2017 CX-5 GT or equivalent 2.5L AWD performance

:
'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a Grand Touring (in Australia it's equivalent is called Akera and the model below is called GT) and wanting to know how the 2.5L AWD performs from new owners out there.

• What 0-62mph (0-100km/h) times have you achieved?

• Is performance still OK with 2-3 people on board?

• How does it perform going up hills/inclines?

Thank you in advance

Regards,

X'8ing

Last edited:
I have a 2015 AWD 2.5

It's a total slug, but you also have to consider that I'm coming from vehicles with tons more power, big V8's, etc.

As far as how it performs compared to other things in its class, it's toward the upper end of the pack. I have achieved 0-60mph times of around 7.8 seconds. Same as the magazines get.
I took my father (220#, myself 200#, and his wife, 145#?) on a drive incliding some very steep hills here in the Ozark mountains, and it did just fine. I was not at all put off by it, as compared to when it was just me driving. The torque delivery of the 2.5L engine is VERY competent. It's like a little bitty V8 more than it is a 4-banger.

I have a 2015 AWD 2.5

It's a total slug, but you also have to consider that I'm coming from vehicles with tons more power, big V8's, etc.

As far as how it performs compared to other things in its class, it's toward the upper end of the pack. I have achieved 0-60mph times of around 7.8 seconds. Same as the magazines get.
I took my father (220#, myself 200#, and his wife, 145#?) on a drive incliding some very steep hills here in the Ozark mountains, and it did just fine. I was not at all put off by it, as compared to when it was just me driving. The torque delivery of the 2.5L engine is VERY competent. It's like a little bitty V8 more than it is a 4-banger.

I will be coming from a 2015 Mazda 6 so the motor is the same except for torque arrives at 3200rpm for the 6 and 4000rpm for the CX-5

Also, the new Akera (your GT equivalent) weighs 40kg (88 pounds) more coming at 1670kg (3682 pounds).

So if 0-60 times are in the low 8 seconds and still has good grunt, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
I will be coming from a 2015 Mazda 6 so the motor is the same except for torque arrives at 3200rpm for the 6 and 4000rpm for the CX-5

Also, the new Akera (your GT equivalent) weighs 40kg (88 pounds) more coming at 1670kg (3682 pounds).

So if 0-60 times are in the low 8 seconds and still has good grunt, I'll be happy.

Should be in the high 7 second range, although I don't know your altitude there. I am at about 1200ft. It's not fast, but it is safe to drive in traffic.

Should be in the high 7 second range, although I don't know your altitude there. I am at about 1200ft. It's not fast, but it is safe to drive in traffic.

We are 62ft (19m).

High 7s to mid 8s is fine by me

Many thanks for your comments.

For those interested, first official 2.5L performance figures et al:

Capture.png

I am happy with the 0-60 and quarter mile times :)

Last edited:
For those interested, first official 2.5L performance figures et al:

Capture.png

I am happy with the 0-60 and quarter mile times :)

Wow! My 2015 is a half second faster to 60 and through the quarter. Those are almost 2.0 times! Handling looks worse, too.

Wow! My 2015 is a half second faster to 60 and through the quarter. Those are almost 2.0 times! Handling looks worse, too.

Extra 141lb is reason why times are slower.

New 2017 CX-5 2.0L will be even slower than previous 2.0L because of this extra weight.

Aussies are not to concerned with skid pan etc

As mentioned earlier, I am happy with 0-60/quarter times

Extra 141lb is reason why times are slower.

New 2017 CX-5 2.0L will be even slower than previous 2.0L because of this extra weight.

Aussies are not to concerned with skid pan etc

As mentioned earlier, I am happy with 0-60/quarter times

Nah man. 140# does not shave almost 2.5mph off a trap speed. Besides, it's 100 and change, not 140 and change.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mazda-cx-5-25l-awd-test-review

Betting their tuning tweaks made it slower.

Ps. Love how people here dogged the crv and rav 4 for being slow. Now it's the cx5 bringing up the rear.

Last edited:
Nah man. 140# does not shave almost 2.5mph off a trap speed. Besides, it's 100 and change, not 140 and change.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mazda-cx-5-25l-awd-test-review

Betting their tuning tweaks made it slower.

Ps. Love how people here dogged the crv and rav 4 for being slow. Now it's the cx5 bringing up the rear.

Each to their own :)

Tuned to be more responsive off the line but it is essentially the same engine hauling more weight.

Here is the review where I pulled the figures from:

2017 MAZDA CX-5 GRAND TOURING AWD FIRST TEST

"Despite the 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring AWDs 3-horsepower advantage, its extra 141 pounds of curb weight work against it. The 060-mph acceleration run takes the new CX-5 8.4 seconds to complete compared to the old CX-5s 7.8-second run. The same story continues at the dragstrip. The 2017 CX-5 needs 16.4 seconds to run through the quarter mile, hitting 83.8 mph; its slightly older brother needs 16.0 seconds and blows through the gates at 85.0 mph."

Off the track, they said:

"Around town, the 2017 CX-5 feels zippy and quick. The naturally aspirated I-4 revs quickly and makes a decent chunk of power right off the line, so the driver is never left wanting more power."

For me I suspect 0-62mph would be 8.5-8.7 seconds which is fine by me and so long as it has enough power for going up hills and overtaking (sports mode when needed), I am OK with that.

I will find out for myself when I go for a test drive soonish.

Back