Tire wear

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
My 2016 CX-5 GT has 26k miles on it and the original Toyo tires have really worn. I will have to replace it before 30k miles for sure to avoid it being a safety risk. I only drive on paved roads and never drive rash. Is this kind of tread-wear normal? I never had to replace tires before 32-35k miles in any of my previous cars.

When I replace the tires, I would like to go with something that offers more passenger comfort and much lesser tire noise than the Toyos. Any recommendations?

Personally - want to keep stocks for 40K or up. I have 17s. I will probably get low rolling resistance to see if that improves freeway mileage. Quieter the better.

Is this normal? Geez... the stock tires on my 2008 Escape I just replaced a couple months. At 140k miles. Original battery replaced last year. The idea of replacing $400 tires every 30k miles is kinda scary, y'all.

My 2016 CX-5 GT has 26k miles on it and the original Toyo tires have really worn. I will have to replace it before 30k miles for sure to avoid it being a safety risk. I only drive on paved roads and never drive rash. Is this kind of tread-wear normal? I never had to replace tires before 32-35k miles in any of my previous cars.

When I replace the tires, I would like to go with something that offers more passenger comfort and much lesser tire noise than the Toyos. Any recommendations?

Everybody disses the Toyos I happen to think they're a great blend of comfort and handling for the CX-5, pretty quiet too. Way too high replacement cost and relatively quick wear were the downsides.
I say were because now the A23s are 189 a piece still high but reasonable and worth it imo at least vs the Pirelli Cinturatos which per my experience and contrary to many- suck.
More options now- I'd consider the General RT43, Mich Premier and Conti Pure one of the latter 2 would probably be my choice BUT...this just in
Toyo A36 (new OE on the '17 GTs) just came online @tirerack for drumroll please $125 per...still just a 300 treadwear (same as before) but that's a super nice price and unless I was going for more performance is my new choice in stock GT size.

Last edited:
My 2016 CX-5 Touring has Yokohama Geolanders; not sure if they were stock, as I purchased it with 18k on it, but I'm pretty confident they were original. I now am approaching 36k, and still have good tread remaining. I'm pleased with noise and handling, but will probably look into Michelin when it comes time to replace.

Our CX-5 has around 19.4k miles and the oem Toyo tires have around 6/32 tread left. That is the minimum limit for snow driving on all season tires. It didn't snow in DFW at all this winter, so I never got to try it in snow. It still has decent handling when it's dry, but I think it is horrible in the wet. When it gets down to 4/32 tread left, I will replace it with 245/50/19 Continental DWS06 tires.

I've seen many on these forums make the same complain about replacing original tires at 30K miles. I also had the same faith, I replaced at about 32K miles. Upon closer inspection on the spec on the OE Yoko tires it became apparent that they're rated for 30K miles.

Our CX-5 has around 19.4k miles and the oem Toyo tires have around 6/32 tread left. That is the minimum limit for snow driving on all season tires. It didn't snow in DFW at all this winter, so I never got to try it in snow. It still has decent handling when it's dry, but I think it is horrible in the wet. When it gets down to 4/32 tread left, I will replace it with 245/50/19 Continental DWS06 tires.

Mine has 4/32 left at 26k miles. I had no idea these tires had such a short lifespan. Is this normal?

Mine has 4/32 left at 26k miles. I had no idea these tires had such a short lifespan. Is this normal?

I will say that is normal for OEM tires and Mazda. On my previous Mazdas, I was replacing tires at around 25k miles. The CX-5 OEM tires also only has a 300 treadwear rating, so I'm not really expecting it to last longer than 35k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had 51,000 on mine and just put Michelin Premer's on, and its a huge improvement in ride quality, handling, and road noise reduction.

I just took delivery of a 2017, and the Toyo A36 tires that are on her have a treadwear rating of 300. That equates roughly to 30,000- 50,000 mile replacement interval depending on a host of other factors. On the plus side, its likely that the softer tires greatly enhance grip and reduce NVH while driving. I generally try and buy tires with treadwear of 400 or greater....lets see how these do....

The OE Toyo A23 tires on CX-5 GT has UTQG rating at "300 A A". Like Ricsta said, 300 on treadwear grade means the tire should last about 30,000 miles. And 4/32" left at 26K miles you're doing much better than us! Our AWD GT has 17,907 miles and the tread depth right now is only 5/32" and I rotate tires every 5,000 miles as recommended by Mazda. I keep tire pressure at 39 psi and tread wear is even on all four tires. Our CX-5 is wife's daily-driver only in city's stop-and-go traffic, so the shorter tread life is kind of expected! FYI I did measure the tread depth when the tires were new. It was 9/32", not 10/32" like most new tires although the spec from Toyo says 9.8/32"!

I posted a list of available 225/55R19 tires a while ago with specs and ratings:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

I personally would choose General AltiMAX RT43 225/55R19 99H as the replacement before 30,000 miles based on its light weight (24.4lbs)、high maximum inflation pressure (51 psi)、good UTQG (700 A A)、excellent reviews、and low price with added benefits of smoother and softer ride than A23. Several members here used RT43 and all of them like it. Continental TrueContact with this size has very similar specs and that would be my second choice.

In case you're not sure, you can go to Houston's Discount Tire to order and install General tires within a day as the tire size on GT is not popular.

Is this normal? Geez... the stock tires on my 2008 Escape I just replaced a couple months. At 140k miles. Original battery replaced last year. The idea of replacing $400 tires every 30k miles is kinda scary, y'all.

Not normal. The stock Toyo's are just crap, I think. My Cross Contact LX20's have 30K and counting, and look great. Wear is even, and while I don't have actual numbers on the tread depth, I'd say at least 6-7/32 left. At least. Tires rotated once every 5K miles with oil changes.

Not normal. The stock Toyo's are just crap, I think. My Cross Contact LX20's have 30K and counting, and look great. Wear is even, and while I don't have actual numbers on the tread depth, I'd say at least 6-7/32 left. At least. Tires rotated once every 5K miles with oil changes.

Yes it is normal, just look at the differences between the TREADWEAR RATING #'s.

The LX20 CrossCONTACTS have a treadwear rating of 740. So they should go at least double, nearly 2.5x longer than the Factory tires.

If only long tread life is important, than that is the only number you need to look at.

There really is never a perfect tire for a vehicle for all situations, it is nearly always a compromise. The stock tires for the CX-5 are meant to be good in the normal conditions most drivers will encounter, as well as be quiet, fuel efficient, and still be responsive. Any "abnormal" conditions like off-road, freezing temps, deep snow, racing on a track, etc. should all have the correct specialty tire for that condition installed.

Last edited:

You know that's not even remotely normal, right? 140K? I hope you bought the exact same kind. What were they? Where do you live?

Had 48k km on OEM tires. Down to 4/32. Swap to Michelin - Premier LTX, manufacture claim 100,000 Km Treadlife Warranty.
I feel like mazda cheap out on tires, brakes, wipers and battery. Anything consider normal wear and tear, so you can't make a warranty claim.

Had 48k km on OEM tires. Down to 4/32. Swap to Michelin - Premier LTX, manufacture claim 100,000 Km Treadlife Warranty.
I feel like mazda cheap out on tires, brakes, wipers and battery. Anything consider normal wear and tear, so you can't make a warranty claim.
They didn't cheap out on tires, far from it. Toyo tires are great, and perform well. What do you expect with a 300 tread rating. Made for more performance with a softer rubber. I will be switching to the Generals when the time comes, as IMO they're the best tire made for the money.

Guys would have a cow if they maintained my Evo, I got 14k out of the stockers. Lol

They didn't cheap out on tires, far from it. Toyo tires are great, and perform well. What do you expect with a 300 tread rating. Made for more performance with a softer rubber. I will be switching to the Generals when the time comes, as IMO they're the best tire made for the money.

Guys would have a cow if they maintained my Evo, I got 14k out of the stockers. Lol
LOL! Yes! Mazda Rx-7 also had some 140 treadwears on it. Some folks did get almost 20k miles, but most were up by 15k

This. Indeed treadwear and cost are usually opposite of each other!

Back