. I was disappointed and angry. One of the sales managers got grumpy when I told him "y'all f**k'd up." I mean, give me a break. Screw up two deals, and a guy can't even drop an F-bomb! That same dude is probably cussing up a storm right now over a beer with his buddies while he complains about that customer who dared to use a cuss word after his crew botched two car deals. He needs to harden the F up and take his medicine like a grown up. It's a little hard to give him or them the benefit of the doubt on anything now. I'm a little sour on the dealership and on Mazda because it seems that all the Mazda dealerships I've encountered are a little smarmy. VW is looking pretty good at this point just to get a slightly more premium experience at the dealership.

My mazda dealership local to me is awesome. Don't blame mazda. Blame dealedship.

My mazda dealership local to me is awesome. Don't blame mazda. Blame dealedship.

Exactly. It's the dealer that's the issue.

One near my place is completely and utterly hopeless/incompetent when we bought a Mazda3 about 8 years ago.

When it came time to buy my Mazda6 a few years ago, we went to a different one and they were great.

I drove all the way to central NC (High Point) to get mine because the dealer was so awesome. Seriously the best car buying experience I've ever had.
Unfortunately, the dealership has since closed, or I would recommend you consider them.

Independence Mazda highly sucks. They tried the same with me. Took me all of 30 seconds to tell them by!!

Went across town to South Charlotte, once again, okay, decent price, but the salesman tried to treat me like I was an idiot towards the end, so by to them also.

Headed past NC to Va to get the car. So far, so good, and over a $1k cheaper on the price. They have both of what you are looking for In stock sitting on their lot.

Let me know if I can help...

Last edited:
Yep, I would not give a dime to that dealer. (wow)
I would also notify Mazda NA of the poor sales experience.

There are plenty of other Mazda dealers that VALUE you and your business. :D

Unless the dealership held you at gunpoint ... Yes you messed up. As soon as variables change you need to either walk or get more out of the deal.
Both cases you got a car you didn't even wanted. If that is not fibbing up then I don't know what is.
While I certainly would not have accepted the first car for any reason, I would hardly say OP screwed up there. OP did NOT accept the FWD car so there was no "second **** up". Regardless, everyone involved was an adult and shouldn't be so offended by...****. LOL

So, where exactly do we stand, you have the 16.5 on a poor deal, and you are still considering a 17 at another dealer?

You're not paying attention Kaps: in the first deal, the dealer ended up trading our lease car instead of us turning it in. He took about a $1,000 hit, which more than offset the $400 difference in the car he delivered. We came out on top because the dealer screwed up and had to find a fix and the fix cost him money. I think I made that clear in an abbreviated form when I said " I didn't fuss about the mix-up because they made a concession on our lease turn-in and traded the car instead." In the second deal, I didn't buy the car. So I didn't get "a car that I didn't even wanted (sic)."

You're not paying attention Kaps: in the first deal, the dealer ended up trading our lease car instead of us turning it in. He took about a $1,000 hit, which more than offset the $400 difference in the car he delivered. We came out on top because the dealer screwed up and had to find a fix and the fix cost him money. I think I made that clear in an abbreviated form when I said " I didn't fuss about the mix-up because they made a concession on our lease turn-in and traded the car instead." In the second deal, I didn't buy the car. So I didn't get "a car that I didn't even wanted (sic)."

In your mind, "I didn't fuss about the mix-up because they made a concession on our lease turn-in and traded the car instead." = "the dealer ended up trading our lease car instead of us turning it in. He took about a $1,000 hit, which more than offset the $400 difference in the car he delivered. We came out on top because the dealer screwed up and had to find a fix and the fix cost him money."

It's a bit more difficult for us reading at home to make that leap...

Yea, I was confused by that too. Not to mention... You waited to do paperwork after the car was delivered? Isn't it normal to have the paperwork done before the dealer agrees to spend money getting a car moved? My friend just bought a Mazda 6. Dealer got car from another lot after paperwork was finalized. On car pick up day 2 days later she just showed up and picked it up.
You saved net $600 but didn't get the car you ordered. Who got screwed? Trust me, dealers rarely do.

Last edited:
Back